Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
  2. Trailblazer
  3. Bullseye
  4. RT-680
Hello all,

What is the secret to prevent grease fires when cooking burgers on the Bullseye?

Temperature was set to 375 using Grill Grates. I was cooking 8 burgers and now thinking I should only cook 4 at a time??

Unlike the Weber closing the lid doesn't extinguish the fire just minimizes it. Glad I was using the Grill Grates.

Make sure the grill is clean before doing burgers or anything greasy.

Also make sure the grill is sitting on level surface so that the drip pan is able to do it's job and drain the grease down into the grease bucket.

If you are the type that uses aluminum foil on your drip pain make sure it's a fresh sheet of aluminum foil and creases or other pockets/obstacles that would give a place for grease to accumulate.

@Mike no drip pan in the Bullseye, unless you add one. Which isn’t a bad idea when cooking a lot of burgers on a Bullseye.

Real fatty ground beef can contribute to grease fires. I use chuck I’ve ground myself or will use 80/20 ground beef when it’s dirt cheap ($1.79/# locally now, so I’ve bought some). The center of the Bullseye is less likely to flare up as it doesn’t get direct flame. May be useful if you do switch to 4 burgers at a time. I also think the likelihood of grease fires is greatly reduced with smash burgers, and we all prefer them anyway so that works well here.

Thanks, looks like limiting the burgers is the answer.

I used a foil drip pan yesterday. Cooked the burgers over it. Was good until I flipped them over and some grease hit the flames. Then my drip pan was a fire pan. Sigh.
Good point, thanks for the warning.

I had a grease fire on my Bullseye after cooking bacon, thank goodness my wife did not throw water on it. I called RT and they said it should be fine, close the lid and it will go out, easy to say when you not there.
Anyway, I ordered a RT griddle for bacon and other things. I have really not had an issue with grease fires other than the bacon on a flat griddle.

I think it also could be that I have never cleaned out my ash from the bottom, so maybe it soaks up grease. I clean the firepot, just nothing else.

Have cooked many burgers, but yes no more than 80/20.

ALSO, I almost always use the Grill grates, I don't think I have ever cooked on the regular grates!
The Grillgrates do a good job of vaporizing juice.

Keep us posted as I love my Bullseye!

Hello all,

What is the secret to prevent grease fires when cooking burgers on the Bullseye?

Temperature was set to 375 using Grill Grates. I was cooking 8 burgers and now thinking I should only cook 4 at a time??

Unlike the Weber closing the lid doesn't extinguish the fire just minimizes it. Glad I was using the Grill Grates.
Try using a burger with less fat content. I use 93% and have never had a flair up on Webber or RetTeq.

Late to the game here. I've discovered that if I use a foil drip pan on the 380 when I'm cooking greasy foods, adding water to the drip pan prevents any fires. But you have to be cooking over the drip pan so that the drippings are dropping into the drip pan and not on to the deflector.

Late to the game here. I've discovered that if I use a foil drip pan on the 380 when I'm cooking greasy foods, adding water to the drip pan prevents any fires. But you have to be cooking over the drip pan so that the drippings are dropping into the drip pan and not on to the deflector.
Thanks @BethV. I have been more careful and limited amount of food cooked at once. I have also found lower temps with the GrillGrates seems to help.

That's my experience with GrillGrates as well. They really do "multiply" the grills power. If you like smash burgers, a griddle is great, or turn the GrillGrates over to the flat side... but if you want the classic Weber direct medium heat, 375-400 degrees with GrillGrates works for me. With burgers, I always use clean foil on the drip pan.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back