Getting ready to order my RT590

Lineforeman

I am getting ready to order my Stampede later this week and am looking at the accessories. I am for sure getting the all weather smoke vents and a grill cover when they come back in stock. I am wondering if I should order the folding shelf or if I would be better off building my own? Do current owners have any recomendations on these items or on any other that would be benifcial?

I did the shelf and really enjoy it. I also ordered 2 of the interior shelves. Haven't used both at the same time yet, but could do 2 sides above meat that way.

I am getting ready to order my Stampede later this week and am looking at the accessories. I am for sure getting the all weather smoke vents and a grill cover when they come back in stock. I am wondering if I should order the folding shelf or if I would be better off building my own? Do current owners have any recomendations on these items or on any other that would be benifcial?
Have a look at this thread: https://www.recteqforum.com/threads/folding-bracket-size-for-front-shelf-with-competition-cart.2884/

There is a lot of good info on how to build your own shelf. You can get some extra work space this way and add a personalization to your rig.

Do your own shelf. It’s pretty easy if you follow some of the suggestions here. You can design it however you want and to your own specifications.

You also might look into a lavalock gasket before you get it all dirty. It will be easier to install on clean metal and will greatly reduce any smoke leakage.

I built my own shelf a couple years ago before it was available from
RT, may have been the first of quite a few threads on here on how it's done and what brackets. To be more specific, and why it might be a better idea to do your own, the biggest complaint about the RT supplied on is how shallow it is.........10" IIRC. It's better than nothing, but many who have it wish it were at least a couple inches deeper.

Just placed the order. Got the Stampede, all weather vents and a grate brush for now the cover is out of stock so I will either have to search and find one that will work somewhere else or wait till they come back in stock and order one then. Now I have to order the Lava Lock to seal it and some shelf brackets so I am all ready when it gets here.

Just placed the order. Got the Stampede, all weather vents and a grate brush for now the cover is out of stock so I will either have to search and find one that will work somewhere else or wait till they come back in stock and order one then. Now I have to order the Lava Lock to seal it and some shelf brackets so I am all ready when it gets here.
I am not sure about brackets size without the Competition cart. I think all the people on the thread I mentioned had Comp carts.

I used the 12" brackets that worked perfectly for the comp cart and I would think work the same on the standard cart. What I liked about them was that I was able to extend the Red Oak Stair tread out over the end of the 12" brackets and the rear of the wood was 2.5" away from the cooking barrel giving me extra work space and moving the wood away from the heat. In addition the trigger of these brackets are smooth which is a benefit w/ the comp cart but probably not an issue with the standard cart.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M2UYPHS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Invest in a cobalt 25/64" drill bit to oversize the hole(s) in the stainless steel brackets that mount to the legs of the grill.

You're going to love the 590
Don't know about a shelf. I use the two on my old gas fired bq. I still use it for burgers and dogs.

I would highly recommend the comp cart. You still get the stock legs which I am using to make a prep table, I will post pics when finished

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back