RT-1250 Great smoke on 1250. I used the Smoke Daddy with my 1250 on a smoked meatloaf on Thanksgiving and the results were.....AMAZING!!

Why would it void the warranty? It doesnt harm the unit in any way. I put a thermal strip around the door for more smoke & that doesn't void wty.
I thought you had to cut a hole in the grill to install the smoke daddy - if that's not right - please let me know. I would love to try one, just don't want to do anything to void warranty. Thanks in advance for your help!

Who says you can't get good smoke on a pellet grill.... smoked a turkey/ chicken sausage meatloaf on the 1250 with a Smoke Daddy diffuser. Holy Smoke!!
I read that the heat can't be regulated without managing it so you need to open the lid for 2-3 hrs to maintain the desired heat. The reason i bought a pellet grill is to reduce the maintenance. May as well just smoke with my other smoker grill.

To get the chunks to light in a heavy-D, I set the init temp to 275 and wait for the smoke to start billowing, then lower to cook temp - per the instructions from the smoke-daddy. https://smokedaddyinc.com/product/the-heavy-d-stick-burning-heat-diffuser/
Yes I usually need to shim the door for a couple hours if I load both sides of the diffuser...but it is the most smoke flavor I've been able to get on my 590.
I did have a flare up one of the first times I used the heavy-D and called them about it...he said if using chunks then put a couple ceramic charcoals at each end cuz it is really designed for logs - too much surface area to burn when using chunks so the ceramics absorb enough of the heat to prevent the flareups. Works perfect for me.

But I think the Big Kahuna might be calling my name...

I thought you had to cut a hole in the grill to install the smoke daddy - if that's not right - please let me know. I would love to try one, just don't want to do anything to void warranty. Thanks in advance for your help!
Look at the website. No cutting from what i see. Just replace the heat plate over burn pot with difuser. But downside is the temp gets too hot and lid needs to be opened if smoking at low heat from what i read.

Yup I tried it... but honestly did not get much smoke from it...I actually found some really small wood chipsinstead of pellets.... helped but I am a smoke snob. Was really looking to get a close offset as possible. The smoke daddy is as close as you can get and still have the convenience of a pellet smoker.
Unfortunately smoldering wood will never produce the same quality smoke as a clean wood fire in an offset does but it's nice to know that that gets close. I might have to give it a shot!

hey, I started with the smokedaddy diffuser also but still thought it needed more. I eventually went with the smokedaddy magnum PIG cold smoker which no doubt makes a bigger difference than the diffuser and you can keep loading it up. However, I will say it kind of defeats the purpose of a set it and forget it.

Lately I just use my smoketube and alternate wood chips with pellets. Even more lately, I like to use the Royal Oaks charcoal pellets with the wood chips in the smoke tube. That way it is like mini charcoals with real wood. I will say smoke tubes with just pellets really doesn't make a huge difference but if you also put wood chips in the tube with pellets, it does make big difference. I still have my smokedaddy magnum PIG which I still will use but the smoke tube with wood chips mixed is the easiest way I've learned to add more good smoke flavor.

Give it a shot....

So for those that are using the pig cold smoke generators, how are you mounting it? I’ve used my amazn tray with extra pellets but we like a lot of smoke flavor so I’m thinking something else in addition to that.

I mounted my big kahuna to the left of the drip spout under the drip tray. I load it with wood chunks and light the bottom with a torch and off you go. Throw some new chunks in it ever half hour by lifting the lid and putting them in. It’s that easy. Pellets alone just don’t give the smoke I desire. I love the set and forget, but I like smoke. I lived in OKC for five years when I was stationed there and I fell in love with Texas style BBQ. You need good smoke to match the strong flavor and ring. I love my recteq, but I neeed my smoke. 👨‍🚒

Maybe I'm necro-threading, but here goes anyway........

Just mounted a new Big Kahuna to my 2 month old 700/Bull. So far, my experience has been the same as Snook, directly above. Pics;

F811528C-F00E-4D26-8684-C7B4013022ED.jpeg

68B31836-4BDC-475B-9B92-B4A4A153239E.jpeg

BF0FFA4F-56C5-4575-AB53-EB57C0EF4C0B.jpeg

644020EB-E33B-4C6E-BF6E-116C8CB693D7.jpeg

Yes, the Kahuna does plow through wood pretty quickly. But, the upside for me is that loading more wood into it is simple. It can be done at any time and if meat is on the grill, it doesn't matter. If a re-light is necessary after adding more wood, just remove the bottom cap, torch it and replace the cap.

I initially started with pellets and chips in the Kahuna. They were consumed very quickly. So, I started cutting smaller chunks (Alder) from bigger chunks and quit using pellets. The chips (in the bottom) help with getting everything lit quickly. The larger chunks need to be cut down in order to clear the air tube when loading them into the Kahuna. But, one could temporarily unscrew/remove/replace the air tube in order to get larger chunks into the Kahuna. I might try that.....

So far, I've been quite happy with the Kahuna. Be all to end all ? Probably not. But, I bought the 700/Bull for the tight temp regulation (and the relatively "hands free operation). At this point in time, stick burners hold no charm for me. Not to say that might not change in the future.

edit; Oh, and I bought/installed the Kahuna extended smoke tube. I wanted to get the discharge end of the tube as close to the center of the grill as possible. It still has a ways to go, maybe I will buy a 1" aluminum coupler and add the stock/shorter tube that also shipped with the Kahuna.

Last edited:
I mounted my big kahuna to the left of the drip spout under the drip tray. I load it with wood chunks and light the bottom with a torch and off you go. Throw some new chunks in it ever half hour by lifting the lid and putting them in. It’s that easy. Pellets alone just don’t give the smoke I desire. I love the set and forget, but I like smoke. I lived in OKC for five years when I was stationed there and I fell in love with Texas style BBQ. You need good smoke to match the strong flavor and ring. I love my recteq, but I neeed my smoke. 👨‍🚒
Yep, I know what you mean. I need my smoke, more often than not.

Just mounted a new Big Kahuna to my 2 month old 700/Bull. So far, my experience has been the same as Snook, directly above. Pics;

View attachment 15438
View attachment 15439
View attachment 15440
View attachment 15441

Yes, the Kahuna does plow through wood pretty quickly. But, the upside for me is that loading more wood into it is simple. It can be done at any time and if meat is on the grill, it doesn't matter. If a re-light is necessary after adding more wood, just remove the bottom cap, torch it and replace the cap.

I initially started with pellets and chips in the Kahuna. They were consumed very quickly. So, I started cutting smaller chunks (Alder) from bigger chunks and quit using pellets. The chips (in the bottom) help with getting everything lit quickly. The larger chunks need to be cut down in order to clear the air tube when loading them into the Kahuna. But, one could temporarily unscrew/remove/replace the air tube in order to get larger chunks into the Kahuna. I might try that.....

So far, I've been quite happy with the Kahuna. Be all to end all ? Probably not. But, I bought the 700/Bull for the tight temp regulation (and the relatively "hands free operation). At this point in time, stick burners hold no charm for me. Not to say that might not change in the future.

edit; Oh, and I bought/installed the Kahuna extended smoke tube. I wanted to get the discharge end of the tube as close to the center of the grill as possible. It still has a ways to go, maybe I will buy a 1" aluminum coupler and add the stock/shorter tube that also shipped with the Kahuna.
Additional edit; went to the hardware store this afternoon, bought a 3/4” to 3/4” female coupler and screwed in the stock smoke tube. I mistakenly called it a 1” tube above, it is actually a 3/4” (garden hose) tube. Normal pipe and electrical fittings don’t fit it. Anyway, pics;

2195DD93-5391-4333-8CD4-20B33EAB8FF2.jpeg

D9A69D84-9697-4007-97F0-C71C7A70B94A.jpeg

5DED56D1-2FB3-4EA5-A7A1-76E79D1548D0.jpeg

18A6FE13-1B80-402E-8536-09E31510D59C.jpeg

View attachment 15438
View attachment 15439
View attachment 15440
View attachment 15441

Sounds like an expensive infomercial product.

Additional edit; went to the hardware store this afternoon, bought a 3/4” to 3/4” female coupler and screwed in the stock smoke tube. I mistakenly called it a 1” tube above, it is actually a 3/4” (garden hose) tube. Normal pipe and electrical fittings don’t fit it. Anyway, pics;

View attachment 15443
View attachment 15444
View attachment 15445
View attachment 15446
This is a good idea to push the smoke to the other side to create that reverse flow. Which is what I wanted. I have my magnum PIG mounted on the same side as you but to the right of the drip bucket.

I would caution though that tube can get a lot of build of cresote so you would need a long wire brush thing like smokedaddy gives you. If you find one you can buy, I may do this and see if it makes any difference.

The one difference I could see it making is you could run your air pump on a lower setting and still have the smoke pushed to the other side. I usually run my air pump at like 60 to 70%(that's a guess) so it will go through fuel in like 2 hours or less.

The one thing I will say to anyone who has a smokedaddy cold smoker is do NOT listen to their instructions. Load up your canister with 60 to 80% hot charcoal. I start mine with a propane torch and wait till amost all the charcoals are hot(white). I just light them and leave the pump on high. Then when they are white, treat it like a charcoal grill and adding wood. I will add a chunk or two of wood. Then you can either keep adding wood chunks as you need it and/or also add more charcoal.

And I'm not hating the diffuser as I have videos showing exactly how this thread started but I think the cold smokers are far superior to the diffuser. I would have to line my diffuser with foil and holes/rips in the foil to allow the wood chunks to not ignite. That's how I did it and others but I did not like how on my Bull, the diffuser sits lower than it should b/c the smoker is not side auger but rear auger. If I had a stampe, I would of just kept it in there. Instead, I haven't used my diffuser in over a year.

I said this before but the over $100 cold smoker(actually like $180 I believe for the magnum PIG) or diffuser I don't believe is worth that much more smoke wise than just a $10 pellet tube from amazon or whereever filled with pellets and wood chips of your flavor choosing. Pellet tubes don't do all that much with just pellets but with wood chips, it no doubt makes a big difference.

wheres the recipe to that meatloaf??

ROFL!!!
I can't believe someone would spend all this money for a smoker grill and then blow a wad on other crap to get more smoke in their smoker. I mean, the purpose of being a pellet grill, especially one as pricey as the 1250, was for the smoke in the 1st place right? Then you end up voiding the warranty, on top of that by drilling a hole in your grill. Brainiac move, dude!

ROFL!!!
I can't believe someone would spend all this money for a smoker grill and then blow a wad on other crap to get more smoke in their smoker. I mean, the purpose of being a pellet grill, especially one as pricey as the 1250, was for the smoke in the 1st place right? Then you end up voiding the warranty, on top of that, by drilling a hole in your grill. Brainiac move, dude!
Speaking of brainiacs, it's @Lilbullowner master of the firmware update.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WKMCD
Back