Giving Chuck Roast a shot for Burnt Ends

So, were that as good as they look?

They were excellent. The smoke was strong, but not sooty bitter. The spiciness was perfect. I used a favorite brisket rub with the usual suspects of ingredients from A to Z. But I think they could have been a bit sweeter on the outer layer. Since it was just me at the game party, there's still a lot left over. But it was hard not sitting there and eating the whole batch. The wife came home late and had a few. I'd say they are 90% of real Brisket Burnt Ends.

If you're seeking a substitute for real brisket point, the closest I've come was Flap Meat. Since it is thinner in places, you can't make those big 1 1/2" cubes, but it does have that intergranular collagen that makes brisket point have a certain texture, pillow-y spring and feel in the mouth.

I would smoke this whole so you keep all your juices and keep it tender. When you get it to about 205 I would pull it and cube it and put in a pan with your favorite bbq sauce and let it cook about 30-45 more minutes. Or you can get it to 205 and pull and let it rest a hour or two then cube it and put back on smoker for about an hour. Good luck with however you decide.
Ok i tried all that…275 for 1 hr 45” until 160 on recteq 1250. Pulled and wrapped in paper with butter until 190. Them pulled, cubed, sauced and honey and put in foil tray for another 30”.

Tough, tough….can’t believe it came out so tough. What did I do wrong?

Ok i tried all that…275 for 1 hr 45” until 160 on recteq 1250. Pulled and wrapped in paper with butter until 190. Them pulled, cubed, sauced and honey and put in foil tray for another 30”.

Tough, tough….can’t believe it came out so tough. What did I do wrong?
@Bbqallday80 cooked his straight thru to 205 while you said you pulled and wrapped at 160 (you don’t mention what the bark looked like) then you were done at 190. What I would recommend is to cook it until it is probe tender regardless of temp. Once probe tender then cube, doctor them up and put them back on for 30-45 minutes. It sounds to me like you didn’t let them cook long enough to fully break down the connective tissue.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Back