GrillGrate Feedback?

I'm thinking about getting the GrillGrate for my pellet grill and wondering if picture perfect sear marks is a possibility?

Thanks for your time....

Chris
I love the grill grates. They really come in handy for high temp cooks like steak and hamburgers. check out the grill grate sear marks on my filets

Attachments

• 20210128_183032.jpg
    20210128_183032.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 60
I love the grill grates. They really come in handy for high temp cooks like steak and hamburgers. check out the grill grate sear marks on my filets
I may order them, filets look tasty!

I'm thinking about getting the GrillGrate for my pellet grill and wondering if picture perfect sear marks is a possibility?

Thanks for your time....

Chris
I got a set of Grill Grates with my RT-680 almost 5 years ago and they work well. But as others have said it takes time to get a pellet grill up to 450º (or higher) from a smoke temp at 225º to properly sear. The grill will certainly do it but I just don't like my already smoked meat sitting on a platter waiting. Searing takes only 8 or so minutes so (2+2+2+2) and to me it doesn't add much additional smoke flavor. So since I have a big gas grill already built into my cooking ramada I just smoke my meat at 225º on the Rec Tec and when it gets close to pull temp (for searing, not for eating) I fire up the gas grill which quickly heats to 500º with all burners going. I keep the Grill Grates inside the gas grill so as soon as it is pull time I move the meat from the Rec Tec to the gasser and quickly sear it while the Rec Tec starts its cool down. Personal preference but it works quickly and zero additional cleanup. Attached pic is a 3 1/2 lb cowboy cut Angus rib eye from Valentine's Day cooked that way, 1 hr 45 minutes at 225º and 8 minutes of sear on the Grill Grates at 500º. So yes, they work well, it just depends on how much time you want to spend getting them to searing temperature.

Attachments

• IMG_2484.jpeg
    IMG_2484.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 86
I got a set of Grill Grates with my RT-680 almost 5 years ago and they work well. But as others have said it takes time to get a pellet grill up to 450º (or higher) from a smoke temp at 225º to properly sear. The grill will certainly do it but I just don't like my already smoked meat sitting on a platter waiting. Searing takes only 8 or so minutes so (2+2+2+2) and to me it doesn't add much additional smoke flavor. So since I have a big gas grill already built into my cooking ramada I just smoke my meat at 225º on the Rec Tec and when it gets close to pull temp (for searing, not for eating) I fire up the gas grill which quickly heats to 500º with all burners going. I keep the Grill Grates inside the gas grill so as soon as it is pull time I move the meat from the Rec Tec to the gasser and quickly sear it while the Rec Tec starts its cool down. Personal preference but it works quickly and zero additional cleanup. Attached pic is a 3 1/2 lb cowboy cut Angus rib eye from Valentine's Day cooked that way, 1 hr 45 minutes at 225º and 8 minutes of sear on the Grill Grates at 500º. So yes, they work well, it just depends on how much time you want to spend getting them to searing temperature.
That's like picture perfect.

I thought about getting a set for my 700. But it takes sooooo long for the 700 to get hot enough. I have a small 17” Blackstone griddle I use for searing. Heats up to full blast in about 10-15 min depending on outside temp. Only cost a couple bucks more than the grill grates and can do so many other things.

Attachments

• 07BD4653-5BE1-4516-A298-9B81453F2F92.jpeg
    07BD4653-5BE1-4516-A298-9B81453F2F92.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 77
I thought about getting a set for my 700. But it takes sooooo long for the 700 to get hot enough. I have a small 17” Blackstone griddle I use for searing. Heats up to full blast in about 10-15 min depending on outside temp. Only cost a couple bucks more than the grill grates and can do so many other things.
Great idea!

I'm going to cut against the grain here. I don't use my Bull for anything that needs searing. I fire up a charcoal grill or gas grill. For a steak, I only use mesquite lump charcoal and chunk mesquite on my komado, with a fire basket raising the charcoal to within a couple inches of the cast iron grate. Just before putting on a steak, I put some chunks of mesquite wood around the outside of the fire basket and get it smoking, then put the steak on and close the lid. Usually a few minutes a side over the coals, then a few off to the side with the lid closed, plate it, cover with foil and dish towel for 15 mins, will get me medium rare.

I'm going to cut against the grain here. I don't use my Bull for anything that needs searing. I fire up a charcoal grill or gas grill. For a steak, I only use mesquite lump charcoal and chunk mesquite on my komado, with a fire basket raising the charcoal to within a couple inches of the cast iron grate. Just before putting on a steak, I put some chunks of mesquite wood around the outside of the fire basket and get it smoking, then put the steak on and close the lid. Usually a few minutes a side over the coals, then a few off to the side with the lid closed, plate it, cover with foil and dish towel for 15 mins, will get me medium rare.
@Roaniecowpony you're not going against the grain.
I didn't realize that folks used other methods for searing. This is what makes this hobby addiction fun and a learning experience.

Hmmm, I have that same weber grate, never thought of just transferring that to the 590. Thanks
Yeah, this stuff is all interchangeable.

Thanks for your time....

Chris
I love my grill grates but I use it on my green egg, not the 700. I'm fortunate to be able to have the space and the wife that tolerates my BBQ disorder. Pellet grills in general are a good all around cooker but not the "best" with everything. A good heavy sear needs a lot of direct high heat, so steaks I use charcoal. Wings at 400 indirect I use my 700, burgers I use a flattop. Ribs, butts, etc I use the 700. not everyone has the space for more then one grill/smoker so if thats your situation then the grill grates will help consintrate the heat on your meat.

I love my grill grates but I use it on my green egg, not the 700. I'm fortunate to be able to have the space and the wife that tolerates my BBQ disorder. Pellet grills in general are a good all around cooker but not the "best" with everything. A good heavy sear needs a lot of direct high heat, so steaks I use charcoal. Wings at 400 indirect I use my 700, burgers I use a flattop. Ribs, butts, etc I use the 700. not everyone has the space for more then one grill/smoker so if thats your situation then the grill grates will help consintrate the heat on your meat.
I ordered the GGs and tried them on my Bullseye, I need some more practice.

Don't ever get rid of anything you never know when you will need it and from what I read these Grill Grates will work great on the Bullseye too.
Yes, the Bullseye will use 2 of the 3 grates for the 700 just fine. GrillGrates does have a sale on seconds for the Bullseye right now, and I can’t see a thing wrong with them.
EBAAFD23-B7EA-4AC3-96C6-01FBFACDD6A2.jpeg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back