Good evening, from Central Maryland

GibSmoker

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Just thought I'd drop a quick line, I bought an RT-1250 about 2 weeks ago, after returning a Traeger Pro 575.
So far, wings; Baby back ribs; spatchcock chicken; and 2 chuck roasts as poor man brisket.
The chucks were practice runs for a small local grass fed brisket, and a Costco packer that I''m hoping not to ruin.

Welcome to the forum. What do you think of the 1250 as compared to the Traeger?

Welcome to the forum. What do you think of the 1250 as compared to the Traeger?The

The Recteq ... works, and the build quality is noticeably superior. To be specific, the sheet metal is better quality (stainless), and to my eyes appears to be a heavier gauge.

I returned the Pro 575 because Traeger, after significant EFF'ry during a pork-belly bacon cook at 185, acknowledged they have a known issue with those units maintaining low smoking temps. I had the unit set to 185, but had spikes as high as 243, and consistent temps over 235. The tech (over the chat function) told me they were "working on a solution" but couldn't state when/if they would be able to provide a fix. So, I returned it. I acknowledge, it was rock-solid over 225, but it was too much of an investment to have issues at low temps.

The RT-1250 (a jump up in price and capability) has been rock solid. The only issue i have had i traced down to bad pellets (Bear Mountain) that I got from an Amazon reseller, and once I got those crumbling pellets out of the hopper/auger, the temp was/is consistent. I also appreciated the fact that in mitigating the bad pellets during a chuck roast cook I was able to use the app to slow down the auger advance rate, which saved that cook.

Thanks for the update. My son has both a RT-700 and a Traeger Pro 575. He likes them both for different reasons. I don’t think he ever cooks below 225 and usually more like 275 so he hasn’t experienced those temp problems. I definitely agree the Rec Teq is built with better materials.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back