Stampede FYI: 590 now includes 3rpm motor and cast-iron deflector

sherpa

Grill(s) owned
  1. RT-1250
I just confirmed on customer support chat that 590s now include 3rpm motor and cast-iron deflector just like 1250.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-06-13 at 11.37.16 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-06-13 at 11.37.16 AM.png
    43 KB · Views: 286
Is this a very recent (last few days) upgrade? I bought my Stampede about 3 weeks ago and it has the cast iron deflector so I assume that means the 3pm motor as well.

Assume mine has the 3rpm motor, wonder when that occurred?

Is this a very recent (last few days) upgrade? I bought my Stampede about 3 weeks ago and it has the cast iron deflector so I assume that means the 3pm motor as well.

From what I know, only 3rpm motor can take the temp to 700F, so, you could set the temp to Max and see if it reaches 700F or close to it.

Mine should come in tomorrow, I'll let you guys know if it has the cast iron defector or not. What's the easiest way to tell if it has a 3rpm motor or not... is the only way to tell to push it to 700F/Max temp?

Mine should come in tomorrow, I'll let you guys know if it has the cast iron defector or not. What's the easiest way to tell if it has a 3rpm motor or not... is the only way to tell to push it to 700F/Max temp?
With the grill hopper empty, use a inspection mirror in the firebox to see the auger, start the auger test, count the auger revolutions in a 1 minute, then you'll know. I ran through all the tests prior to filling the hopper and doing the initial burn in, of course, all tests passed (y)

So those of you with the 3rpm motor. Are you able to smoke at low temps like 180 - 200?
I ask because I put the 3rpm on my 590 a year or so ago and ended up taking it back out. It couldnt hold the low temps. If you are able to hold low temps maybe I'll try it again. On the upside with the 3rpm it heated up in 1/2 the time.

I wonder when they will sell the cast iron deflector as a part for the RT590 to replace the steel one. That should help with heat I would believe.

So those of you with the 3rpm motor. Are you able to smoke at low temps like 180 - 200?
I ask because I put the 3rpm on my 590 a year or so ago and ended up taking it back out. It couldnt hold the low temps. If you are able to hold low temps maybe I'll try it again. On the upside with the 3rpm it heated up in 1/2 the time.
The new 590s appear to have the new controller with updated firmware, which probably makes a difference. There are a few members here with older 590s who installed the 3RPM motor, though.

I wonder when they will sell the cast iron deflector as a part for the RT590 to replace the steel one. That should help with heat I would believe.
I've seen several pics of the cast iron deflector cracked, I don''t know how widespread the issue is. Several people have simply attached a piece of 1/4" plate steel to the stainless deflector for more consistent heat.

When I got an in-depth tour of the RT facility and bought my 590 in December 2021 I was told the new units would be able to reach 700*. I haven't tested it to confirm, but that's what I was told. If it is capable, then mine has been able to hold temps around 180-200 as well.

I totally agree about the possibility of cracking on cast iron. But, I also have an 22 yr old smoker with a cast iron wood chip box that uses an LP burner underneath it that is still perfect, but not used now. Of course, most items are not built like the old days anymore… cheap and volume is the game, lol.

After 1.5yrs of ownership and countless pounds of pellets, my 590 with the old rpm motor does fine for what I bought for, low and slow convenience smoking. I’ve been asked by friends if I would buy another one, and my answer is NO for many reasons. I use it for briskets, ribs, pork butt and a chicken once in a while.

I don’t use it for anything above 300F as I don’t notice any “taste” advantage over my Weber Summit natural gas grill that can hold higher temps perfect, plus with its smoke box built in and soaking the wood chips in h2o for about 25mins beforehand, I believe achieves a better flavor when I cook prime 1 filets. I also like the built in sear burner as well. I can char a pizza crust when needed as well.

Of course, not everyone has two grills so they might need one that can multifunction, I get it.

I am trying to determine if my RT-590 had a 2 or 3 RPM auger motor. I received the smoker from a relative that had removed the defective motor, so I do not have a way to measure the RPMs. It does have the cast iron heat deflector. Did all the 590s that have the cast iron deflectors also have the 3RPM motors? The serial # is 210617 416. Is this the manufacture date code for June 17 21? Does anyone know the date when they were updated to the cast iron diffuser and 3 RPM motor?

I purchased my 590 approx 6 weeks ago. Yes it had all of the updates / improvements.
As mentioned previously I confirmed auger speed by looking inside of the empty hopper and timed one revolution of the auger, confirming 3 rpm.
I have done a few cooks at 200 and it held once it leveled off.

The grill does get up to temp very quickly but I continue to give it 30 mins to stabilize .
It’s a well built machine, my favorite RT grill so far.

Get on the ground, look up under the grill where the auger motor is.........it will be stamped/labeled at what RPM it is, mine clearly states 3 RPM and purchased in like May of 22?

Problem is the defective motor was thrown away, so no way to tell the RPM from that. Still trying to find out if the serial number indicated manufacture date so I can see if it was made after the upgrade to the 3 RPM motor.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back