Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
  2. Trailblazer
  3. Bullseye
  4. RT-680
Hello all,

What is the secret to prevent grease fires when cooking burgers on the Bullseye?

Temperature was set to 375 using Grill Grates. I was cooking 8 burgers and now thinking I should only cook 4 at a time??

Unlike the Weber closing the lid doesn't extinguish the fire just minimizes it. Glad I was using the Grill Grates.

I have about 30 cooks on my Bullseye. I soon learned to collect the grease as much as possible. I use a steel round pan about the same size as the center of the deflector wrapped in foil. After each cook I replace the foil. It is a little pain to do, so I am experimenting with aluminum pans made for toaster ovens. I dispose of them after each cook. After a few cooks I will post the results. Gill

That is a good suggestion to try. I think there’s a correlation between heat from under the drip tray igniting the grease in the drip tray,, so if there’s some mass or something to insulate grease in the drip tray from the heat under the tray, it could reduce the what I think is spontaneous combustion of the grease in the tray.

I’ve cooked bacon in the oven on a foiled baking sheet at 400-425 degrees for years and never had a grease fire in the oven…. leading me to believe that something is causing ignition of the grease.

Hello all,

What is the secret to prevent grease fires when cooking burgers on the Bullseye?

Temperature was set to 375 using Grill Grates. I was cooking 8 burgers and now thinking I should only cook 4 at a time??

Unlike the Weber closing the lid doesn't extinguish the fire just minimizes it. Glad I was using the Grill Grates.
... Interesting because I just cooked a pound of 80% lean chuck in four patties on my Bullseye at 375 after major cleaning and no excitement. I did not use those grates although I have some, not yet used.

Using a catch pan sitting on the heat diffuser will catch fire. I have seen the grease flash and poof. 🔥
Thinking it's better to catch grease in a pan on the rack than in a pan under the rack and sitting on the diffuser. I'm seeing talk about the diffuser being way hotter than the set grill temperature. Maybe spontaneous happens at a diffuser temp but not at a wire rack temp.

Thinking it's better to catch grease in a pan on the rack than in a pan under the rack and sitting on the diffuser. I'm seeing talk about the diffuser being way hotter than the set grill temperature. Maybe spontaneous happens at a diffuser temp but not at a wire rack temp.
The Bullseye is a different animal. Closer to a conventional Weber kettle than a smoker.

Keep the catch pan off the heat diffuser (as you mentioned) and the use of GrillGrates help.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back