Grill Grates

JJP

Grill(s) owned
  1. Trailblazer
I finely broke my grill grates out last night. Seasoned them and put them aside until I got the ribeye's to 115 degrees it. I've got to say the experience was amazing. Grilling the steaks at 225 degrees gave them a beautiful color. Searing them on the gratis was fast and exciding. The steaks were delish. I'm going to have to do that again.

Broke in my Blackstone this weekend. Some good some bad, but I am reminded that one size does not fit all.
I love my GrillGrates and they do a phenomenal job.

Cooked steaks on Blackstone as Bullseye is out of commision and I am waiting on parts, was OK, but Bullseye or 590 Reverse sear is the bomb, may use Blackstone to sear.

Broke in my Blackstone this weekend. Some good some bad, but I am reminded that one size does not fit all.
I love my GrillGrates and they do a phenomenal job.

Cooked steaks on Blackstone as Bullseye is out of commision and I am waiting on parts, was OK, but Bullseye or 590 Reverse sear is the bomb, may use Blackstone to sear.

The nice thing about cooking steaks on the BS is you can baste it like pan searing. I do agree though the reverse sear is pretty amazing on the GG.

I should have seasoned them with oil in the oven like cast iron before using them. I read the instruction and it said to put a lite coat of oil and on the grill. Kind of an uneven look to the color of them. I might do the oven seasoning thing. How do ya'll clean them?

I should have seasoned them with oil in the oven like cast iron before using them. I read the instruction and it said to put a lite coat of oil and on the grill. Kind of an uneven look to the color of them. I might do the oven seasoning thing. How do ya'll clean them?

I just get mine hot and scrape it with a flat top scraper and brush. Kind of like what I do with my normal grates. I have tried cleaning in the sink and just didn’t make progress. Would not worry about looks much as they get used too much.

When mine get crusty, I thow them in a mud tub filled with hot water and a degreaser (or Dawn) and let them soak for a few hours or overnight. Then rinse the gunk off, quick wash with dish soap and done.

When mine get crusty, I thow them in a mud tub filled with hot water and a degreaser (or Dawn) and let them soak for a few hours or overnight. Then rinse the gunk off, quick wash with dish soap and done.

You are lucky.. the crap on mine would not really budge in a sink/tub. Maybe I'm doing something wrong or just impatient. Comes off easy with heat/scraping though. Might not be squeaky clean but they get dirtied up right away anyhow :).

For a deep cleaning I cleaned mine up with the cleaner from GG, and scotch brite pad, works pretty good. If you watch their video they really don't advise you to super clean that often.

I have a brush from them I use after each cook and that keeps them pretty clean, that being said mine are well seasoned, basically black from frequent use.

Remember if you super clean, re-season! I used an onion.

I use a solution of oxiclean and hot water for most types of bbq gunk. Some stubborn gunk requires a brush to get off but it work really good. OC works really good to clean probes that have baked on smoke and grease.

I just get mine hot and scrape it with a flat top scraper and brush. Kind of like what I do with my normal grates. I have tried cleaning in the sink and just didn’t make progress. Would not worry about looks much as they get used too much.
Before every usage, I get mine hot and scrape with a wooden scraper. This gets the big chunks off so they do not transfer to whatever you are cooking. For a more thorough cleaning, soaking the grates in soapy water softens the build-up and makes cleaning much easier. Well-seasoned GrillGrates will always have a mottled appearance. No amount of cleaning will ever make it look like new.

Wow, I'll try the amonia and bag idea today! I usually use my pressure washer a couple times a year and they come clean very easily, but it's messy.
I bought the round grates brush from RT when I got my 700.
Thanks,

I only use a scraper to get the big chunks of and sometimes when they're hot I spray some water and use a grill brush. I use the flat side at 400 for burgers and fish and it all turns out great. 450 on the raised side for regular grilling. They work so much better than the stock grills that I ordered a second set for my Bull.

Last edited:
I only use a scraper to get the big chunks of and sometimes when they're hot I spray some water and use a grill brush. I use the flat side at 400 for burgers and fish and it all turns out great. 450 on the raised side for regular grilling. They work so much better than the sick grills that I ordered a second set for my Bull.
are you saying you have to sets of 3 on your 700? i was thinking about doing full width also but wasn’t sure if it would have good enough airflow with a full width set.

So far I've only used 5 of the 6. I put two on the hot side and two on the probe side. I made burgers with them flat side up and toasted buns on the left and cooked the burgers on the right, for example. It's nice to be able to make a plate of four, two twos, etc.

Attachments

• F2D5EB27-72B0-443C-8301-83C3885182FC.jpeg
    F2D5EB27-72B0-443C-8301-83C3885182FC.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 85
I read somewhere to use an onion to season them. The onion provides some sort of coating to the grill grates.

https://www.grillgrate.com/new-owners/

Clean your grill!​

Clean the grease trap, inspect your burners and flame tents. Remove debris that has accumulated on the ledges that hold the grates. This will prevent flare-ups from igniting grease and debris in the bottom of your grill. Should a grease fire occur, turn off the burners and leave the lid closed until the fire is out. Do not use water to extinguish a grease fire.

Here's some videos on cleaning the GG.

Season your grates with an onion​

Onions contain sulfur compounds which is why you cry when cutting them. These compounds when heated react with bare metal to form a hard, non-stick sulfide layer. This sulfide layer is rock hard to 1000°F. Thanks to Chef James Neissa! for sharing this with us. Use grill gloves or long-handled tongs to hold the onion.

1. Connect interlocking panels and preheat grill with GrillGrates placed on top
  2. Get the grill and new GrillGrates screaming hot.
  3. Rub the onion vigorously along the raised rails- much like a scrub brush. You want
    some aggressive pressure.
  4. Go over the rails several times and be rewarded with a dark layer on the rails that will deliver non-stick grilling and easier release of grill debris and carbon.
I hope this helps!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back