Trailblazer Grill Notes - Chicken Thigh Thursday - 3 September 2020

Sscottfitz

Grill(s) owned
  1. Trailblazer
  2. Bullseye
One of the things we absolutely adore about our RecTeq Trailblazer is the ability to make a late day decision to “cook something outside”, and in a matter if minutes the gill can be rolled out of the garage, under the gazebo, at smoking temps ready for meat! Late in the day, the wife say’s “I’ve got a pack of chicken thighs we need to cook”, and wella, next thing you know they are on the RT-340 getting smoked, AND we’ve got smoked chicken to consume over the Labor Day Holiday weekend, although I’ll admit, being retired, weekend holidays aren't near as “special” as they used to be….<grin>

• Grill Location: Hot Springs Village, AR.; 34 37 60.0N 92 54 55.4W
  • Weather at time of Grill: Heavy Overcast, Temp ~80F, Humidity ~83% (Coming off a week of a “crap load of rain”…)
  • Total Grill Time: 60 Min. (~6 min transition to first temp High Smoke/180F, ~23 min smoke time, ~9 min transition to to 2nd temp, ~16 min @350)
  • Total Event Time: ~1 hr, 10 Min. (Total Grill time + 10 min meat prep)
  • Grill Plates: No
  • Temp Probes Used”. Yes x2 (Middle Row Far Right (Probe A) and Far Left (Probe B)
  • Pellets Used: Rec Tec Ultimate Blend

• Meat & Meat Prep
    • Meat: 14 x Walmart Package of Chicken Thighs (Pre-packaged)
    • Season half the thighs with Tony Chachere’s Creole Seasoning, and half with good old S&P (Pink Himalayan Salt)
    • Total Meat Prep Time: ~10 min., Just dry seasoning
    • Meat on at 16:10 CDT, at ~43F, meat temp at end of smoking period: ~87F, (16:33 CDT). left on basic grill while grill temps heated up to 350F, meat temps about 167F at end of cook.
Sides:
  • Infamous Deb FitzGerald’s, Zuccinni, Baby Tomato, Onion Mix (this is a staple at our house) - NOTE: This is just for the chicken used tonight, rest will be refrigerated and used in several different presentations over the weekend and next week.
  • Risotto (another popular staple around here)

Misc Grill Observations - all times are CDT
  • Used basic OEM stainless steel grill during both the smoking & higher temp cooking periods.
  • Chose NOT to flip the thighs during today’s cook - probably unnecessary since we’re not using the Grill Grates during this cook.
  • Grill still consistent at holding both the 180F (extreme smoking) and the 350F (main cooking) temps during the cook.
  • Used the temp probes sampled across the right and left sides of the Trailblazer - for some reason, today the temp probs were not “problematic” (they were very good and consistent today)…..

General Comments:

• Cook was expectedly nominal….confirms that 350 is the perfect temp for Chicken on this grill (at least for us).
  • Grill performance continues to be very consistent AND even the temp probes behaved well today!
  • Be careful when applying Tony Chacheres Creole Seasoning, it can attack the nasal cavities (it’s better on the chicken).

Attachments

• Chicken Thighs Packaged 20200903.jpeg
    Chicken Thighs Packaged 20200903.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 83
  • Creole Seasoning 20200903.jpeg
    Creole Seasoning 20200903.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 88
  • Salt_and_Pepper20200903.jpeg
    Salt_and_Pepper20200903.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 78
  • Seasoning 1.jpeg
    Seasoning 1.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 83
  • SnPChickenThighs20200903.jpeg
    SnPChickenThighs20200903.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 87
  • Thighs on Grill w Probes 20200903.jpeg
    Thighs on Grill w Probes 20200903.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 97
  • Thighs Ready to be Served 20200903.jpeg
    Thighs Ready to be Served 20200903.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 96
  • Makings of Dinner 20200903.jpeg
    Makings of Dinner 20200903.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 93
  • Plated Chicken Thighs-Veggies-Risotto 20200903.jpeg
    Plated Chicken Thighs-Veggies-Risotto 20200903.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 89
Last edited:
As usual a great post. I agree the 350 seems to be the magic number on chicken. Did some drum sticks on the Bullseye at 350 after a quick smoke. They were excellent.
If not a family secret, I'd be interested in the recipe for the zucchini tomato onion dish.

As usual a great post. I agree the 350 seems to be the magic number on chicken. Did some drum sticks on the Bullseye at 350 after a quick smoke. They were excellent.
If not a family secret, I'd be interested in the recipe for the zucchini tomato onion dish.
According to the house "master chef", the veggie mix is sliced fresh zucchini, grape or cherry tomatoes, red or yellow onions, spiced with salt, pepper, and garlic powder along with a little olive oil. Sometime if we have space we'll cook them on the grill, but in this case the grill was at 100% capacity, so the trusty oven was engaged, 350F ~20-30 min. We think it is a really great compliment to the chicken!

Attachments

• Veggies 1 20200903.jpeg
    Veggies 1 20200903.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 77
Thanks for another great post @Sscottfitz. I agree holiday weekends aren’t quite the same in retirement. But Sunday nights and Monday mornings aren’t quite the same either!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FISCH75
Back