Bull Flat top style griddle recommendations

Jcorbin121

Military Veteran
Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Anyone could recommend a flat top style griddle insert for the Rt-700? My son has a blackstone and I really like the way that cooks. I dont want or need another thing to store in the garage though. I saw the rectec griddle insert and it seems that'd be ok but would really like a larger version of that - wider to be more specific.

I looked and bought, looked and bought and bought again. Finally got a Blackstone myself.
To answer your question...I couldn't find anything that worked the way I wanted. That being said, the one RecTeq sells does ok. However, it warped and they gave me me money back. The Grill Grates are good, but have the holes. I finally gave up. You could have something made for it, but might be expensive if SS

Anyone could recommend a flat top style griddle insert for the Rt-700? My son has a blackstone and I really like the way that cooks. I dont want or need another thing to store in the garage though. I saw the rectec griddle insert and it seems that'd be ok but would really like a larger version of that - wider to be more specific.
What about something like this?
griddle-Q GQ230 100% Stainless Steel Professional Quality Griddle 25"x16"x6.5"

or this

32" x 17" Stainless Steel Comal Flat Top BBQ Cooking Griddle For Stove or Grill

Purchased the one for my 590. Thought it would be the cats ass. Only used twice PITA to try and wash in the sink. Blackstone 22" owner now

I’m not a fan of the steel griddles in a pellet grill-they are just too much trouble. Hard to move, store, clean, and cook on. Plus if you are cooking with the lid open, your grill is going to try and heat to max temperature. I bought the recteq round griddle for the Bullseye thinking I could get rid of my Blackstone, and I still have the Blackstone and would give the griddle away to anyone that is willing to pick it up.

Now there is one option that does address the size and storage problem-the Griddle plates from GrillGrates. I bought one of the 19.25 inch plates for use on the Bullseye, and I’m pretty happy with it. Also, at that length it’s the perfect size for the RT-700, RT-590, and the Wyldside.
6842ADA3-519E-4344-B4F8-B4CE680AE80F.jpeg

What works for you is the best.

I just sold my Camp Chef flat top grill and now a Grill Grate / Bullseye fan.

Probably not what you're looking for, because it is another piece to store, but I've put an EVO 30 in my outdoor kitchen. still a week or so until I get to use it, but it sure is pretty.

Purchased the one for my 590. Thought it would be the cats ass. Only used twice PITA to try and wash in the sink. Blackstone 22" owner

Probably not what you're looking for, because it is another piece to store, but I've put an EVO 30 in my outdoor kitchen. still a week or so until I get to use it, but it sure is pretty.
Wow that sure is - i'll bet its a dream to cook on!

After so many responses (Thank you all !!! ) I think i am just gonna accept the fact that I want a flat top that works well and I will have to have a separate device - so just gonna get the 28" Blackstone. More people than not ( across post here, Reddit x2 subs) said I tried this or that and I now own a blackstone Thanks again to all for your valued thoughts!

After so many responses (Thank you all !!! ) I think i am just gonna accept the fact that I want a flat top that works well and I will have to have a separate device - so just gonna get the 28" Blackstone. More people than not ( across post here, Reddit x2 subs) said I tried this or that and I now own a blackstone Thanks again to all for your valued thoughts!
Well, that saved me a bunch of keystrokes.

New RT-700 owner, also purchased the large flat griddle. Results from my first time using the griddle. Spent the suggested 4 hours to cure using grape seed oil. Next as suggested I grilled 2 lbs of bacon. The bacon turned out fine, not as crisp as I would have liked it but was plenty favorable. Now the clean up. I cannot find any information on the best type of scraping tool that I should use to completely clean all food particles off without scratching the grill surface. So I used a hard plastic spatula and it only did a so-so job. the other issue was how to pour the excess grease off of the griddle. the so called pour spout in the middle does not work at all. If you try using it, grease will spill over the sides of the grill, so the only alternative is to tilt the griddle and pour the grease out of one corner. The next issue was tending to the bacon with the grill top open. The system started feeding extra pellets into the firebox to try to get the heat level back up. this does not make much sense.
I will try to be a patient and use the griddle for other recipes with the hopes that i have not spend all of this money for a griddle that really does not add value to my RT-700.

There are options out there, like the Griddle Hack. I believe one of the other members here has one. But it's only about 17" wide and in my opinion for that money you could get a small Blackstone and have cash left over.
I have the Griddle Hack and am very happy with it. I paid $125 for it and it gets screaming hot if you want it to. It also has a grease drain that goes directly into the drain on my 590.

I cheated and just bought a nice cast iron skillet for my 700. I throw it on in the beginning of the cook then when I am ready to sear or whatever I am cooking gets pulled off to rest while the smoker gets up to higher temperatures then throw my meat on and away we go.

I enjoyed reading the many posts for this topic. I also wrestled with the Grill Grates (GG) vs. dedicated griddle dilemma. I have 2 variants of GG’s products. The one that is custom for the RT700 and perforated and the solid version that is used in professional kitchens. Each has its positive and negative aspects. I enjoy GGs for salmon and other seafood. It absolutely rocks for smoked burgers, and also did a decent job for reverse searing steaks and chicken when I don’t want to fire up the sear burner on my gasser that can hit 1100F. Beyond that, it had limited “griddle” use. Ultimately, I realized that the Bull is capable but for my needs GGs were not the most practical approach for a big breakfast cook (think 15 people before a football game). I also go camping and needed to “upgrade“ my capabilities with a travel solution. As a result, I purchased a Blackstone Tailgater. This combo griddle was the solution as it can be configured in many different ways. I have served over 40 smash burgers in a 15-20 minute window and change it up to fit most of my needs. One thing I would say is that the OEM regulator was lagging in performance so I modified it so I can hit 800 degrees in about 10 minutes (it can go hotter but I am afraid of warping the griddle). Just my thoughts on solving several challenges and keeping my tool footprint as small as possible.
Happy Grilling!

5A693624-9A3A-4151-941A-4C20D9DD3349.png

0180E311-9CEB-49F6-81AA-AE9BC2F67462.jpeg

5CD91558-0ED2-4B18-AA8D-F125D462CD36.jpeg

BF76676C-A495-4B04-B073-BD23167A33CA.jpeg

399E6B42-1B65-4B66-B3E7-1A10DE7810E8.jpeg

36EAAD23-80AB-4FDC-A9DE-831F78E8C4BC.jpeg

I enjoyed reading the many posts for this topic. I also wrestled with the Grill Grates (GG) vs. dedicated griddle dilemma. I have 2 variants of GG’s products. The one that is custom for the RT700 and perforated and the solid version that is used in professional kitchens. Each has its positive and negative aspects. I enjoy GGs for salmon and other seafood. It absolutely rocks for smoked burgers, and also did a decent job for reverse searing steaks and chicken when I don’t want to fire up the sear burner on my gasser that can hit 1100F. Beyond that, it had limited “griddle” use. Ultimately, I realized that the Bull is capable but for my needs GGs were not the most practical approach for a big breakfast cook (think 15 people before a football game). I also go camping and needed to “upgrade“ my capabilities with a travel solution. As a result, I purchased a Blackstone Tailgater. This combo griddle was the solution as it can be configured in many different ways. I have served over 40 smash burgers in a 15-20 minute window and change it up to fit most of my needs. One thing I would say is that the OEM regulator was lagging in performance so I modified it so I can hit 800 degrees in about 10 minutes (it can go hotter but I am afraid of warping the griddle). Just my thoughts on solving several challenges and keeping my tool footprint as small as possible.
Happy Grilling!

View attachment 17646

View attachment 17647

View attachment 17648

View attachment 17649

View attachment 17650

View attachment 17651
I have something very similiar to this. I got a Camp Chef Yukon 2 burner and also bought the griddle for it but my griddle goes over the 2 burners. I would love a stand alone blackstone or something similiar but I also wanted the ability to deep fry so I went with the 2 burner so I could take off the griddle and use a cast iron pot to deep fry which I've done several times and love it!

But if you are just looking to griddle only, blackstone does usually have deals this time of the year. I know I saw a 4 burner griddle at walmart for $197 which isn't bad at all.

I have something very similiar to this. I got a Camp Chef Yukon 2 burner and also bought the griddle for it but my griddle goes over the 2 burners. I would love a stand alone blackstone or something similiar but I also wanted the ability to deep fry so I went with the 2 burner so I could take off the griddle and use a cast iron pot to deep fry which I've done several times and love it!

But if you are just looking to griddle only, blackstone does usually have deals this time of the year. I know I saw a 4 burner griddle at walmart for $197 which isn't bad at all.
I have a 14” 2-burner Camp Chef and a pizza oven for it, and it’s an excellent combination. I use it mostly for canning and as a side burner for my RT-700. I don’t talk about it much but I wouldn’t want to be without it.

@BillsCamino just snagged one of those $197 Blackstone's-excellent price!

I have a 14” 2-burner Camp Chef and a pizza oven for it, and it’s an excellent combination. I use it mostly for canning and as a side burner for my RT-700. I don’t talk about it much but I wouldn’t want to be without it.

@BillsCamino just snagged one of those $197 Blackstone's-excellent price!
Hey Greg,

Did you get the pizza oven over both burners or just one? I've thought about getting that.

Hey Greg,

Did you get the pizza oven over both burners or just one? I've thought about getting that.
I have a 2-burner, but both my stove and the pizza oven for it have been discontinued. My oven is 24” wide-I think the model that replaced it is near 3’ wide.

FE5148CD-6705-4358-9070-19544842A137.jpeg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FISCH75
Back