Griddle Grill

Wslayer

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
Have Rec Tec's griddle grill and seasoned yesterday according to"their" You Tube video. I used Avocado oil which has a higher smoke point similar to grapeseed oil. For some reason it did not take very well. You can basically rub it off with your thumb. Do I need to completely re-do and if so ,what is the best way to get the old off again? There was 5 coats of oil put on every 30 mins.
20200129_172629.jpg
20200129_172613.jpg

@Wslayer I'm not entirely sure if you have to scrape off the old oil, though it would probably be best to. I have the same griddle / smoker combo and did not have a good 1st go at the seasoning using RT's methods, even though I believe others were quite successful. That being said, I would put the griddle back in, preheat to 450 and let it bake for 30 minutes or so and then see if you can, while it's hot scrape any residue off and start over.

However, during your next attempt, look for a product called "BuzzyWax" and follow their directions on how to season the griddle. All in all I did a total of 4 coats of Buzzywax, after each application I let it bake for 1 hour at 500 degrees and it has been great.

Good luck!
-David

Oil may have been put on too thick. Best results for me was using a very thin coating of oil with no pooling.
Just soaked a towel and spred on as the video. Used another to spread excess.

I don't get wrapped around the axle on seasoning cast iron. Cook a few batches of bacon on it and wipe down only. Trying to build a layer of seasoning with multiple coats always seemed to be thick ick to me. One very thin coat of oil, wiped almost dry, bake. Then use it with a greasy meat like bacon. I have that griddle and haven't used it, but before I do, I'll use a 2" die grinder and an orbital sander to smooth the cast cooking surface like the better cast iron from yesteryear.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back