Griddle Notes

ARCbbq

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
Just finished cooking smash burgers with caramelized onions, bacon & cheese for dinner. Everything tasted great. I used a little of the competition rub for a little pop - very good. No problems with sticking. However using the pour spout to get rid of excess grease after cooking was messier than I would like. Compared to really good spouts (pitchers, etc) the griddle spout is easy to over pour and it tends to drip over the edge anyway. I might be able to modify it slightly to improve things - don't know. Also needing to open the grill (turn over burgers, tend to bacon & onions, and crisp up hamburger buns) drops the temp a lot (ambient temp was 90 deg) even if you try to be as quick as possible. That by itself is expected, so no problem. However the controller gain responds aggressively and overshoots the set temp quite a bit (450 deg vs a setting of 400). It also takes a while (10 min or more) to bring the temp down - since the auger puts more pellets to try to compensate for the quick temp drop and they have to finish burning. I wonder if a different gain for the PID when using a griddle (or cooking a variety of foods requiring some opening & closing) would be useful. The controller has worked very well for more normal cooks when the lid is mostly closed, so there isn't any control malfunction. Maybe it's just my lack of technique - although I've seen professional chefs do a lot of fiddling with the food on a grill. The Griddle temp probably doesn't change very fast (it is fairly thick), even if the grill (oven) temp does. So maybe none of this is a problem. If the PID controller had a sensor on the griddle, it would probably behave very differently in griddle mode. Just some thoughts.

Are you reporting on the griddle RT sells? There are a number of griddle options for pellet smokers so it would be helpful if you identified which one you're discussing.

Yes, I have the RT griddle. Sorry took so long to reply. Wasn't watching this post.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Back