Grilling Notes - Friday Night BBQ Pork Burgers (Hello Fresh) - Bullseye - 4 Dec 2020

Sscottfitz

Grill(s) owned
  1. Trailblazer
  2. Bullseye
Note: This is the primary reason we grabbed a Bullseye - quick easy grill prep, and throw on some burgers, etc. Note, we are trying out a new cast iron 22” grill grate recommended by a good friend in the D.C. area, this will be in lieu of the OEM stainless steel grill that comes with the Bullseye.

• Grill Location: Hot Springs Village, AR.; 34 37 60.0N 92 54 55.4W - after two days of “crappy cool rainy/cloudy weather, the sun has come out and produced a “not so bad” late Fall afternoon.
  • Weather at time of Grill: Mostly clear, with a nice sun setting over Whiskey Cove. Temp ~49F, Humidity 53%.
  • Total Grill Time: ~40 Min (17:02 - 17:42 CST)
  • Total Event Time: ~72 Min (Includes couple of min to plug in and uncover the Bullseye, pull the tater-tots out of the freezer, turn on the recteq, food prep, cooking, etc.)
  • Grill Plates: No, but as mentioned above, we are trying out a 22” cast iron grill grate we picked up off Amazon - it’s advertised as a Webber Kettle replacement grill top
  • Temp Probes: N/A
  • Pellets Used: Rec Tec Ultimate Blend

• Meat & Meat Prep
    • Meat: Small package (10 oz.) of Ground Pork (provided from Hello Fresh), two patties
    • Total Meat Prep Time: ~10 min, This recipe includes adding carmelized onions, Fry Seasoning, & salt into the patties, the HF directions call for frying the pork patties, we’re using the grill instead
    • Meat on at ~17:23 CST

• Sides:
    • Tater Tots (Walmart) w/ Momma’s Mayo-Siracha sauce dip. (it could almost me any hot sauce, we just happen to like this one)….

Misc Grill Observations - all times are CDT
  • Grill Start to Target Temp 57F to 375F ~ 18 min (17:02 - 17:20 CST)
    • Noticed that the grill seemed to “stall out” when heating up to the target temp, it wasn’t a big deal, but it was probably a good 5~8 min at 265F……after I thought about it, I’m attributing “this momentary stall” to the new cast iron grill grate which sets very close to the internal recteq temp probe. After it heated up, the grill progressed nicely to the target temp of 375F - just an observation....
  • Cooked each pattie ~ 8 min per side, off the grill at (17:42 CST) Note: We took the patties off the grill without checking temps……they went back on for a couple of minutes on each side - as most of you know, you do NOT want to undercook pork.

General Comments:

• We have several meals from Hello Fresh that we absolutely love……..this one was NOT one of them. It wasn’t bad, but it was nothing to write home about…...
  • Definitely learning some lessons about when you change stuff out (especially hardware on a grill) , it can impact what you “think you know” about grill performance, food cook times, etc. Lesson Learned…….I’m still learning new stuff everytime I do a cook! I try to document what I see, do “some analysis”, but most importantly, sharing it with the community is my payback, is that is how I learn...
  • Note that I did hit the "mode switch" on my Pergola LED lights placing it in "Christmas Mode", that MAY be about as "Christmasy" as we get this year.....
  • I still love this grill, although each time I cook with it, I learn how to use it better......

Attachments

• Grill Time Sunset 20201204.jpeg
    Grill Time Sunset 20201204.jpeg
    4.8 MB · Views: 183
  • Today - 1 of 1.jpeg
    Today - 1 of 1.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 65
  • Pork Burgers On 20201204.jpeg
    Pork Burgers On 20201204.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 69
  • Pergoal LED Lights Christmas Setting 20201204.jpeg
    Pergoal LED Lights Christmas Setting 20201204.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 67
  • Light Reflections Top of Bullseye 20201204.jpeg
    Light Reflections Top of Bullseye 20201204.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 74
  • Pork Burgers Off the Grill 20201204.jpeg
    Pork Burgers Off the Grill 20201204.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 65
  • Plated HF BBQ Pork Burgers LV 20201204.jpeg
    Plated HF BBQ Pork Burgers LV 20201204.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 67
  • Close up HF BBQ Pork Burgers 20201204.jpeg
    Close up HF BBQ Pork Burgers 20201204.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 69
Hi Sscottfitz,
I just ordered the cast iron grate for my Bullseye. Is there any break-in or seasoning required for the grate??
I have read several posts where the grates have broken or cracked in a very short time of usage.
Thanks,
Chris

Hi Sscottfitz,
I just ordered the cast iron grate for my Bullseye. Is there any break-in or seasoning required for the grate??
I have read several posts where the grates have broken or cracked in a very short time of usage.
Thanks,
Chris
Chris, no break-in that I’ve heard of, but I’ve only done one cook on mine so far. I’ve not heard of any problems but it’s possible I just hadn’t heard. Good question and now I’m sensitive to a potential issues, I’ll be in the lookout. Thanks.

Chris, no break-in that I’ve heard of, but I’ve only done one cook on mine so far. I’ve not heard of any problems but it’s possible I just hadn’t heard. Good question and now I’m sensitive to a potential issues, I’ll be in the lookout. Thanks.
Check out the reviews for the grate this is the one that I ordered.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back