Frustrated with rib smoke

Tomw

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bullseye
My wife loves fall off the bone baby backs. My first two times using the RT-700 they came out great. She was impressed. The last 3 times not so much. I use the 3-2-1 method and usually smoke at 225*. I decided to try adding more liquid into the stage two mix with the brown sugar, butter, honey and Tiger sauce. Last night I cranked the 2 hr wrapped stage up to 250* and added 1.75C of apple /pineapple juice mix. Double wrapped. When I unwrapped them I expected to see lots of bone showing and other signs they were falling off the bone. They seemed rather firm, not what I expected, not falling off the bone. I’ve had this result 3 times now using Costco ribs and ribs from a good butcher. The membrane is taken off and I refrigerate several hours after seasoning before starting the smoke and allow 20-30 min for them to warm up before smoking.
Any thoughts on what I’m doing wrong. I was thinking maybe the extra fluid I recently started adding isn’t having the desired impact of helping the meat to come out falling off the bone. I’ve watched many YouTube videos but it hasn’t given me any more insight.

Might just be the meat. Some are just tough, and people have been saying that lately ribs seem to be a poorer quality than they were a year ago.

We can all thank California for the tough pork. CA Proposition 12 went into effect 1 Jan and many suppliers are abiding by it or they can’t sell to California. Mandates much larger pens, meaning muscles get exercised (tough).

We can all thank California for the tough pork. CA Proposition 12 went into effect 1 Jan and many suppliers are abiding by it or they can’t sell to California. Mandates much larger pens, meaning muscles get exercised (tough).
I don't want possessed pork!
download.jpg

Forgive me, but being from the state with the largest pork production and having some friends in the industry, I must disagree.

I think you just need a little bit more cook time. I use that same method but I always heat the liquid up in the microwave before adding it and make sure the foil is sealed so it will create steam. If the ribs are thick I will add about 30 minutes to the two hour stage and don’t pull them until your almost afraid to pick them up because they may fall apart. Some here would say that’s to done but I cook the way I like not to competition standards.

it seems like 1.75 c of liquid is a lot. I just put a splash when I wrap. Maybe do one rack with less liquid and one with the 1.75.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WKMCD
Back