Stampede Folding bracket size for front shelf with competition cart

@Maule Guy I may put some clear RTV on my bracket release trigger to prevent scrapping the cart. Measure real close to make sure the 12" brackets aren't too long before you purchase.
Thanks Charles. Should see the brackets today sometime. Just in time for another series of day long rains.

As far as cushioning the triggers on the brackets, I was thinking a couple short strips of the black gasket material used on the lid should work for that purpose. Thoughts?

Thanks Charles. Should see the brackets today sometime. Just in time for another series of day long rains.

As far as cushioning the triggers on the brackets, I was thinking a couple short strips of the black gasket material used on the lid should work for that purpose. Thoughts?
I would think gasket material should work too on the triggers. Good idea.. Good luck with your project. Can't wait to see pics.

@Maule Guy I may put some clear RTV on my bracket release trigger to prevent scrapping the cart. Measure real close to make sure the 12" brackets aren't too long before you purchase.
I had ordered the 10" and 12" brackets from Amazon.

I put the 12" up against the comp cart with the RT bolt that holds the comp cart to the grill centered on the top 12" bracket mounting hole and the bottom of the mounting bracket is almost exactly the length of the top vertical part of the comp cart. There are three holes in both the vertical and horizontal arms.

I can mount the Oak stair tread about 1" or 1.5" over the end of the horizontal arm using two holes. Looks like it should work well. The shelf will just hang down lower on the front of the card and the "triggers" are rounded so less likely to scar cart finish, but I am going to put a strip of the insulating felt at the contact point just for insurance.

Brackets I have:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M2UYPHS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Since I have extra length on the tread I am going to play w/ no stain and spar varnish and the two stains I have w/ the spar varnish on the cutoff piece(s)

Will share photos

Thanx for the input.

Last edited:

Wanting to make a shelf for the RT 700 with installed competition cart. Would the left over bottom shelf from the RT 700 wide leg stand kit that I didn’t use due to competition cart work? The shelf is 17x38.

@Tjs check the link two posts above yours. There are two other links in this thread if you want to check those.

Ok, finished up my Folding Shelf project using the 12" brackets in my post #45.

Drilling out the holes in the stainless to 25/64th with a hand drill was a serious PIA. Didn't help that I went brain dead and drilled the "top" horizontal holes by mistake the first time. Note to self: get more sleep.

I removed the sheet metal screws that happened to be right in the way of the vertical bracket arm. With the bracket in place it looked redundant in any case and the sheet metal never moved.

I used a 1" Red Oak stair tread cut to 32" which gives me about 1" overhang beyond the barrel on either end. Back of shelf is 2.5" from cart and front extends beyond the end of the top brackets by 2.5" .

I stained the tread w/ a Daly's oil based stain (Russian Oak) and put six coats of Daly's SeaFin Aquaspar Satin spar varnish on. The water based AquaSpar let me put two coats on per day.

Thanks to Charelsrshell for the tip on the hooks that I got from my local fishing supply store.

I also used small pads of left over FireBlack self adhesive gasket material to pad the triggers on the horizontal arms so they wouldn't scar the finish on the comp cart.

All in all pretty happy with the outcome.

New shelf 1.JPG
New shelf 2.JPG
New shelf 3.JPG

Last edited:
Ok, finished up my Folding Shelf project using the 12" brackets in my post #45.

Drilling out the holes in the stainless to 25/64th with a hand drill was a serious PIA. Didn't help that I went brain dead and drilled the "top" horizontal holes by mistake the first time. Note to self: get more sleep.

I removed the sheet metal screws that happened to be right in the way of the vertical bracket arm. With the bracket in place it looked redundant in any case and the sheet metal never moved.

I used a 1" Red Oak stair tread cut to 32" which gives me about 1" overhang beyond the barrel on either end. Back of shelf is 2.5" from cart and front extends beyond the end of the top brackets by 2.5" .

I stained the tread w/ a Daly's oil based stain (Russian Oak) and put six coats of Daly's SeaFin Aquaspar Satin spar varnish on. The water based AquaSpar let me put two coats on per day.

Thanks to Charelsrshell for the tip on the hooks that I got from my local fishing supply store.

I also used small pads of left over FireBlack self adhesive gasket material to pad the triggers on the horizontal arms so they wouldn't scar the finish on the comp cart.

All in all pretty happy with the outcome.

View attachment 8453View attachment 8454View attachment 8455
Looks awesome. Nice job Maule Guy

Wanting to make a shelf for the RT 700 with installed competition cart. Would the left over bottom shelf from the RT 700 wide leg stand kit that I didn’t use due to competition cart work? The shelf is 17x38.

I did that with the 590 and comp cart, works fine

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back