Trailblazer Grill Notes: "Salmon Sunday" - 9 August 2020

Sscottfitz

Grill(s) owned
  1. Trailblazer
  2. Bullseye
This was a Late Sunday evening, "Need to cook that Salmon that's been in the freezer way too long tonight or throw it out" cook....... So the wife made up a marinade, soaked the Salmon for a couple of hours, cranked up the Trailblazer, and had a pretty decent Sunday evening Salmon dinner.
  • Grill Location: Hot Springs Village, AR.; 34 37 60.0N 92 54 55.4W - late afternoon, under the Grill Gazebo.
  • Weather at time of Grill: Normal August Summer weather has returned to Arkansas…..Hot & Humid!, but know thunderstorms, so that’s a positve....Temp ~92F, Humidity ~55% (Heat Index 102)
  • Total Grill Time: 38 Min
  • Total Event Time: ~2 Hr, 40 Min (Includes marinade time, grill time, and plating)
  • Grill Start to Target Temp 350F: 110F to 350F ~10 min
  • Grill Plates: No
  • Pellets Used: Rec Tec Ultimate Blend
  • Temp Probes: Yes, x2

• Meat & Meat Prep
    • Meat: 3 x Salmon Filets of various sizes (taken out of the deep freeze & thawed - use or lose….)
    • Total Meat Prep Time: ~1hr in a homemade marinade that includes Asian Persuasion rub, Soy Sauce, Maple Syrup, Ginger, Garlic, Balsamic Vinegar, & Green Onions)
    • Meat on at 17:23 CDT, at ~69F internal temps,
    • Salmon Target Temps: ~140 F for removal, (+ 5 min post grill cook time during cool down….) NOTE: Got distracted by the NASCAR race, so the actual temps got up to ~158 - my bad - but the Salmon was fine!

• Sides:
    • Asparagus [thin and not the best, but it was what we had……] (Kitchen prepared & cooked in the oven)
    • Saffron Risotto (Kitchen prepared & cooked on the Range)

Misc Grill Observations - all times are CDT
  • 350F seems to be the “magic fish cook temp” for this grill
  • Used dual temp probes, one per thickest filet, thinnest filet not probed…..(don’t have a 3rd probe…..)

General Comments:

• This smoker/grill is perfect for fish!
  • Temp probes reliability & confidence in them continue to improve
  • August is HOT & HUMID!

Attachments

• Pre-Grill Marinade -Rub 20200809.jpeg
    Pre-Grill Marinade -Rub 20200809.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 222
  • Trailblazer Warming Up 20200809.jpeg
    Trailblazer Warming Up 20200809.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 84
  • Just on Grill Mat 20200809.jpeg
    Just on Grill Mat 20200809.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 95
  • Glaze on Salmon at the End 20200809.jpeg
    Glaze on Salmon at the End 20200809.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 95
  • Asparagus in Oven 20200809.jpeg
    Asparagus in Oven 20200809.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 87
  • Saffron Risotto Side Prep 20200809.jpeg
    Saffron Risotto Side Prep 20200809.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 103
  • Plated Salmon and Sides 20200809.jpeg
    Plated Salmon and Sides 20200809.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 90
Nice cook, Sscottfitz! I've done salmon a couple times since getting my Stampede in June. I used the "Lo" (aka Smoke) setting for about 1/2 hour to get a bit of smokey flavor in them and then cranked it up to ~325 or so for a couple minutes to finish it off and crisp the skin. I think the initial time at Lo helped render some of the fat from the skin, allowing it to crisp up without drying the salmon flesh.

Dang that looks good! My wife is allergic to shellfish and really, I mean REALLY doesn’t like fish, and I love both. In normal times, she travels quite a bit for work so I have plenty of opportunity to satisfy my appetite for the foods she can’t/won’t eat. Now with COVID, she’s not traveling and I’m having major withdraws!

@Sscottfitz I sure hope you keep posting your results. I love the attention to detail you have for your process.

Last edited:
Dang that looks good! My wife is allergic to shellfish and really, I mean REALLY doesn’t like fish, and I love both. In normal times, she travels quite a bit for work so I have plenty of opportunity to satisfy my appetite for the foods she can’t/won’t eat. Now with COVID, she’s not traveling and I’m having major withdraws!

@Sscottfitz I sure hope you keep posting your results. I love the attention to detail you have for your process.
Thanks, I'm hopelessly "Anal Retentive" so it helps me remember what I did last time, for the next time I do a cook. My wife does the creative stuff, I just capture what I did, and ask my wife a LOT of questions......

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FISCH75
Back