Grease leaking from left side

Well, just did my first cook on my 590 today. After I was done, I was putting everything away and realized grease had leaked from the left side near the hopper. Has anyone ever had this issue?
I too had the same thing happen. I emailed customer service and the sent me the red high temp gasket sealer and some Heffer Dust. Customer service never even questioned me about how my drip pan was placed. I live in Minnesota so I haven’t dug into where the leak is coming from.

I too had the same thing happen. I emailed customer service and the sent me the red high temp gasket sealer and some Heffer Dust. Customer service never even questioned me about how my drip pan was placed. I live in Minnesota so I haven’t dug into where the leak is coming from.
Unfortunately I emailed recteq and they want to see pictures. I already cleaned up so I guess on my next cook I'll be able to show them.

I have the same issue, and my drip pan is properly placed and I’ve never cooked anything that extended beyond the drip pan. It seems to be a light coating of oil, grease, etc collects on the walls and when I run a 400 degree cook it runs down to the bottom corner of the auger housing where it meets the left side bulkhead. I’m guessing the sealer must have a gap that is allowing small amounts of fluid to drip straight down on to the left edge of the bottom shelf/ground.

My cook chamber has always been bone dry on the bottom when I vacuum the ashes out every 4-5 cooks. I've cooked BB ribs, full brisket, pork butt, burgers, meatloaf so plenty of grease and it ends up in the can in the drip bucket.

Use a bubble level to make sure you grill is deal level left to right. I've read where some of them with the stock cart are lower on the left side, which could lead to your problem. I have the comp cart and mine it dead level. I've seen people put a piece of wood under the left side wheels to level it or even rasie the left side a little to aid in grease runoff.

I also had leakage after first couple cooks. Nothing to do with drip tray position. After inspection, noticed a couple small holes near hopper that may have been spot weld overtemps (see photos). Bought some high temp sealant (Recteq later sent some as well) which fixed issue. Take a look underneath to try to pinpoint leakage area(s). Helps to have nice clean interior to properly inspect and seal.

Attachments

• 4A6BD647-B347-4F5C-9CC5-6DEC02330F6D.jpeg
    4A6BD647-B347-4F5C-9CC5-6DEC02330F6D.jpeg
    632.3 KB · Views: 157
  • 88A1DDC0-5750-41BF-B31A-188164D30FE8.jpeg
    88A1DDC0-5750-41BF-B31A-188164D30FE8.jpeg
    342.2 KB · Views: 128
I also had leakage after first couple cooks. Nothing to do with drip tray position. After inspection, noticed a couple small holes near hopper that may have been spot weld overtemps (see photos). Bought some high temp sealant (Recteq later sent some as well) which fixed issue. Take a look underneath to try to pinpoint leakage area(s). Helps to have nice clean interior to properly inspect and seal.
AFAIK, grease should not be dripping down into the bottom of the cookbox. The grease is suppose to drop onto the drip tray, run down the drip tray to the drip trough, then exit through the drip spout into the can. People should be trying to figuring out why they are getting grease in the bottom of their cookbox which could cause a dangerous grease fire 🔥🔥🔥

Last edited:
Could it be possibly that whatever you’re cooking is either hanging beyond the drip tray and or the grease is splattering to the sides and down?

I had the same issue after a 17 hour Brisket cook, which was amazing by the way. Rec is sending out some sealant and will give that a go. On my end I think the grease was my fault, I put in foil on the pan and cooked, 2 butts, 3 racks of ribs then a brisket... I never changed the foil... don't ask. However, when I went to remove the foil I can see where the grease had built up underneath. My pan is installed correctly but my grill is not level... again my fault as to where I cook. I think the sealant and fixing the level with correct the issue. Still love the smoker but I cooked all that food in 5 days and got smoked out so to speak... looking forward to this weekend to smoke something else. Also 13lb brisket smoked at 200 for 17 hours was amazing... No wrap

I had this happen too but yeah my fault drip tray was installed wrong. It was gross to clean up but I would think you want it to run out and not build up.

Same drip when I got my 590 and did a bacon cook. Two things caused it:
1. I was not on level surface. I have a cement porch that drains away from house. I had the pit set up so it drained to the back side. Does not matter about the drip pan, since the grates go all the way past the edge of the pan and the grease dripped first on the metal ledge that the grates sit on, then down the inside to the lowest point at the bottom.
2. The grease then went through where the rivets were on those edges. Rivets do not make a good seal!.
Solution: First I turned the pit so that it would drain from left to right and the grates were even from front to back. Then took everything out, and did a solvent clean of all the grease and oil, especially around the rivets where they come thru. Then I used high temp calk on all the rivets all over the inside, up to the grate level. A good dab over each rivet, and hole. Problem solved. Now if grease gets into the bottom,(a rarity) it does not get out until I clean it.
Next I reported it to CS at RT and suggested a solution for the future. They were grateful and gave me a $50 credit!. Hard to beat that!

Well, just did my first cook on my 590 today. After I was done, I was putting everything away and realized grease had leaked from the left side near the hopper. Has anyone ever had this issue?
Had a leveling issue with mine on the patio, too, and now problem solved. Smoking a striploin roast right now, so I'll see if that solved the grease leaking issue.
20210110_132838.jpg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back