Getting 590 Today Black Friday? CART?

Grill(s) owned
  1. RT-680
Hello Fellow Meatheads!

I was supposed to a RT 2 years ago for Father’s Day and I never got it.

-BLACK FRIDAY DEAL would be 15%

*I heard Rec Tec had better deals in past, but I'm sure even their best deal wouldn't be THAT much more $$ off than 15% off for the 590?:rolleyes:

-Have 3 people in my family so getting RT-590 and for space savings.

-WANT don't need the 590-Competition Cart. It looks really cool and makes it easier to wheel around.:)

What I’m Planning to get:
Rec Tec RT-590
Competition Cart
Seer Kit
Cover RT-590 I know it's tight
Grill Mat
*No Rec Tec Pellets. Can find better local; i'm 25 miles N of Dallas, TX.

In summary, any advice on my planned purchase (OR something I should ADD) please let me know before I pull the trigger? It’s 11-23-2022 @12:30lm CT. Probably order later today.

I am sure you all heard of a THERMOWORKS Thermometer. I never have, but they are 30% of. IS this worth buying and do I need it? Not sure how well the probes from RecTec work?

maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:
Hello Fellow Meatheads!

I was supposed to get one two years ago for Father’s Day and I never got it. Now that it’s on sale, I get 15% off on everything.

I was going to get the 700, but honestly I don’t need it and don’t need to take up any additional room. We have three people in my family.

I know I don’t need it, but I want the competition card because I think it looks cool and it’s easy to wheel around, I bet I won’t wheel around that much but I still think it’s cool, is this a mistake?

Still not 100% in cart but why the hell not???

What I’m getting, or Planning to get:
Comp Cart
Seer Kit
Cover
Grill Mat
*Not getting pellets as I think I can find local that are better. I’m 25 miles N of Dallas, TX.

I’m a pretty good cook and griller but I’ve never had a smoker in my life. Just want to make Brisket #1 then Ribs and Chicken.

Not sure HOW great it is to cook a steak with the Seer Kit vs a Gas Grill? But I’d love to make a steak on it if it works well?
ll
Anyone ever made Fajitas on Smoker?

OK, in summary, any advice let me know before I pull the trigger? It’s 11-23-2022 @12:30lm CT. Probably order later today.
I've had my 590 for almost 2 years and it's been great. You will enjoy it.

Looks like a solid plan. The comp cart makes moving the smoker so much easier, and totally worth it. Enjoy!

I love the large griddle, but it's a PITA as far as storage because it's BIG.
I do use it often though. (pizza, sausage, grilled onions, burgers)

Probes are OK after you calibrate them - use the Thermoworks to double check your work.

I LOVE my 590, in fact, I haven't used the Bullseye since I got this one.

I got the grill plates with my 590, I didn't use them on the Bullseye. Very good option to have, searing is even better now, whether I want grill lines or flat on the underside of the plates. I think they are worth it. Trying an experiment on it right now, hoping to get great results. Will know in less than 2 hours.

I also got the cover, but mine's been getting used so often that I haven't even taken the cover out of the box yet, lol. I'm sure I will use it after tomorrow.

Hello Fellow Meatheads!

*I heard Rec Tec had better deals in past, but I'm sure even their best deal wouldn't be THAT much more $$ off than 15% off for the 590?:rolleyes:

-WANT don't need the 590-Competition Cart. It looks really cool and makes it easier to wheel around.:)

Rec Tec RT-590
Competition Cart
Seer Kit
Grill Mat

In summary, any advice on my planned purchase (OR something I should ADD) please let me know before I pull the trigger? It’s 11-23-2022 @12:30lm CT. Probably order later today.

I am sure you all heard of a THERMOWORKS Thermometer. I never have, but they are 30% of. IS this worth buying and do I need it? Not sure how well the probes from RecTec work?

View attachment 18025

I have the same setup minus the sear pan and the grill mat but with the smoke vents, bought it with the comp cart during black Friday a few years ago, cart was free addon.

I'd maybe skip the mat unless its dirt cheap, you can find somethin at lowes or homdepot cheap but in reality, my 590 has never leaked anything to where a mat was helpful.

I bought the ThermoPro TP19 ($29 today amazon) over the ThermoPen, 1/2 the price and no discernable differences and I'm considering the new ThermoPro TempSpike thats on sale for $66 vs $99 at Amazon with this code 208Z6KAO + another 5% off.

My Recteq probes work fine, BTW

About to READ all you nice folks replies. I was starting to reconsider, Considering the RT-700. i honestly just don't want the larger size of it. Have 3 people and I know we may have guests now and again, but I think the 590 should work.

Anyone WISHED they got the 700 that bought the 590? I always take too long pondering, and last year would have got the 700, BUT, I just want something easy to use and 90% of the time if not more, I won't need more room. I barely have any friends.😥

I'm probably not much help, but a few months ago I did a massive cook (at least for me). I have a 1250, but I cooked on one rack like a 700. An 18 pound brisket next to a 20 pound pork shoulder. I may never do it again, but it was a fun cook that ended up feeding 25+ hungry coworkers. Normally I'm just cooking for three as well, but I like the extra space for Grill Grates on one side, etc.

IMG_1030.jpeg

About to READ all you nice folks replies. I was starting to reconsider, Considering the RT-700. i honestly just don't want the larger size of it. Have 3 people and I know we may have guests now and again, but I think the 590 should work.

Anyone WISHED they got the 700 that bought the 590? I always take too long pondering, and last year would have got the 700, BUT, I just want something easy to use and 90% of the time if not more, I won't need more room. I barely have any friends.😥
Nope

Have 3 people in my family had a 590 for 8 months and regretted not going bigger. Sold my 590 to a friend and upgraded to a 1250. Best decision I ever made. Had the 1250 for 15 months now.

Everyone’s situation is different though, I cook on the weekend and eat on what I smoke throughout the week…

Hello Fellow Meatheads!

Rec Tec RT-590
Competition Cart
Seer Kit
Grill Mat

View attachment 18025
I have a 590 big enough for my family of 3. There are options for more shelving. I did a custom stainless rack in mine. I also bought a Jerky Rack from Grilla Grills. They are on sale right now for $74.99.

One of the first things I purchased years ago when I bought my first pellet grill (Daniel Boone Green Mountain) was a Thermoworks Thermapen. I’ve spent lots of money on grilling accessories and the Thermopen is by far the best money I spent on anything. I’ve given 3 for wedding gifts recently and they all love their Thermopen One.

Good luck in your upcoming purchases. Lastly, from my experiences with RecTeq customer service you will not find better. Their customer service is as advertised.

I would skip the Recteq cover and get a generic size large at Home Depot. It’s heavy duty and fits with plenty of room to spare. Just tape up those sharp corners on the hopper lid so you don’t poke holes in it.
I have the competition cart and it makes moving it around very easy. Too bad they didn’t make a door on it so you could put tools underneath, but they didn’t. Still, well worth the money. Full disclosure, it was free when my wife bought me my 590 for Christmas. and the grill mats are available elsewhere for much less and they are helpful. And I have the grill plates and use both sides.

I would skip the Recteq cover and get a generic size large at Home Depot. It’s heavy duty and fits with plenty of room to spare. Just tape up those sharp corners on the hopper lid so you don’t poke holes in it.
I have the competition cart and it makes moving it around very easy. Too bad they didn’t make a door on it so you could put tools underneath, but they didn’t. Still, well worth the money. Full disclosure, it was free when my wife bought me my 590 for Christmas. and the grill mats are available elsewhere for much less and they are helpful. And I have the grill plates and use both sides.
I put something like this Plastic corners on my hopper lid as others have on here.

Hello Fellow Meatheads!

Rec Tec RT-590
Competition Cart
Seer Kit
Grill Mat

View attachment 18025
I just got this: Green Mountain Grills GMG-6034 Collapsible Upper Rack from Amazon. It is big enough for a brisket and sits about 3.5 inches off the RT-590 grill grate. The 2nd Rack from RT is way too narrow and the legs take up left to right space which takes away about as much space as you gain w/ their rack.

I have the 590, the grill grates, front shelf & a 40 lb bag of pellets I haven't opened yet. About 2 months old now.
Front shelf is a must- either the Recteq or a DYI.
Grill grates......Too much of a PITA, I reverse sear at the end on my gasser. That way I can pull the meat from the Recteq & go immediately to the grille.
I bought the extra rack others use but will probably never install or use it. Just not enough room around it for me. I have a friend who will use it.
I wanted the cart real bad. I didn't get it. My smoker sits on concrete so it's easy to move here. Plus, I would have lost. the bottom shelf which was a deal breaker. I like the looks of it but if it's sitting in a stable area, it's not needed. Plus, it just makes you look like you have Yoder envy. LOL
0 regrets on my purchase, the size is perfect for the 2 of us with a few extra guests on occasion. One thing I'll add- I have 2 smoke tubes & haven't felt the need to use them on this smoker yet. My Traeger never made much smoke. Maybe it's the lack of a stack on the 590.
Cover? Save your money. I got one at Lowes that was clearance priced. Reg price $65, clearance price $16. They needed to make room for the Christmas stuff. Winter is BBQ season in the desert. No one wants to do it when it's 118 degrees outside.

“No one wants to do it when it's 118 degrees outside.”
If you can’t take the heat, hang in my pool while I smoke ribs at 118 here in the Mojave!
On the serious side, I lift up a shelf on the gas grill right next to my smoker. If necessary, I raise both shelves. That would be a nice add-on for Recteq, the front shelf doesn’t appeal to me, but a side shelf does. You can put stuff on the hopper lid, but you have to take it off frequently. Not convenient.

Did initial Burn In. It's 10:45pm and I am doing my 1st Brisket Ever at Midnight! 200 Degrees until the morning. My display is broken, many of the lcd's are not lit up so I can't see the temp, but I will use my app. Rest of grill was perfect! Bummed a little, but no biggie! They will fix it.

My display is broken, many of the lcd's are not lit up so I can't see the temp
That’s why many of us have an independent temperature measuring device/system in our toolkit. The “app” is certainly not foolproof, so some alternative is wise.

Do a quick search of the forum threads to see the options. Good luck with your first brisket cook.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back