Foam pads under horns?

JGW

Military Veteran
Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Are we supposed to install the foam pads that come with the horns?

Yeah, so did I, but it's not shown or mentioned anywhere in the video or manual.

Thanks all. I knew they would be there for insulation, but since the manual, nor the videos show, or mention them, I thought I would ask.

I just did the initial burn in (400 for one hour). I put an iGrill2 ambient probe dead center in the grill (supposed to be accurate within +/- 1 degree), as well as a known accurate oven thermometer. Both of those were pretty close (as in...the same at 377), but the RTD is reading 400. Seems to be off about 5% there.

Currently, got it running at 250 and will check the temps again in an hour and adjust the offset on the grill if I need to. I don't really care how accurate it is for high temp cooks as long as it can hit 500, but I do want it to be pretty accurate a the lower smoking temps.

When I got my Bull a couple of months ago, my son handled the horn installation (no pun intended). He did not install any pads under the horns, and I have no idea where they went. I emailed Recteq this morning about a probe issue I'm having, and I took the opportunity to ask them if I could buy a new set of foam pads. Here is their response:

"As for the gasket that goes between the handle and lid, those are only needed on the 2500. The 2500 has a different shaped lid and the felt piece that goes between the two is to keep the handle from scratching the lid."

So I guess it is not really needed for the Bull. I would definitely install the pads if I had them, but I'm not going to sweat it by not having them. I haven't noticed the handle being too hot to touch so far (but I haven't done any very hot cooks).

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Back