RT-1250 Grill blanket for a 1250

grjmmr

Grill(s) owned
  1. RT-1250
Looking for a I believe is a called a grill blanket for a 1250. Might be a bit cool in Iowa over Thanksgiving and I would like to retain as much heat as possible when I smoke the turkey. I don't see that RecTeq offers one; is there a generic that fits well?

Recteq used to offer one, but I don't believe they do any more. People here use welding blankets. Harbor Freight is a good source. Hope this helps.

I posted here that I was looking for one and someone that had one was willing to sell it for a reasonable price. Really glad I got it, do not know why RT does not sell them any longer.

I had a blanket and found it to be a real pain to use, it fell off every time I opened the lid and would end up in the snow on the ground. Also have to be very careful using a blanket and do not cover the handles or they get very HOT!

If you go for a blanket, make sure you do not get a fiberglass one and get one that is good to 1000 degrees. The lower cost ones are only good for 300 degrees before they start to melt.

I know your looking for a blanket but I live in missouri and last winter when it hit below freezing and even zero I never had an issue with keeping temp without one. Didn't seem to burn to much more pellets either. Jist did wings 2 weeks ago when it was 28 out and kept temp like champ. I did use one on my traeger I had years ago and could notice a difference. It would not get above 300 in the winter without one. Recteq seems to be thicker and better suited for cold weather.

I did a Brisket last winter where the temp was zero when I started the cook and never got above 10 during the cook. Other than the grease bucket having a stalagmite of frozen grease peaking over the top of the bucket I saw no difference in the 1250's ability to hold 225 rock steady, nor did it appear to take longer or use noticeably more pellets. I too was thinking of getting a blanket...until that cook. This weekend I'll be doing two 18lb briskets!!!

I have to admire the folks who talk about smoking/grilling in really cold weather. Right now, we are in the seventh day of extreme cold (at least for Western Washington state) and I have no desire to cook outside when temps are in the single digits, a foot of snow covers everything and the wind is blowing 40 mph. That’s definitely beyond my comfort zone. :rolleyes:

-4 f right now. Uses a bit more pellets, will try to compare this to other cooks at warmer temperatures

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MuddyBill
Back