Bullseye Getting more smoke out of RT-380?

Bh85

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bullseye
Is anyone using anything extra on RT380 to get more smoke? I would like more smoke, but considering that this grill runs higher (250+ minimum), and you cant keep it at 200 to get more smoke. I got smoke tube to try. Did anyone try smoke tube in it? Im using LJ hickory pellets in the smoker.

For most of my hot cooks like steaks, fish, pork chops, etc., I usually throw some wood chips (pecan are my favorite, but any work) on the heat deflector/diffusor plate. The big-box stores all carry bags of them, and you only need less than a small handful each time. You can soak them in water ahead of time if you'd like, but I usually just toss them on as-is. Since the hot cooks typically don't last more than 20-30 min, that's enough time for the wood chips to catch fire and produce some extra smoke. I find it easier & quicker than the smoke tube for the RT380 Bullseye.

How has that worked for you?
I didn't try it yet. I will try it this weekend and let you know. I plan on doing ribs.

For most of my hot cooks like steaks, fish, pork chops, etc., I usually throw some wood chips (pecan are my favorite, but any work) on the heat deflector/diffusor plate. The big-box stores all carry bags of them, and you only need less than a small handful each time. You can soak them in water ahead of time if you'd like, but I usually just toss them on as-is. Since the hot cooks typically don't last more than 20-30 min, that's enough time for the wood chips to catch fire and produce some extra smoke. I find it easier & quicker than the smoke tube for the RT380 Bullseye.
I might wrap some wood chips in foil and poke some holes in it and see if that would light up and smoke on heat deflector.

How has that worked for you?
I smoked a rack this weekend. I used a maz n tube, i believe 12inch, loaded with bear mountain mesquite pellets and hickory chips. I layered pellets and chips in the tube. It was probably 70% pellets, 30% chips. Everything in the tube burned. I was affraid that maybe chips would kill the burning process, but they burned to the ash. I definitely got more smoke. I am happy with smoke flavor now. I also did change offset on the smoker and my temp now is off maybe by 10-15 degrees, which is not bad. I was actually able to set it on LO and get temperatures around 200 degrees, +/- 5.

I have t had any issues with smoke and setting to 225 and letting it cook without opening the lid. Temps will fluctuate some, but not enough to make a difference on the longer cooks. Have done a couple pork butts, a brisket flat, and some spare ribs. All came out great. Also do a reverse sear in most of my steaks.

I have t had any issues with smoke and setting to 225 and letting it cook without opening the lid. Temps will fluctuate some, but not enough to make a difference on the longer cooks. Have done a couple pork butts, a brisket flat, and some spare ribs. All came out great. Also do a reverse sear in most of my steaks.
The problem is that pellet smokers will smoke the most and will give you the most smoke flavor at about 200 degrees. Since rt380 runs by about 50 degree hotter, at LO it would be running at 250 degrees. At LO it should run at 200. I made a change on offset setting at +17, so now at LO, it will read 200 +\- 5 to 10 degrees. Now it smokes pretty good. This is one change that everyone should make on their smoker to make it run more accurate. I’m surprised RecTeq doesn’t do this from factory. I’m very happy how it runs now.

The problem is that pellet smokers will smoke the most and will give you the most smoke flavor at about 200 degrees. Since rt380 runs by about 50 degree hotter, at LO it would be running at 250 degrees. At LO it should run at 200. I made a change on offset setting at +17, so now at LO, it will read 200 +\- 5 to 10 degrees. Now it smokes pretty good. This is one change that everyone should make on their smoker to make it run more accurate. I’m surprised RecTeq doesn’t do this from factory. I’m very happy how it runs now.
I have not experience this large offset you mention on mine. Verified with Inkbird probes. Set mine to 225 and it will hold 225 +/- 20-30 degrees for the most part. In those temp swings, as it's cooling back off, it really smokes. I have only tried "lo" once and it has worse temp swings, but was trying to hold 200 degrees. But I ahve t had any issues with getting smoke flavor setting it at 225 and have more consistent temp

I have not experience this large offset you mention on mine. Verified with Inkbird probes. Set mine to 225 and it will hold 225 +/- 20-30 degrees for the most part. In those temp swings, as it's cooling back off, it really smokes. I have only tried "lo" once and it has worse temp swings, but was trying to hold 200 degrees. But I ahve t had any issues with getting smoke flavor setting it at 225 and have more consistent temp
Yea who knows. I have switched to Bear Mountain pellets and i like them better than Lumberjack. I think they give more smoke flavor. What are you using?

Yea who knows. I have switched to Bear Mountain pellets and i like them better than Lumberjack. I think they give more smoke flavor. What are you using?
Started off with Bear Mountain Gourmet Blend and really liked them. Also tried the Bear Mountain Mesquite. Then bought some of the Sam's Club brand. Got a bag of the Bourbon Barrel, didn't really care for the smoke flavor from them on most meats, and just finished them off. Have some of the premium smokehouse blend I haven't gotten into yet.

The Bear Mountain Gourmet Blend pellets had the most consistent temps. Started getting more temp swings when I switched to others. The last half of the Sam's Bourbon Barrel pellets started to become more consistent with temps as I wasn't switching flavors trying to run them out

Also bought a used RT-300 locally that came with some Treager apple wood pellets, and a bag of ReqTec Ultimate blend. Have used all of those in the smoker. The apple wood was good for pork. The RecTeq pellets were okay, but the lengths of the pellets were all over the place. Some up to 2" long, which is too long for the auger.

I usually use a smoke tube or even 2. I like to use 2 when I have a bigger shoulder or a bigger brisket. I have had very good luck with lumberjack pellets but I have to order them from Michigan since I can’t Ind them in Indiana. I’m gonna try to find some Bear Mountain and give them a shot. Also, I place my tube or tubes on the opposite side of thermal probe for the grill.

I have used tube as well. It definitely helps. I layered it with pellets and then wood chips. All burned with no problems. I wanna try ribs with only mesquite bear mountain pellets to see what smoke flavor i get. I know mesquite is not really popular with ribs. It seems like everyone is using hickory.

I know mesquite is not really popular with ribs. It seems like everyone is using hickory.
I've never used mesquite pellets, but would like to try. I have done a ton of cooks with lump mesquite charcoal over the years and have liked the results on things like ribs. I can tell you that 12+ hours of mesquite is a little overpowering and bitter on brisket or a pork butt. I highly recommend trying mesquite on ribs. I did get some green mesquite chunks for my smoke tube, but haven't had the opportunity to play with that yet.

How did you do it?

Another way to add more smoke it not to wrap the rib in foil with all that butter, sugar and honey. I feel like all that moisture removes smoke flavor and rub.

I was talking w BBQDadJody a couple years ago about this at the Recteq tent at Memphis in May and that was his exact recommendation, a handful of dry chips or even pellets on the firebox. it seems to work well for me.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back