Trailblazer Grill Grates

I read somewhere to use an onion to season them. The onion provides some sort of coating to the grill grates.

https://www.grillgrate.com/new-owners/

Clean your grill!​

Clean the grease trap, inspect your burners and flame tents. Remove debris that has accumulated on the ledges that hold the grates. This will prevent flare-ups from igniting grease and debris in the bottom of your grill. Should a grease fire occur, turn off the burners and leave the lid closed until the fire is out. Do not use water to extinguish a grease fire.

Here's some videos on cleaning the GG.

Season your grates with an onion​

Onions contain sulfur compounds which is why you cry when cutting them. These compounds when heated react with bare metal to form a hard, non-stick sulfide layer. This sulfide layer is rock hard to 1000°F. Thanks to Chef James Neissa! for sharing this with us. Use grill gloves or long-handled tongs to hold the onion.

1. Connect interlocking panels and preheat grill with GrillGrates placed on top
  2. Get the grill and new GrillGrates screaming hot.
  3. Rub the onion vigorously along the raised rails- much like a scrub brush. You want
    some aggressive pressure.
  4. Go over the rails several times and be rewarded with a dark layer on the rails that will deliver non-stick grilling and easier release of grill debris and carbon.
I hope this helps!
I found that seasoning once with the onion wasn’t enough for me, but if you season it with the onion before every cook for several cooks, it works very well. After that, clean it as you would clean cast iron.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back