Bullseye Found this in the hopper today.

I had my 590 auger jam after 2 cooks. We had to dismantle and clear the jam. Service tech told me it was because I put the cover on too soon and grill was still warm. He told me to not put it on until the next morning . So far so good but I hold my breath every time I start it. 😬

It’s just a smoker grill. These are our toys. They must be fun. If you don’t like it, return it.

I had my 590 auger jam after 2 cooks. We had to dismantle and clear the jam. Service tech told me it was because I put the cover on too soon and grill was still warm. He told me to not put it on until the next morning . So far so good but I hold my breath every time I start it. 😬
I think they have a chart they use to make up excuses. Pick a part from columnA pick a condition from columnB, maybe throw in an accessory from columnC - and then blame the customer.

I've got a 1070 which is as waterproof as a colander. So if I grill my dinner, and let it get rained on overnight - then I won't get an auger jam. Sounds great! (except for the overflowing grease catch draining onto my paver patio, and a wet firepot with wet pellets)

The pellets have been in the hopper for 3 or 4 days the hopper was half full that is just the bottom of the hopper after I removed the intact pellets. I keep them in the garage and they had no moisture when I put them in the hopper.

I have given this unit a chance I've cooked 6 times on it from thighs to a butt and ribs, it performed well. My problem with it is that it rained while covered and now the auger is stuck. I can't see how every time it rains the thing may jam up is ok.

First post. Just received my 590 today after gifting a well worn traeger to a buddy. That said, I ordered my 590 after I thought my traeger auger gave up the ghost. I had the same issue as the OP on my traeger. Hopper pellets were fine…..until I got down to the joint where hopper meets auger tube. That was a mess of hard sawdust. My issue was rain leakage getting past the seal at that joint. May be same issue for the OP and would be sign of a bad seal during manufacturing.

Come back to us @Panthar; any updates? We’re all anxious to know whether you’ve found a solution yet.
Sorry to say I'm sending it back. Still haven't been able to break the auger free and can't trust this won't happen again the next time it rains.

Sorry to say I'm sending it back. Still haven't been able to break the auger free and can't trust this won't happen again the next time it rains.
Thanks for the update. Sorry it didn’t work out, but understandable that you decided to return it. Closing the loop like this has the potential to help someone else facing similar circumstances. Good luck with whatever you decide to replace it with.

Well a CS manager called back after It was set up for a refund. They are going to send out a new grill and im going to send this one back. Hoping this one works out.
That seems to be how far you have to be willing to go to get them to accept that it's their fault.
I was told 20% restocking fee - and I was going to do it too. Then someone higher got involved and made it all right. Once you're up and running you'll be fine.

Well a CS manager called back after It was set up for a refund. They are going to send out a new grill and im going to send this one back. Hoping this one works out.
That’s good to hear. It shouldn’t have to go that far for the company to make things right. I’m glad they are stepping up. From your earlier descriptions, I wouldn’t be surprised if there was a mechanical failure somewhere in the original grill. With a cover on, there shouldn’t be enough water getting in to cause the jam you experienced.

It also wouldn’t surprise me if the “CS manager” takes a peak at this forum once-in-a-while and didn’t like what he was seeing. :rolleyes:

That’s good to hear. It shouldn’t have to go that far for the company to make things right. I’m glad they are stepping up. From your earlier descriptions, I wouldn’t be surprised if there was a mechanical failure somewhere in the original grill. With a cover on, there shouldn’t be enough water getting in to cause the jam you experienced.

It also wouldn’t surprise me if the “CS manager” takes a peak at this forum once-in-a-while and didn’t like what he was seeing. :rolleyes:
I dont know about them checking this forum, but he did say he listened to the calls with customer support and didn't like what he was hearing from their end. I really do think this unit was defective.

Glad you got it sorted out. Great detective work. I bet you had a WHAT moment.

Been there, done that.

Sorry for your troubles but chit will happen.

I used vice grips originally on my stuck auger going back and forth until I got it loosened.

If you use a 1/2" drill in reverse, it should come out but the vice grips worked for me.

I think they have a chart they use to make up excuses. Pick a part from columnA pick a condition from columnB, maybe throw in an accessory from columnC - and then blame the customer.

I've got a 1070 which is as waterproof as a colander. So if I grill my dinner, and let it get rained on overnight - then I won't get an auger jam. Sounds great! (except for the overflowing grease catch draining onto my paver patio, and a wet firepot with wet pellets)
First they said the auger motor was defective. Then sent the wrong one. It is working fine now and is under cover but like I said I'm still nervous every time I start it up.

I don't have the 590 first and foremost but I do have the Bullseye and they have the same kind of vents. I have noticed(and my dad also since he has a Bullseye) that if it rains and I don't have it covered, it is bad news. A light rain is fine but if it is pouring, yeah, water will find it's way in. I'm not surprised that is happening with 590's with the new design. And I thought it was a great design b/c before that, it was just holes unless you spent the extra for the caps.

Maybe the vents need to go down further?

I don't cover my Bull a lot(mostly b/c the cover is a pain in the ass) and I've never gotten rain/water inside the grill.

The pellets have been in the hopper for 3 or 4 days the hopper was half full that is just the bottom of the hopper after I removed the intact pellets. I keep them in the garage and they had no moisture when I put them in the hopper.

I have given this unit a chance I've cooked 6 times on it from thighs to a butt and ribs, it performed well. My problem with it is that it rained while covered and now the auger is stuck. I can't see how every time it rains the thing may jam up is ok.
Experienced somewhat same problem. The auger is hard to take out and clean. A stiff wire ran in from the fire pit works just have to be patient.

Decided that the fire pit gets water in it and the pellets soak it up. Had my son, with a bullseye in Houston tell me BS. Then a yr later and a move to Jackson MI and he had same problem. We decided he try the wire bit to avoid removing auger. 1/2 hr was about what it took to clear and operate. Turn grill on an off to clear auger and if you have air compressor blow it out.

I put 1/4" weather stripping on under side of hopper lid and cover it religiously. Hasn't reoccurred so feel comfortable. I've now had the bullseye for 3 yrs and use it 3-4 times a week.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back