Grease drainage

Hamp

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
My 590 doesn’t seem to drain very much into the bucket. No problem with grease fires. I do use foil on the drip tray. I put a half inch piece of plywood on the right side and it seemed to drain a little better. (Grill was level otherwise). Everything seemed to work fine. Anyone see any problem with this?

I hear you about the $200 plywood! I used scrap I had laying around. lol Just want to make sure the change didn’t effect anything else. I’ve only done it once with no ill effects I could observe.

My 590 doesn’t seem to drain very much into the bucket. No problem with grease fires. I do use foil on the drip tray. I put a half inch piece of plywood on the right side and it seemed to drain a little better. (Grill was level otherwise). Everything seemed to work fine. Anyone see any problem with this?
Do you mean you raised the left side (hopper side)?

I don’t get tons of grease either. If I do several pork butts or two or three briskets at one time I get quite a bit. Other than that it takes a long time before I need to change my bucket liner. I don’t use foil on the drip tray but scrape it every 3-5 cooks depending on what I have cooked or am ready to cook.

My grill sloped uphill to the drip bucket so I put some plywood under the controller side. Lucky for me it was before the run up in prices!

Not much clearance to elevate the left side without hitting the grates. I have not found it to be a problem. If the oil hits the foil and does not run off it soils (I know I'm a poet), but usually bakes itself down to charcoal. I don't change the foil until it gets really dirty or has lots of oil still present. Never had grease fire from that. Apparently, the space between diffuser and drip tray is limited, and so therefore they did not have much clearance for the drip pan to slope more. I don't see that as a flaw at all. Maybe after a long low/slow I would change the foil for sure. Otherwise it is an unpleasant chore for me. Some do not foil the pan at all, and just scrape it clean when needed with a putty knife. But then you have to have a bucket to scrape into and paper towels to clean up with. Proves that doing good things often requires a little dirty work. So be it!

Not much clearance to elevate the left side without hitting the grates. I have not found it to be a problem. If the oil hits the foil and does not run off it soils (I know I'm a poet), but usually bakes itself down to charcoal. I don't change the foil until it gets really dirty or has lots of oil still present. Never had grease fire from that. Apparently, the space between diffuser and drip tray is limited, and so therefore they did not have much clearance for the drip pan to slope more. I don't see that as a flaw at all. Maybe after a long low/slow I would change the foil for sure. Otherwise it is an unpleasant chore for me. Some do not foil the pan at all, and just scrape it clean when needed with a putty knife. But then you have to have a bucket to scrape into and paper towels to clean up with. Proves that doing good things often requires a little dirty work. So be it!
Wasn’t talking about raising the drip pan. Talking about raising hopper side of grill with a half in piece of plywood under those wheels. Grill was level before raising.

My 700 has never drained as much as I would have expected either. But it's not a cooking issue at all. Some of your experience could be from how much fat you're trimming off also*

My grill sits on a sloped patio with the controller side lower than the drip bucket side. I needed the plywood under the controller wheels to get it back to level so the grill could work as designed.

Not much of a slope on the drip pan on my 590 and I get greese fires when I cook burgers and brats. One spark hits the hot greese that's sitting there and a fire starts.

I noticed a lot more grease on my Traeger, but the drip tray was not nearly as long as the one on the Bull. I think it sits on the tray longer and burns up in the Bull.

I use spaghetti jars in the bucket to catch grease. Get full, cap back on and in the trash, add another one and repeat.

I noticed a lot more grease on my Traeger, but the drip tray was not nearly as long as the one on the Bull. I think it sits on the tray longer and burns up in the Bull.

I use spaghetti jars in the bucket to catch grease. Get full, cap back on and in the trash, add another one and repeat.
That's a better idea than my Solo cups.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Back