Grilling Notes: Masters Meatloaf Sunday - 15 November 2020

Sscottfitz

Grill(s) owned
  1. Trailblazer
  2. Bullseye
  • Grill Location: Hot Springs Village, AR.; 34 37 60.0N 92 54 55.4W - a great end of the weekend. mid November Fall afternoon/early evening.
  • Weather at time of Grill: A little breezy today (front moved thru overnight) but a very typical low 60s Fall day. Temp ~62F, Humidity 27%
  • Total Grill Time: ~1 Hr. 57 Min (16:23 - 18:20 CST)
  • Total Event Time: ~2 Hr, 28 Min (Includes Meatloaf prep, Smoking and Cooking periods).
  • Grill Plates: N/A
  • Temp Probes: No, using mobile temp probe
  • Pellets Used: Rec Tec Ultimate Blend

• Meat & Meat Prep
    • NOTE: This is based on the Rec Teq recipe on their website called "BACON MEATLOAF WITH SRIRACHA BOURBON KETCHUP” - https://www.recteq.com/bacon-meatloaf-with-sriracha-bourbon-ketchup but our version is ~50% of their published recipie as we had ~1 lb. of ground beef.
    • Meat: 80/20% “ Premium” Ground Beef (Walmart)
    • Total Meat Prep Time: Not including the thaw period, ~15 min - meatloaf mixing.
    • Meatloaf mounted on cast iron skillet for both smoking and cooking periods.
    • Meat Loaf on for smoking period at ~16:23 CST
    • 2nd Glaze applied at ~17:27 CST (probably dropped temps to ~168 before ramping up to the cooking temp of 350F

• Sides:
    • Spinach, blue berry, pecan salad with a vinaigrette dressing
    • Reheat of some leftover Spatzel & Risotto (that is how us “Retired Folks Roll”…..) - we call if “Refrigerator Management”……<grin>

• Grill Helpers:
    • Current Year Makers Mark & Ginger Ale (Kentucky) for me, Deb had a 2018 Pinot Noir (Robert Strong)

Misc Grill Observations - all times are CST
  • Grill Start to Target Temp Smoke: 63F to Smoke 200 F ~7 min (16:14-16:21 CST)
    • Smoked for ~60 min
  • Grill Smoke Setting (200F) to 350F: 7 Min (17:28-17:35 CST)
  • Meat first on the grill at ~16:23 CST
  • Achieved target temp of ~165F (meat loaf core temp) - in ~54 min at 18:20 CST

General Comments:

• This is another “First Time” for meatloaf on the Trailblazer for us - inspired by a neighbor telling us they were cooking meatloaf yesterday……<grin> That is how old retired folks are inspired…...
  • This IS the way to cook meatloaf - although I think we could still add a little more “spiciness”to the ground beef - it was still a great tasting meatloaf!
  • SIDE NOTE: So in there was a “ potentially alcohol induced” purchase placed on Friday evening (13th) with RecTeq. Pretty sure I purchased a Bullseye (RTB-380) w/cover for the back patio. This will enable us to 1) retire our charcoal field “smokey joe” we’ve been using for most burger cooks for the last 1.5 years, and 2) reserve the Trailblazer as a primary smoker and backup grill. Already received notification from RecTeq that the grill is “on the way”!
  • Really glad to see Dustin Johnson FINALLY get a green jacket at the Masters today (yes I'm still a golfer at heart!) - I actually attended the 3rd round of the Masters in April of 1982 while attending the Signal Officers Basic Course, Ft. Gordon, GA. That was the year Craig Stadler won. If you EVER get a chance to attend, it is worth the effort - it was a life experience I'll never forget!

Attachments

• Packaged Groundbeef 20201115.jpeg
    Packaged Groundbeef 20201115.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 181
  • Meatloaf Fixings 20201115.jpeg
    Meatloaf Fixings 20201115.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 85
  • 1st Coat on Meatloaf 20201115.jpeg
    1st Coat on Meatloaf 20201115.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 97
  • In Process Bacon Covering Meatloaf 20201115.jpeg
    In Process Bacon Covering Meatloaf 20201115.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 89
  • Grilling Helpers 20201115.jpeg
    Grilling Helpers 20201115.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 83
  • Coating Smoked Bacon Covered Meatloaf 20201115.jpeg
    Coating Smoked Bacon Covered Meatloaf 20201115.jpeg
    656.1 KB · Views: 79
  • Salads 20201115.jpeg
    Salads 20201115.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 82
  • Meatloaf Ready for Serving 20201115.jpeg
    Meatloaf Ready for Serving 20201115.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 78
  • Plated Meatloaf wtih Sides 20201115.jpeg
    Plated Meatloaf wtih Sides 20201115.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 79
Another awesome cook @Sscottfitz, I’m jealous....of the meat loaf sure, but mostly that you walked Augusta National! What a treat. That is definitely a bucket list item for me. I got to Play Pebble Beach with my son and to be able to walk Augusta would be right up there. What a beautiful course.

Another awesome cook @Sscottfitz, I’m jealous....of the meat loaf sure, but mostly that you walked Augusta National! What a treat. That is definitely a bucket list item for me. I got to Play Pebble Beach with my son and to be able to walk Augusta would be right up there. What a beautiful course.
Thanks, and it was (and probably still is) a 3D post card, almost so perfect it was surreal...... Also, to see professional golfers in real life, play a game with which I am unfamiliar.....<grin>

"refrigerator management" :ROFLMAO: (y)
Rather have the Maker's straight, but do what ya do.................

Meatloaf on the trailblazer is one of our favorite meals. Will have to try the bacon wrap. One variation you may try is to put on a grill mat. It allows smoke to penetrate on alk 4 sides. Your gonna like the bullseye.

Makers is a great helper.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Back