Grilling Notes - Reverse Sear Ribeye Tuesday (Trailblazer & Bullseye) - 8 December 2020

Sscottfitz

Grill(s) owned
  1. Trailblazer
  2. Bullseye
Tonight’s grill is VERY similar to the NY Strips we did a few weeks ago, but with some cheaper cuts of steak from our local grocer (Brookshires) - I know you thought I was going to say Walmart, but we actually do have a choice with grocers near us, not a LOT of choices, but we do have some choice.....<grin>.

• Grill Locations: Hot Springs Village, AR.; 34 37 60.0N 92 54 55.4W - another beautiful late afternoon late Fall Tuesday afternoon into night….(easy to do this time of year….)
  • Weather at time of Grill: ALMOST mid December, and still in the mid 60’s (this is a real treat!) Temp ~64F, Humidity ~32% (weather guessers are calling for temps in the 70's tomorrow and Thursday!
  • Total Event Time: ~58 Min Includes ribeye rub, minimal grill prep, general lolly gagging, etc.
  • Grill Plates: Trailblazer - No; Bullseye - Yes (Just used one of the two we purchased for the Trailblazer on the Bullseye)
  • Temp Probes: Trailblazer: Yes for the smoking period, Bullseye: No
  • Pellets Used: Rec Tec Ultimate Blend

• Meat & Meat Prep
    • Meat: 2 x ~10oz. Pre Packaged Boneless Ribeyes (Brookshire's)
    • Total Meat Prep Time: ~2 min, “Private Selection” Expresso Rub w/olive oil as a binder
    • Meat on:
      • Trailblazer at 17:06 CST, probes say starting temp for Ribeyes is ~55F, smoke the strips for ~30 min with a target temp of ~100F - actual time to target was ~30 min (17:36 CST) - we hit the mark on the smoking portion of this cook.
      • Bullseye 17:50 CST, no probes, ~ 3 min per side on the smooth side of the grill grate. Targeted 145F NOTE: We totally missed the runway on these.....they were both ~165 by the time we got them off the grill, my solution was A1 sauce (makes over cooked meat better), but the spouse wasn't as happy as she prefers med-rare. So next time, her's will come off at probably 2 min both sides if not less than that.....
      • Seasoned Butter added at presentation

• Sides:
    • Oven baked asparagus
    • 1/2 Baked Tater w/butter & chunks of blue cheese

Misc Grill Observations - all times are CST
  • Total Grill Time: ~30 Min (Trailblazer) ~25 Min (Bullseye)
    • Grill Start to Trailblazer Target Temp LOW F: ~61F to 180F (~16:55-17:02 C ST) ~7 min..
    • Grill Start to Bullseye Target Temp 450F: ~62F to 450F ~ (17:33-17:52 CST) ~19 min.
  • Grill plate used on top of OEM stainless steel grill top

General Comments:
  • Griller’s support tool of choice: Our staple, Robert Strong Pinot Noir.
  • This was our 2nd attempt at a “reverse sear” albeit a different cut of meat. As stated earlier, NOT our best effort, maybe because the steaks were a little thinner (~.75") but we definitely over cooked these ribeyes.
  • Contemplating a "Seafood themed" Christmas event, along with an uncooked Turkey breast.

Attachments

• Ribeyes Meat Label 20201208.jpeg
    Ribeyes Meat Label 20201208.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 115
  • Ribeyes Rubbed and Ready 20201208.jpeg
    Ribeyes Rubbed and Ready 20201208.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 78
  • Asparagus and Seasoned Butter 20201208.jpeg
    Asparagus and Seasoned Butter 20201208.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 91
  • Ribeyes on for Smoking 20201208.jpeg
    Ribeyes on for Smoking 20201208.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 83
  • Ribeyes Just off the Trailblazer 20201208.jpeg
    Ribeyes Just off the Trailblazer 20201208.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 83
  • Ribeyes Just on the Bullseye 20201208.jpeg
    Ribeyes Just on the Bullseye 20201208.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 87
  • Making Grilling Notes 20201208.jpeg
    Making Grilling Notes 20201208.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 109
  • Flipping Ribeyes 20201208.jpeg
    Flipping Ribeyes 20201208.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 96
  • Overcooked Ribeyes 20201208.jpeg
    Overcooked Ribeyes 20201208.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 81
  • Plated Ribeyes 20201208.jpeg
    Plated Ribeyes 20201208.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 84
@Sscottfitz not bad when you “miss” and it looks that good. Nice view over your shoulder too!

I'll 2nd that view.. priceless.

Overall looks delicious!

Do you think it was just that 3 min per side sear that overcooked them? I'm surprised it was that quick.

I'll 2nd that view.. priceless.

Overall looks delicious!

Do you think it was just that 3 min per side sear that overcooked them? I'm surprised it was that quick.
sdynak, so I think there were probably multiple factors (having had some time to reflect). 1) Clearly the Bullseye is hotter than our Trailblazer, not 100% sure WHY, but pretty sure it just is. 2) Thinner cut of beef that our previous "reverse sear", and 3) we used the Grill Plates, which increase the heat even more (which they are supposed to do....) So I think all of those factors contributed to it, so next time, we'll make a simple adjustment of "less time".

Thanks for sharing.. I just ordered the grill plates even though I'm still waiting on the Bull to arrive. They do seem like the sear function helps with them getting hotter so I'll be watching when I use them. Glad you posted this as it helps everyone. Grill On :).

The Bullseye is hotter than the other recteqs. It’s more of a direct flame grill than a convection oven. As a loose guideline, I’ll set the Bullseye 25-50* lower than what I would set the Bull to for the same cook.

The Bullseye is hotter than the other recteqs. It’s more of a direct flame grill than a convection oven. As a loose guideline, I’ll set the Bullseye 25-50* lower than what I would set the Bull to for the same cook.
Agree 100%, I also wonder if the "shallower" cooking area contributes to the higher heat. Don't get me wrong, I really like this grill, we're just learning all of it's nuances, especially compared to the Trailblazer. We're just in the "learning process". One reason I like this forum, it speeds up the learning process by exposure to other's experiences.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back