GMG pizza oven is awesome

great price! I got one last summer for 140. Works great. I just picked up a steel that fits and it gets even hotter.

I found the GMG pizza oven for $80 on eBay and used it for the first time last weekend. It fits perfect, gets super hot and cooks pizzas in a matter of minutes. Highly recommended if you’re into that!
Great find! Since the grill temp probe is outside of the pizza oven, I'm curious how well the grill regulates temperature. Do you run it at the max temp with the default feed rate? What temo did the grill probe read?

We're a bit lazy, so we do the Papa Murphy thing and just put the Pizza on the Racks
The Bull holds 4 Large easy
We'll pull them off their "Pan" and put them on the Smoke Mats (on the Bottom Rack) sometimes
Poppa's Favorites.jpeg

Last edited:
I was considering getting one of these GMG pizza ovens but kept thinking... Every time I wanted to used it, I'd have to remove the grates, drip tray and heat deflector, store them somewhere, then install the pizza oven. Cook a few pizzas for several minutes each, let everything cool off, remove the pizza oven, store it somewhere, put the heat deflector, drip tray and grates back on. Nothing difficult about it, just seems like a pain in a$$ every time I wanted to use the pizza oven for 10 minutes worth of cook time.

I've used a pizza stone on my Weber gas grill with rotisserie burner on (for above pizza browning) which has worked great for many years, but missing the wood smoke flavor, even when using the built in smoke box filled with wood chips, the smoke just never goes across the pizza enough to impart smoke flavor.

So tonight, I used the pizza stone on the 590 and it came out great with a nice crispy crust. Sure it took 10 minutes instead of a few minutes like the GMG pizza oven, but I'm okay with that since I didn't have to go through the routine of removed and reinstalling all the grill parts. Plus the stone takes very little storage space compared to the pizza oven, which it pretty large.

I don't have Papa Murphy near me so I make my own dough in the bread machine. Used parchment paper making it much easier to slide the pizza on the stone.

I can understand if you need to cook many pizzas (pizza party), the reduced cook time using the pizza oven would really pay off. I don't cook a lot of pizzas at once, so for my needs, the pizza stone works fine. I have another slightly smaller stone, so the 590 can easily cook 2 pizzas at the same time which is plenty for my needs. YMMV

RT-590 pizza (our pizza is squarish, because we don't cut corners, locals will understand)
IMG_3421.JPG

Weber pizza
Pizza.jpg

Pizza2.JPG

I was considering getting one of these GMG pizza ovens but kept thinking... Every time I wanted to used it, I'd have to remove the grates, drip tray and heat deflector, store them somewhere, then install the pizza oven. Cook a few pizzas for several minutes each, let everything cool off, remove the pizza oven, store it somewhere, put the heat deflector, drip tray and grates back on. Nothing difficult about it, just seems like a pain in a$$ every time I wanted to use the pizza oven for 10 minutes worth of cook time.

I've used a pizza stone on my Weber gas grill with rotisserie burner on (for above pizza browning) which has worked great for many years, but missing the wood smoke flavor, even when using the built in smoke box filled with wood chips, the smoke just never goes across the pizza enough to impart smoke flavor.

So tonight, I used the pizza stone on the 590 and it came out great with a nice crispy crust. Sure it took 10 minutes instead of a few minutes like the GMG pizza oven, but I'm okay with that since I didn't have to go through the routine of removed and reinstalling all the grill parts. Plus the stone takes very little storage space compared to the pizza oven, which it pretty large.

I don't have Papa Murphy near me so I make my own dough in the bread machine. Used parchment paper making it much easier to slide the pizza on the stone.

I can understand if you need to cook many pizzas (pizza party), the reduced cook time using the pizza oven would really pay off. I don't cook a lot of pizzas at once, so for my needs, the pizza stone works fine. I have another slightly smaller stone, so the 590 can easily cook 2 pizzas at the same time which is plenty for my needs. YMMV

RT-590 pizza (our pizza is squarish, because we don't cut corners, locals will understand)
View attachment 10961

Weber pizza
View attachment 10960
View attachment 10962
Which pizza stone are you using, link? I have a Bull on order to be delivered Wednesday and I'm already planning all kinds of things to cook on it. Also, I have a set of grillgrates coming with it and have heard that the flat side does a great job with a pizza screen rather than stone.

Any thoughts from the veteran Recteq users? Of course it depends on personal preference but ultimately I just want a uniform crust that I can control how crisp with the time it's cooking. Thanks in advance!

Which pizza stone are you using, link? I have a Bull on order to be delivered Wednesday and I'm already planning all kinds of things to cook on it. Also, I have a set of grillgrates coming with it and have heard that the flat side does a great job with a pizza screen rather than stone.

Any thoughts from the veteran Recteq users? Of course it depends on personal preference but ultimately I just want a uniform crust that I can control how crisp with the time it's cooking. Thanks in advance!
The stone is over 15 years old so no links. I read you can get rectangular/square stones used in a ceramic kilns.
I'm sure there are hundreds of pizza stones available on Amazon. Selecting the right size is important since you don't want to go beyond the drip tray but you want it big enough for a large pizza. The one in my pic is 15" and is smaller than the 590 drip tray. Tip: Never use any soap to wash it, soak in warm water only.

I tried cooking pizza on a mesh mat directly on the stock grates and the bottom was burning before the cheese was done, that's why I tried the stone. I have grillgrates which just so happen to fit both my Weber gaser and 590 and though I have not tried them for pizza, I'd think they get too hot and would burn the bottom before the cheese was bubbling brown the way I like it. Those grillgrates got into the high 900s on the weber when I did a reverse sear.

Great find! Since the grill temp probe is outside of the pizza oven, I'm curious how well the grill regulates temperature. Do you run it at the max temp with the default feed rate? What temo did the grill probe read?
I set it between 400-450 and it regulates pretty well. I should set up some probes outside the pizza oven to see what the ambient temps are. I assume it’s accurate, hard to say exactly since this setup isn’t exactly what the grill is designed to do. I’ve found that sweet spot where my pizza stone temp is 750-800° and it’s awesome, so I’m happy.

I set it between 400-450 and it regulates pretty well. I should set up some probes outside the pizza oven to see what the ambient temps are. I assume it’s accurate, hard to say exactly since this setup isn’t exactly what the grill is designed to do. I’ve found that sweet spot where my pizza stone temp is 750-800° and it’s awesome, so I’m happy.
I guess enough heat emanating from the pizza oven makes it over to the grill probe to regulate the correct pellet feed rate to keep temp. I though it might try to overfeed pellets to try to get to temp, but looks like it's working great for you (y)

Found this Amazon review

https://www.amazon.com/Green-Mountain-Grill-Fired-Pizza/dp/B01MR2NFGT#customerReviews

Victor
5.0 out of 5 stars Green Mountain Grill GMG-4023 Wood Fired Pizza Oven Fits recteq RT-700 Bull!
Reviewed in the United States on September 30, 2020
Verified Purchase
Our family LOVES pizza! We also love to make our own, but the authentic "Neapolitan" style pizza has always eluded us, due to the fact that we don't have access to a domed, wood-fired oven with temperatures over 800 degrees. After doing some research on the internet, we came across the GMG Wood Fired Pizza Oven and thought that it would be a possible solution for us. The problem is, we own a recteq RT-700 Bull, not a GMG, so we scoured the internet to see if we could find a definitive answer to our question...

"Would the GMG-4023 Wood Fired Pizza Oven fit our recteq RT-700 Bull?"

Unfortunately, the answer to our question was nowhere to be found.

We decided to take a chance and order one, regardless, and we're glad that we did! We are happy to report that with a very minor tweak, it fit PERFECTLY!!! (see pics)

There are two metals tabs protruding from the front of the base unit and two on the back. They are straight. Take an adjustable wrench and tighten it onto each tab and slowly bend each tab down, approximately 1/2". THAT'S IT! Once you position the base of the unit back onto the fire pot, if you have any wobble, simply fine-tune your previous adjustments until the wobble completely goes away.

This unit is constructed with sturdy materials and it has a very efficient design, so you won't have to worry about having buyer's remorse with this purchase. It is manufactured to last you a LONG time!

The cylindrical sleeve section that drops into the fire pot is designed to have an up-and-down adjustment, as well as a width ring, which helps the base to seal tightly against the fire pot and direct all of the flame from the fire pot towards the metal area of the base underneath the pizza stone.

One final comment about the GMG-4023 that we could not find the answer to on the internet:

There are two models with the exact same part number. We contacted Green Mountain Grills and they clarified this issue for us. The old design is the one with the smooth, lower, arched front. It's the more modern design of the two, but it has been discontinued. The new model is the one with the front that looks more like a pyramid. In fact, as I write this, the picture on this very Amazon listing is a picture of the old model, not the newer model.

We certainly hope this helps the next person with the same questions we had!
What do you set your Temp on the 700 when you use the oven.

Ok, at $80 shipped for the GMG pizza oven with pizza peel, both blemished, I pulled the trigger. Cooking a pizza in a few minutes is a new experience. The stone gets to ~800F. Homemade Neapolitan style dough using 00 flour, with 24 hour fermentation at room temperature. Nice light & airy, crispy outside, chewy inside.
How about some pulled pork, green pepper and onion pizza...

IMG_3467.JPG
IMG_3460.JPG
IMG_3484.JPG
IMG_3486.JPG
IMG_3495.JPG
IMG_3496.JPG
IMG_3501.JPG

IMG_3497.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_3485.JPG
    IMG_3485.JPG
    555.4 KB · Views: 88
Ok, at $80 shipped for the GMG pizza oven with pizza peel, both blemished, I pulled the trigger. Cooking a pizza in a few minutes is a new experience. The stone gets to ~800F. Homemade Neapolitan style dough using 00 flour, with 24 hour fermentation at room temperature. Nice light & airy, crispy outside, chewy inside.

View attachment 13090View attachment 13091View attachment 13092View attachment 13094View attachment 13095View attachment 13096View attachment 13097
View attachment 13099

Oh MAN!! I'm on my way!!

Forrest Gump Reaction GIF

View attachment 13090View attachment 13091View attachment 13092View attachment 13094View attachment 13095View attachment 13096View attachment 13097
View attachment 13099
Looks perfect! What’s your dough recipe? I’m always trying to find the perfect one and that looks like it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back