Fool proof turkey… need help!

Cal1319

Hey everyone… I have a 1070 and the family wants me to smoke a 13-15lb turkey for thanksgiving. I have been going over the forum and see lots of suggestions and ideas but I really need to look down a fool proof approach. Right now… I’m thinking to start with a 2 day wet brine… then one day to dry out in the fridge. For the smoke I was going to stick with 275. But I have seen others crank up the temp towards the end. What’s do you guys think is the best way to do this? Also how long should I plan on it taking to get to 165 for a 13-15lb bird? Thank you all for your help!

Your plan is very similar to what I do. I went 225 for most of the time until I start seeing internal temperatures of around 125 - 130, then I crank the pit temp up to 375 for finish and crisp up the skin.

Does this make a big difference?
I swear by it. It's not your Norman Rockwell turkey, but it cooks much more evenly and predictably than a whole bird with a big hole in the middle.

Getting a big turkey to lay flat after cutting out the backbone is sort of like doing CPR on a fat person, but once you get the crack, it lay down flat like any other poultry.

Does this make a big difference?
I was just writing what @Pacman just stated, and I also follow pretty much the same cook process he mentioned earlier, so I won’t repeat the same info. I will add that in my experience spatchcocked birds (turkey or chicken) cook faster than roasting an intact bird, so plan the start of the cook accordingly.

I was just writing what @Pacman just stated, and I also follow pretty much the same cook process he mentioned earlier, so I won’t repeat the same info. I will add that in my experience spatchcocked birds (turkey or chicken) cook faster than roasting an intact bird, so plan the start of the cook accordingly.
This was going to be my next question. Instead of 30 min per pound what do you think I should aim for? Also I see some people put a water tray in with the smoker… do you guys think that is needed? Thank you!

This was going to be my next question. Instead of 30 min per pound what do you think I should aim for? Also I see some people put a water tray in with the smoker… do you guys think that is needed? Thank you!
Fir starters, I think 30 min/pound for a conventional turkey is way too long. I would estimate 15-17 min/pound for a conventional cook and 10-12 min/pound for a spatchcock bird of approximately 14 pounds would be a good starting point for your planning.

Fir starters, I think 30 min/pound for a conventional turkey is way too long. I would estimate 15-17 min/pound for a conventional cook and 10-12 min/pound for a spatchcock bird of approximately 14 pounds would be a good starting point for your planning.
Awesome, thank you! One more question, would you do 1 or 2 day brine? I see everyone has their own theory about what is the best time for wet brine. Thank you!

Awesome, thank you! One more question, would you do 1 or 2 day brine? I see everyone has their own theory about what is the best time for wet brine. Thank you!
I have never done a two day brine. I would do an overnight brine, then early next morning let it dry uncovered in the fridge. But between choice A or B, I’d skip the two day brine. Here’s a turkey breast I did earlier this month, overnight brine and a short time the day of the cook uncovered in the fridge. It was outstanding.
FD02CEBC-F5F8-491B-BE5A-39CAC0CD4B35.jpeg

When doing something for the 1st time, and especially if you're having guests, try one ahead of time.
Sound advice. I did a couple of chickens following the same process I did for the big day turkey last year. I learned some things along the way for sure....and I did it far enough ahead that people weren't sick of poultry!

Yup, I agree. I'm not sure I like the orientation of the bird in the smoker, but full disclosure I didn't watch the whole video to see if he rotated (I have a very short attention span for Youtube). I like pointing the "toes towards the stack", but maybe that's just me. A drip pan and rack are also nice for capturing the juices for gravy. I also like shoving some aromatics like onion, garlic, celery, rosemary, and sometimes even sliced lemon under the spatchcocked bird. The compound butter idea is always great.

Thank you all very much for the sound advice! I’m hoping I don’t mess it up too bad… but with your advice I think it should be ok!

Hey everyone… I have a 1070 and the family wants me to smoke a 13-15lb turkey for thanksgiving. I have been going over the forum and see lots of suggestions and ideas but I really need to look down a fool proof approach. Right now… I’m thinking to start with a 2 day wet brine… then one day to dry out in the fridge. For the smoke I was going to stick with 275. But I have seen others crank up the temp towards the end. What’s do you guys think is the best way to do this? Also how long should I plan on it taking to get to 165 for a 13-15lb bird? Thank you all for your help!
Hey, I do this a bunch. It’s super easy. I spatchcock it (Google that), rub it with a binder (butter works fine) and your favorite rub, (sometimes I stuff some butter and herbs under the skin but you don’t have to) and then smoke it at 225 until it’s at 165 using a temp probe in the thickest part of the breast and thigh (the rule used to be 170-180 but that gets it drier than I like and it’s done at 165). It’s fast and honestly pretty foolproof. Happy to help. Here’s a pic from last year. I did mine on the Bull
121153BF-15D1-4878-8F7E-6F5715D35B66.jpeg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WKMCD
Back