Grease will find a way

SmokeOCD

Things got a little weird recently - had a few greasy cooks back to back to back to.... etc....
I noticed some buildup on the vents - I kinda had a thought maybe that's good - keep the smoke in.
I have grease drip marks coming out the front panel of the 1070 below the actual grill. My fan blades are greasy, there's just grease everywhere.
There was even backdraft into the pellet hopper, it is no longer silver colored, I have some blackened pellets, some were puffed up from the moisture escaping via the pellet feed.
I used that super-dawn and ZEP, we're just about clean again. Just sharing - keep your vents clean!

Things got a little weird recently - had a few greasy cooks back to back to back to.... etc....
Hate you have that mess. Was the grease over flowing the drip pan or overflowing the drain? BTW, how does the ZEP work?

ZEP Rocks! It seems to work best with the sun beating on the grill to heat up the surface.

Drip pan & grease catch were fine - I think it was more of a grease vapor that was escaping every which way but thru the vents on the back of the grill. I'm going to go ahead and blame all the Costco chicken I've cooked up. 8-10 lbs of chicken at a time, at 400*. I think that's what gunked me up, the grease and the moisture from those large cooks. I need to schedule pizza days, whether I want them or not. I went into winter fairly clean, but never got in the mood to make pizza over the winter.

Another tip - shove towels/rags/old shirts into the burn pot when scrubbing out and or rinsing the grill down. They get wet, that's not a problem - but they also keep the greasy bits out of your burn pot.

Something got wet, so that was fun. Kept popping the GFCI. I dried it out by manually starting a fire in the firepot. Half hour later I could turn it on without tripping the breaker, and proceeded to do another burn-in because of all the ZEP and Dawn powerwash used.
Now I can start cooking up all the food that started to thaw because someone didn't close the freezer properly. There's quite a bit(not the whole freezer though) - definitely going to have to give away bbq to some neighbors.

When it rains, it pours. Sometimes a "dull moment" cannot be found.

Now I can start cooking up all the food that started to thaw because someone didn't close the freezer properly. There's quite a bit(not the whole freezer though) - definitely going to have to give away bbq to some neighbors.
Well I know this situation all too well. Suspect my failed freezer didn’t fail but it was not closed. But we have a new freezer, lost most of the contents, so replenishing supplies. Good luck! The neighbors won’t mind some Q. 😃

OK - so building on my debacle and an older thread (https://www.recteqforum.com/threads/advice-on-chest-freezer-alarm.5912/#post-81479) - is there really a point to a remote thermometer with wifi app and push notifications? If I get an Inkbird for instance, it will only alert me if I'm within bluetooth range. If I'm in another state on vacation - I can't do anything anyway, right?
Mine has WiFi but I am not sold it works once out of your routers range (WiFi range). The RecTec implementation does work even if I am across town. So you make a good point BT or wifi.

is there really a point to a remote thermometer with wifi app and push notifications?
I've been using a Thermoworks Signals for several years now. I have been able to successfully monitor cooks remotely without fail. In one instance, I was delayed and called home to pull the food and I turned off my Recteq from my phone.

@Pacman - sorry about that I wasn't so clear. I meant for freezer temp monitoring. If no one is home to hear the BT beeping - what good is Wifi notification?
I too have used the recteq app away from home and preheated the grill, or bumped from Lo to the next step when doing a long smoke.

OK - so building on my debacle and an older thread (https://www.recteqforum.com/threads/advice-on-chest-freezer-alarm.5912/#post-81479) - is there really a point to a remote thermometer with wifi app and push notifications? If I get an Inkbird for instance, it will only alert me if I'm within bluetooth range. If I'm in another state on vacation - I can't do anything anyway, right?

Can't say how many times this has saved me already from failing equipment to doors left open. Paid for itself a few times by now I'm sure.

https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Temperature-Humidity-Monitoring-Smartphone/dp/B08JP39RLP

@Pacman has expensive taste, but thanks for the recommendation.
It's either @sdynak 's suggestion for $55 or Mike from the other thread with the Acurite for $38.
About $20 more for being notified my freezer died while I'm in Jamaica. I'll let you guys know, this is NOT happening again.
I cooked a family pack of drumsticks this morning, made shrimp jambalaya for lunch (2lb bag of shrimp), I have 4 shoulders running right now (2 cochinita pibil, 2 regular for pulled pork), looks like 3 fatties tomorrow( layer of ground beef, layer of breakfast sausage rolled around some filling), a costco pack of breakfast sausages and 50 chevaps and I'm all caught up. Fries, tots and veggies (stuff that was on the door) got tossed. Could have been worse.

Missed the freezer aspect, I was also looking and had zeroed in on the Acurite and the Yolink. I am with you, a freezer issue can’t happen again without at least knowing before it is too late.

OK bought the Yolink, partly due to price and partly because that's one less gadget in the kitchen (the receiver/display). Thanks to everyone who supplied suggestions it helps narrowing down the tons of choices.
Going to go eat a pulled pork sandwich now....

OK bought the Yolink, partly due to price and partly because that's one less gadget in the kitchen (the receiver/display). Thanks to everyone who supplied suggestions it helps narrowing down the tons of choices.
Going to go eat a pulled pork sandwich now....

You won't regret.. the charting has really been helping me resolve my kitchen fridge issues this past week.

I have 7 sensors total between 3 fridge/freezers & 1 stand alone freezer. They really work well. I admit I was doubtful being battery operated at first but definitely recommend.

Any questions don't hesitate to reach out.

Enjoy the sandwich!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Back