FNG from Texas

How'd you cook the ribeyes?
Preheated the grill to 500 to get the GrillGrates up around 600 degrees then drop to around 460 or so. Started on the GrillGrates approximately 2 mins then turn (don't flip) for another 2 mins. Then you flip for 2 mins and turn again (to create the sear marks) for 2 mins. Take off GrillGrates and cook to desired temp on the regular grates if needed. I season with Heffers Dust right before I throw them on and they are absolutely phenomenal.

Preheated the grill to 500 to get the GrillGrates up around 600 degrees then drop to around 460 or so. Started on the GrillGrates approximately 2 mins then turn (don't flip) for another 2 mins. Then you flip for 2 mins and turn again (to create the sear marks) for 2 mins. Take off GrillGrates and cook to desired temp on the regular grates if needed. I season with Heffers Dust right before I throw them on and they are absolutely phenomenal.
Thank you - I'll have to try that. Sounds a lot better than cooking than what I was doing. My steaks were good but, again, a little too smoky.

I got it today - the UPS driver was almost more excited than I was! I opened the door and he yelled "Joel! You got your grill!" Nice guy. I dragged from the driveway and into our back/side yard to begin putting it together. I'm impressed with the size of the wheels and the quality of them on the comp cart. It had some scratches that penetrated the powdercoat - I plan on calling them tomorrow to see if they can recommend a touch-up paint. I had a moment of panic because they labeled all of the bolts and everything but never referred to them in the instructions. Then I realized the smaller ones were for the original stand.

I put it all together without much of a hitch until I tried to pair the wifi. The app store wanted my password to be able to download but it wasn't working. So I reset it about 4 times before I was able to get it to work. The router we have is a Velop system and I had set it to mix the 2.4 and 5 signals together. Separating it was a real butt because I couldn't remember the password. I had it send me a password to reset but my mail program wanted to reauthenticate with the apple store and the password was screwing up again. Somehow I got it to work and only punched my laptop twice. I think

I spent an hour and half just getting the router fixed to allow two separate signals.
After that, I did the seasoning. Learned a big lesson when I dumped the whole bag of pellets and covered everything in pellet dust. This is my life.

Wifi controlling works great. I did a couple ribeyes on it and they were full of flavor - much better than when I've cooked them on my weber gas grill. Maybe a little too smokey. I did the Meathead 225 degree thing until they hit 110, then I cranked it up, opened the lid, and put them on my GrillGrates (I had them over to the side and were in for whole cook. To lesson the smokiness, I think I'll go the Franklin way and cook them at 275 then sear them off. No pics because we were so hungry, we ate them before I could take a picture.

I have 4lbs of Dino Ribs that I plan on getting on early in the morning tomorrow. I'll report back with the results.
Congratulations. Let the fun begin! Definitely contact RT about the paint damage, they can send you touch-up paint.

Contacted RecTeq, told them it had a few scratches and the rep said "No problem, I send you out some paint." I also ordered a large shelf and a small shelf and it came to just over $100 so it qualified for the free shipping. I asked him if I did my vet discount and it dropped to under $100, would have to pay for shipping. He said "Nope, I'm taking care of it right now." You don't find customer service like this very often. I was literally on the phone for a minute or less. Amazing. Oh, I smoked my dino ribs and OH MY GAWD. I love this thing.
I have a large deck I can smoke on but, per the city, I can't build anything to cover it. I cleared some space on our side porch and made some ramps to roll it up and down from there. I had the idea to put some safeties on to keep it from rolling off to the sides after I rattle canned it.
IMG_1701.jpeg
IMG_1702.jpeg
IMG_1705.jpeg

Contacted RecTeq, told them it had a few scratches and the rep said "No problem, I send you out some paint." I also ordered a large shelf and a small shelf and it came to just over $100 so it qualified for the free shipping. I asked him if I did my vet discount and it dropped to under $100, would have to pay for shipping. He said "Nope, I'm taking care of it right now." You don't find customer service like this very often. I was literally on the phone for a minute or less. Amazing. Oh, I smoked my dino ribs and OH MY GAWD. I love this thing.
I have a large deck I can smoke on but, per the city, I can't build anything to cover it. I cleared some space on our side porch and made some ramps to roll it up and down from there. I had the idea to put some safeties on to keep it from rolling off to the sides after I rattle canned it.View attachment 6576View attachment 6577View attachment 6578
Good move going with the comp cart since you're moving it like that. The stock swivel casters would have failed quickly.

Good move going with the comp cart since you're moving it like that. The stock swivel casters would have failed quickly.
Thanks, I knew when I bought it that I didn't want to leave it out in the extreme heat we get, even with a cover on it. Plus, I wasn't sure how those casters would do on our wood decking. I was pleasantly surprised with the tires on the comp cart. In the picture they looked like hockey pucks with no traction.
I'm going to sand the top edge off of my ramp "guides" to try to keep them from chewing up the tires. I do wish there was a way to lock the right side or left side tires in one position to make it easer to control. In the end, the price was right (50% off) and the quality is pretty damn good.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back