GMG Green Mountain Pizza Oven Attachment for Rec Tec Stampede RT-590

Thummel1

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
I decided to give it a try and see if the Green Mountain Pizza Attachment fit on the Rec Tec RT-590. Purchased off Amazon and set it in the grill tonight. Overall fits very well. Good fit on the fire box.
IMG_20200520_181928.jpg

The rear support tabs seem to be resting appropriately. May need a little bend to give full support.
IMG_20200520_181918.jpg

The tabs in front are a bit high off the grill, but could easily be bent to give more support.
IMG_20200520_181946.jpg

Honestly, I don't even know that is necessary as it is pretty sturdy even without the front support.

GMG revised the design of the attachment so the roof of the oven can be removed. Excited to give cook some zas in the near future.

FYI, I've cooked a lot of pizza on the grill without the oven attachment. I know they turn out great without!!! Still, a fun attachment and wanted to share with others that it does seem to fit reasonably well on the Stampede!
IMG_20200520_182008.jpg

Great photos. Thanks for sharing. I'm curious if you can taste the smoke in the pizza? When you do cook a pizza, please let us know if you think it is any better than just doing it straight on the grill. In other words... is this worth it?

I'll give an update once we cook some. However I've had several off the Green Mountain. I don't think you get any smoke flavor in my opinion. The perk of the oven is high temps for fast cook times. You can cook a pizza in about 4 minutes.

I'll give an update once we cook some. However I've had several off the Green Mountain. I don't think you get any smoke flavor in my opinion. The perk of the oven is high temps for fast cook times. You can cook a pizza in about 4 minutes.
Wow! That's interesting. 4 minutes! I appreciate all this information. Thank you!

I cook amazing pizzas on my 700 all the time low and slow. Never needed an attachment to do it though

Me too except I use high heat

Congrats on your amazing pizzas, guys!

I didn't post this to start a debate that these grills can/can't cook pizza. In fact, if you read the thread, I cook a lot of pizzas without the attachment and think they are fantastic.

It's a fun accessory that many people ask about and I wanted to share my experience on the fit with others!

Congrats on your amazing pizzas, guys!

I didn't post this to start a debate that these grills can/can't cook pizza. In fact, if you read the thread, I cook a lot of pizzas without the attachment and think they are fantastic.

It's a fun accessory that many people ask about and I wanted to share my experience on the fit with others!
No debate just information. I've never done a pizza low and slow but may have to try it sometime.

I just did the same thing (GMG pizza attachment)

it's very different and really depends on what kind of pizza you want to make. If you want to make standard American pizza, Papa Murphys comes out just fine (or similar)

If you're going for more Italian or NY style, you can't do that on a grill, you need higher heat and at very least a pizza stone. I tried with a baking steel and I just lost too much heat opening up the oven. (I wanted 800f+ on the Stone)

the GMG attachment allows that but requires you to get messy (the grills, drip tray and heat deflector have to come out). If you don't care about cooking a Neapolitan style pizza in less than two minutes, don't bother. But if you do... it's pretty awesome

How about that update? Is it worth it to you?

Also, are you using premade crusts typically or do you mix your own dough?

The attachment is fun, don't get me wrong. Is it necessary? Absolutely not.

We've made our own dough every time, but have used premade mix kits and scratch dough... I dont think there is any significant difference worth the effort with scratch dough. However you do have a bit more pride and satisfaction making your own.

Just like the last post stated if you're cooking a za needing high temps cooked in a few minutes this attachment is fantastic. Otherwise, it certainly isn't necessary. Nonetheless, it is a lot of fun! I would still recommend it.

After reading this, I bought one (found a seller on eBay selling them new for $120). It arrived yesterday, so of course I made pizza. I used fresh pizza dough from Trader Joe’s but plan on making my own. Clearly I cannot make the dough round, so my pizzas were - shall we say - ”rustic”.

6DE6CC0A-0AD1-4F23-92A3-84ECD8947771.jpeg

D9CE21DE-888B-494F-9EA8-AD974921ADC2.jpeg

69290456-C274-4DEB-B586-6280BE2FC4D3.jpeg

It gets very hot - hotter than my IR thermometer can read - and I ended up turning it down because it was burning the base of the pizza. Cook time was maybe 2-3 minutes, but I need to finesse the temperature. Even after three grill was off, and the “lid” removed for several minutes, the pizza stone was still 600 degrees. I would say that setting the grill temp to 300 or so will give you good results. Higher than that and you’d want super thin dough and pull after 30-45 seconds maybe.

It is good fit but if you thought you were going to do multiple pizzas at a time, you are not. The opening is maybe 15” wide. When disassembled, the pieces can live on top of the grill grates.

9ACD75E7-4D82-40E1-8C17-E9C1B1B6E9B2.jpeg

1B8557E0-8EED-438F-B88B-101D75F3DD87.jpeg

2C7516D2-1EAA-4A5B-A27C-8BE46F2FA49E.jpeg

I cook amazing pizzas on my 700 all the time low and slow. Never needed an attachment to do it though
What temp are you cooking at and how does your crust turn out? I've got a steel and two stones and I'm always searching for that crispy crust. Only been using store bought frozen dough because I still can't get yeast at my local grocery stores. My attempts so far have been all high temperature and results have been OK but I think they can still be better.

GMG offers 2 sizes for the pizza oven attachment. Which oven did you get that fit the RT-590? The only thing holding me back from pulling the trigger on the 590 was the pizza oven on the GMG... this could push me over the edge on the 590!!

I decided to give it a try and see if the Green Mountain Pizza Attachment fit on the Rec Tec RT-590. Purchased off Amazon and set it in the grill tonight. Overall fits very well. Good fit on the fire box.
View attachment 4100
The rear support tabs seem to be resting appropriately. May need a little bend to give full support.
View attachment 4102
The tabs in front are a bit high off the grill, but could easily be bent to give more support.
View attachment 4103
Honestly, I don't even know that is necessary as it is pretty sturdy even without the front support.

GMG revised the design of the attachment so the roof of the oven can be removed. Excited to give cook some zas in the near future.

FYI, I've cooked a lot of pizza on the grill without the oven attachment. I know they turn out great without!!! Still, a fun attachment and wanted to share with others that it does seem to fit reasonably well on the Stampede!View attachment 4099
Have you tried using the stone to sear anything? I saw a YouTube of someone using the smaller oven to sear steak. It worked pretty well, but looked a little tricky due to the oven size and the lid being attached to the oven.

Another dough option if you're lazy like me; go to your favorite local pizza joint and ask them to sell you some dough. Mine sells balls of dough, big enough to make an 18" pizza for a couple bucks.

What temp are you cooking at and how does your crust turn out? I've got a steel and two stones and I'm always searching for that crispy crust. Only been using store bought frozen dough because I still can't get yeast at my local grocery stores. My attempts so far have been all high temperature and results have been OK but I think they can still be better.
You get two different types of pizza. It's just science hotter = crisper. I have made stone oven pizzas since 1982. Probably 25000 pizzas. I have also made plenty of south shore bar pizzas, and Sicilian sheet pan pizzas.
If you want true Napolitano pizza you need the right flour

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back