Food probe port mod

RattleR

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
The food temp probe port has chewed, not burnt, a hole in my cover. Has anyone done a mod to remove the cover and insert a grommet or other. I also constantly get reminded it's hot, don't ask you already know. Think wet paint sign. šŸ˜± I know it seems a bit petty but it's not the best place.for a hole in your cover.

D5FB246E-A723-406A-B051-E03C59C7C31E.jpeg

The food temp probe port has chewed, not burnt, a hole in my cover. Has anyone done a mod to remove the cover and insert a grommet or other. I also constantly get reminded it's hot, don't ask you already know. Think wet paint sign. šŸ˜± I know it seems a bit petty but it's not the best place.for a hole in your cover.

View attachment 17141
Great idea! I'm sure someone here has a solution.

I have not had this problem and my Bull is turning 3 soon. Several years ago there were some mods for the probe port. I donā€™t know where they are but one of the solutions was a grommet and another was to bend or flatten the doorā€™s tab. Another interesting mod included removing the rivet and using a bolt and nut to secure a flat disk for it. Good luck.

I have not had this problem and my Bull is turning 3 soon. Several years ago there were some mods for the probe port. I donā€™t know where they are but one of the solutions was a grommet and another was to bend or flatten the doorā€™s tab. Another interesting mod included removing the rivet and using a bolt and nut to secure a flat disk for it. Good luck.
@SmokeZilla I know it is strange but the hole is literally the size and shape of the port. I am looking into the grommet idea. Thanks.

So, interestingly I had a rodent visit, the signs were on the drip tray. Possible that is where the hole came from. Anyways for the mod it looks like a 1" or 25mm grommet would do the trick. I guess it is also possible to cover the tang with SE high temperature RTV.

I have the rodent fix for inside the cook chamber on the way. Plug for the grease shoot and cap for the smoke stack.

There are a number of grill thermometer grommets available on Amazon but Iā€™ve never researched if they fit the recteqs.
I think I found one by Lava lock that looks like it will work. Also, looking closer at the hole, I am leaning more towards a rodent. I wish my wife's cat was not as old as she is, she was a rodent killer in her day and lost my Bull terrier who was a anything gets in the yard killer.šŸ˜„
018CFCB8-ACC0-47DE-98E2-AC97740415A4.jpeg

I think I found one by Lava lock that looks like it will work. Also, looking closer at the hole, I am leaning more towards a rodent. I wish my wife's cat was not as old as she is, she was a rodent killer in her day and lost my Bull terrier who was a anything gets in the yard killer.šŸ˜„
G

Great job on the detective work. Based on my experience and logic, your rodent theory seems the most likely root cause for your scenario. I donā€˜t know of any reports similar to yours but that just means you won the lottery for uniqueness. Perhaps the nut and bolt solution would allow you to tighten that opening following your cooks to keep your unwelcome pets from opening it and trying to eat their way out. Many of us have issues with the tight fit of the RT700/RT1250 cover as they didnā€™t chamfer the grillā€™s corners well leaving sharp pointed corners that cause rips. I personally had mine replaced by RT because of this issue at the 4 month point, but a quick grind with some 120 grit sandpaper can relieve you of most of the anxiety just in case you encounter this problem. Plugging the drip pan drain and some have recommended putting a ā€œsleeveā€ on the chimney may keep those pesky little critters from entering your Bull. Another recommendation is to make sure you use the aluminum foil liner trick for your drip bucket so you can throw away any residual drippings that also attract rodents and insects. It can be hard to clean out the bucketā€™s corners unless you have a good brush and if you think you neighbors can smell you great cooks from down the block, just think what the creatures of the woods are thinking when they see you fire it up, lol.

Good luck with your adventures.

Great job on the detective work. Based on my experience and logic, your rodent theory seems the most likely root cause for your scenario. I donā€˜t know of any reports similar to yours but that just means you won the lottery for uniqueness. Perhaps the nut and bolt solution would allow you to tighten that opening following your cooks to keep your unwelcome pets from opening it and trying to eat their way out. Many of us have issues with the tight fit of the RT700/RT1250 cover as they didnā€™t chamfer the grillā€™s corners well leaving sharp pointed corners that cause rips. I personally had mine replaced by RT because of this issue at the 4 month point, but a quick grind with some 120 grit sandpaper can relieve you of most of the anxiety just in case you encounter this problem. Plugging the drip pan drain and some have recommended putting a ā€œsleeveā€ on the chimney may keep those pesky little critters from entering your Bull. Another recommendation is to make sure you use the aluminum foil liner trick for your drip bucket so you can throw away any residual drippings that also attract rodents and insects. It can be hard to clean out the bucketā€™s corners unless you have a good brush and if you think you neighbors can smell you great cooks from down the block, just think what the creatures of the woods are thinking when they see you fire it up, lol.

Good luck with your adventures.
You have a great point about the smells, probably like a rifle shit on Kodiac, the bears know the sound and come to help. Found these from another post for the chimney and grease port.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/828336164/

Looks like you found a solution. I am a little on the cheap side so I take some heavy duty Reynolds Wrap, double it, wrap the stem/spout, and make a drain plug. I havenā€™t done anything about the smoke stack yet because I keep the cover on when not in use and it would be pretty challenging for rodents to climb in that way. IF pressed, I would probably use a piece of elastic, velcro or some wire, and collapse the cover around the chimney tight enough to prevent any intrusions. Let me know if that fixes your problem. As far as the coverā€™s aesthetics, they sell vinyl patches (usually in the sporting goods section of any store) that you can cut to sized and glue on. You will know it is there but most others wonā€™t. Good luck.

Looks like you found a solution. I am a little on the cheap side so I take some heavy duty Reynolds Wrap, double it, wrap the stem/spout, and make a drain plug. I havenā€™t done anything about the smoke stack yet because I keep the cover on when not in use and it would be pretty challenging for rodents to climb in that way. IF pressed, I would probably use a piece of elastic, velcro or some wire, and collapse the cover around the chimney tight enough to prevent any intrusions. Let me know if that fixes your problem. As far as the coverā€™s aesthetics, they sell vinyl patches (usually in the sporting goods section of any store) that you can cut to sized and glue on. You will know it is there but most others wonā€™t. Good luck.
You could always just get a cat LOL. Mine does a great job of keeping those pesky critters away. But of course thatā€™s a commitmentā€¦

I keep the cover on as well when not in use. I thought about some ideas if plugging things up but decided that my time and effort might be more than just going for a ~ $20.00 reusable solution. Of course my spouse reminds me afterward that these little pests eat rubber as well. šŸ˜” Time will tell. The Patch idea is great and will go check a few places. No one sees the cover but me or the wife, so like you say no worries. Thanks for the feed back.
You could always just get a cat LOL. Mine does a great job of keeping those pesky critters away. But of course thatā€™s a commitmentā€¦
We have a cat but she is pretty old now. She used to do the job rather well. Thanks.

I keep the cover on as well when not in use. I thought about some ideas if plugging things up but decided that my time and effort might be more than just going for a ~ $20.00 reusable solution. Of course my spouse reminds me afterward that these little pests eat rubber as well. šŸ˜” Time will tell. The Patch idea is great and will go check a few places. No one sees the cover but me or the wife, so like you say no worries. Thanks for the feed back.

We have a cat but she is pretty old now. She used to do the job rather well. Thanks.
Sounds like you (and you wife, co-pilot) have options and solutions. Thatā€™s the best way to live life. Good luck with your selection and keep us updated on your progress and successes. The best part of this forum is that we can learn from each other.

Have the best week ever!!!

View attachment 17141
Iā€™m +1yr in with my 590. I have the same set up and my cover is good. I donā€™t know if you could bend the tab down to keep it from rubbing. Just a thought. Seems the cover may be a little more tight than mine. Iā€™ll be interested to see what you find out. good luck!

Sounds like you (and you wife, co-pilot) have options and solutions. Thatā€™s the best way to live life. Good luck with your selection and keep us updated on your progress and successes. The best part of this forum is that we can learn from each other.

Have the best week ever!!!
We do and I will offer my impression if the grease port plug I got. It is plyable. Fits but a little loose. It is either injection molded or 3D printed. I would like it a little more rigid and I am sure the looseness is due to manufacturing tolerance of bot the RT and the plug. I took some 316 SS lock wire and made a make shift strap that uses the grease bucket hook to help keep it in place. Have not receive the smoke stack part yet.

What I so like about the rorum is all of the great ideas and support the members provide.

Happy cooking!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FISCH75
Back