Rubs Go to rub recipes

Bama BBQ

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Anyone care to share their most go to Rub Recipes ?
I'm asking about your rubs that are good on pork, beef & poultry, the most common cooks you make.

One I'm currently using:

1/2 cup smoked spanish paprika
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tbsp. white or black pepper (fresh ground pepper corn is best)
1 tbsp. garlic powder
1 tbsp. ( kosher or sea salt )
1 tbsp. onion powder

1 tsp. cayenne pepper (optional) for those who like hot wings or ribs.

This is quick to make, stores good & yields around 1 1/3 cup, creates a great bark & or crispy skin on poultry.
Have also used this rub applied lightly to various seafoods including shrimp, salmon, smoked mullet etc. with "small adjustments" that may or may not include lemon pepper.

My got-to rub for pork and chicken:

1 cup turbinado sugar (or 1/2 cup light brown sugar and 1/2 cup dark brown sugar)
2 tablespoons ancho chili powder
2 tablespoons yellow mustard powder
2 tablespoons onion powder
2 tablespoons garlic powder
2 tablespoons kosher salt
2 tablespoons ground black pepper
2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
2 teaspoons paprika

For beef, I’ve always favored a salt-pepper-garlic powder blend, but lately I’ve really been liking salt-pepper and Boars Night Out White Lightning.

I hate to say it but this is my new "go to" and it taste great. Yes, it says seasoning but it works just fine as a rub.
shopping.png

There are some really good commercially made rubs that I use all the time. Figure if they are that good, I will probably not raise the bar much doing it on my own.

That being said, I do make one rub when cooking lamb chops or rack of lamb. Really does a nice job with the seasoning of those two cuts of meat, and the paprika adds a nice color. I am not good with recipes, so I always make it by just look and taste. I usually make enough to last 4-5 cooks.
Base is Lamb Seasoning from Penzys, then I add tandoori seasoning, a little smoke paprika, sweet paprika and dried mint leaves. I ground the mint leaves in the palm of my hand so it mixes with the other spices better. A real good rub for lamb chops and rack of ribs. Just add more or less of each ingredient to meet your taste when putting the rub together. Sorry I do not have exacts.

I make close variations to the first two in this thread. I also like to add corriander too. I'm not much on bought rubs, but I do like the Kosmos dirty bird and their dusts.

Was using Memphis dust for all pork but tried this one from Hey Grill Hey for BB ribs and now prefer it. Haven't tried it on a butt as yet.

1/4 cup brown sugar
2 teaspoons Kosher salt
2 teaspoons black pepper
2 teaspoons smoked paprika
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon ground mustard
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon celery salt
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper

For beef/briskets just S&P.

For chicken it's Grill Mates Montreal Chicken or nothing at all.

I found that I like Harry Soo's Slap your Daddy rubs so much I stopped bothering making my own. With the exception of my steak rub. And it is pretty simple, just salt, pepper, sugar, and ground porcini mushroom.

How often do folks "dry brine" before adding the rub? I have tried it on Pork: butts and ribs, chicken: whole bird and thighs with excellent results. If my memory serves I "dry brined" my last brisket as well, but with CRS I won't swear to that as it was back before Covid shut down gatherings.

How often do folks "dry brine" before adding the rub? I have tried it on Pork: butts and ribs, chicken: whole bird and thighs with excellent results. If my memory serves I "dry brined" my last brisket as well, but with CRS I won't swear to that as it was back before Covid shut down gatherings.

What is CRS?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back