Grill mats are great but...

Cityman

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
I just received my two rectec grill mats. I was thinking they were a fine mesh wire from the pictures. But they're not. They're coated fiberglass mesh. I discovered this when I tried to use one on my gas grill. I had a small flare up and it set the mat on fire. Where it burned the mesh came apart. Not as versatile as I was hoping. I know now only to use on the rectec and at lower temperatures. See the pics below.
20200617_195135.jpg
20200617_195149.jpg

I use mine quite a bit for smoking cheese in the smoke box. I did use them a couple times for smoking fish in the main chamber of my Bull. Never used them at higher temps. I've been very pleased with the way they support and easily release.
20200130_185734.jpg

I would be very sceptical about using over open/ gas flame. Have used many times in RT and MES

How do these compare to the Masterbuilt mats? Masterbuilt Smoker Mat

I have 4 of the Masterbuilt mats that I used on my electric smoker and I am wondering if there is any benefit to getting the Rec Tec mats.

How do these compare to the Masterbuilt mats? Masterbuilt Smoker Mat

I have 4 of the Masterbuilt mats that I used on my electric smoker and I am wondering if there is any benefit to getting the Rec Tec mats.
Basically the same thing - the material is coated fiberglass. The Masterbuilt ones just have the border. I have one for an MES30.

No need for you to spend the money, in my opinion.

I've been very pleased with my PhatMats ( https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CTFC797/ ), which are basically the same as the Masterbuilt ones. Both have the outside border to prevent fraying, which was a problem I had with the FrogMats. Have used mine for a few years now and they're still like new. I use them for smoking, but also cooking bacon on weekend mornings, and it makes cleanup super easy with no sticking to the grates.

I've been wondering about grill mats. I have a couple of the copper colored mats from HD. Does pretty good for fish and veggies. Cooks fairly good and keeps the grill clean. But last night I grilled some burgers. They came out pretty good. But the mat is solid, so the fat and juice's stay on the mat as if frying them. I won't use the mat for burgers, but grill directly on the grill grates. I got to looking at the RT mats and they're more of a screen wire spicing than the solid ones I have, making me think the juice's can flow through them. If so that would be better. Better heat flow top and bottom. Am I correct with this thinking?

I wouldn't use the mats for burgers. I use mine (Recteq mats) for veggies, kabobs, & fish & they work great. I did salmon with a glaze of dijon mustard, olive oil, soy sauce, horseradish, brown sugar, & rice vinegar this past weekend with the skin side down & the RT-700 running at 500 degrees. It took about 14 minutes. The salmon skin stuck to the mat enough to make getting a spatula under the flesh easy. Once the mats cooled, the skin flaked off of them pretty easily. They were rinsed in the sink to get off most of the crud, then put on the top rack of the dishwasher & came out looking new.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back