Bull Flaking Paint and Rust on RT-700

I’m not sure if Recteq has sent you anything yet, but here’s what they sent me to fix my powder coat after my hopper fire. The paintbrush is roughly the size of a fat toothpick 🤣.

View attachment 15508
Lol, I have one of those also for some issues on my 340. They did offer to send more than one bottle to paint my flaked areas. I’m not sure how many it would take.

I just got a competition cart for my Bull, and last night I took off the front folding shelf as I prepared to transfer the smoker from the stock legs to the cart. When I removed the shelf, I found quite a bit of bubbling and flaking paint on the front that was previously blocked from my view. Also a fair amount of surface rust. There is also paint flaking off the bottom edge of the front section, as well as inside the right side at the bottom. I contacted RT and they have offered to send me some primer and a couple bottles of touch up paint or a rattle can of high temp paint. I'm curious what the masses would do to fix this. I know many of you will say it is just a grill and this is cosmetic only and it will still work fine, but I would rather keep it looking reasonably good. I'm am thinking of sandblasting 100% of the paint off this section of the smoker and painting it with a quality high temp paint, or seeing if I can find someone local to powdercoat it. Any recommendations? Oh, and the smoker is not even 1 year old.

View attachment 15503
I'd return it. The RT-700 is supposed to be stainless steel. Not supposed to rust.

I just got a competition cart for my Bull, and last night I took off the front folding shelf as I prepared to transfer the smoker from the stock legs to the cart. When I removed the shelf, I found quite a bit of bubbling and flaking paint on the front that was previously blocked from my view. Also a fair amount of surface rust. There is also paint flaking off the bottom edge of the front section, as well as inside the right side at the bottom. I contacted RT and they have offered to send me some primer and a couple bottles of touch up paint or a rattle can of high temp paint. I'm curious what the masses would do to fix this. I know many of you will say it is just a grill and this is cosmetic only and it will still work fine, but I would rather keep it looking reasonably good. I'm am thinking of sandblasting 100% of the paint off this section of the smoker and painting it with a quality high temp paint, or seeing if I can find someone local to powdercoat it. Any recommendations? Oh, and the smoker is not even 1 year old.

View attachment 15503
This is a real issue with Rectec products. My 590 started rusting 2 moths after I got it. So they have known about it for 5 years and not done anything about it.

Wow less than a year old that is absolutely terrible and the high price they charge for these smokers makes you wonder if it is worth all the trouble.

I'd return it. The RT-700 is supposed to be stainless steel. Not supposed to rust.
While parts of the grill are stainless steel, much of it is not. Their advertising certainly emphasizes the stainless, but I knew before I bought it that it is not 100% stainless. If done properly, powder coated steel can last a long time. I don't know if this was just a poor quality job or what, but I still love the smoker and I feel confident this piece is going to last a long time now that I'm having it powdercoated professionally.

Just to close the loop, I sandblasted the old coating off last weekend and had it powder coated this week. It came out awesome and I don‘t think I will have any more problems with this piece.

2042E7FD-EEA2-40EE-9C0A-51215010B88F.jpeg

CFCCD472-0C16-46CE-9FB1-412F31E0D4E8.jpeg

Wow you did a lot of work for a pellet grill that costs 1200 and didnt even last a year.
I purchased an RT-680, I believe back in 2017-2018. I was originally going to go with Traeger but at the time you could supposedly only use their pellets. So I started looking around at other pellet grills and came across Rectec. What drew me to them initially was the design. It looked bad ass with it being red and having the bull horns as handles. The other thing that drew me to it was the 40lb hopper! That was amazing! And then what really hit it home for me was at the time when you ordered it, you got the phone number to the owner for customer support. I was sold, so I ordered one.
I had for a year. During that year I smoked ribs, reverse seared end caps, smoked turkeys, grilled burgers, etc. I then "packed it up", by putting its cover on it and left it on my patio under an umbrella. At the time I lived in Northern California where 95% the time its sunny. But it was out of direct sunlight.
I went back a few months later and noticed paint flakes and rust towards the bottom right side of the barrel. I called up the number and spoke with the owner who was extremely friendly and helpful. I explained the issue to him and he said he'd send me out a can of rustoluem and a link to a video on how to repair it.
I thought that was a little odd. A DIY warranty repair, but I did. A few months later that spot came back. Now I'm not a sheet metal worker or painter so I did it the best I could. They also gave me an upgraded ceramic lid for my troubles. But it came back and other places started to bubble too. So I called them back and told them the same thing and the offered the same solution. Meanwhile I was having temperature issues, so they gave me a ceramic starter. I still had issues with it climbing to 500 degrees. When I first got it it would get up there pretty easily. I was constantly cleaning the grill so that there wasnt any issue of retaining heat or smoke. After several calls on a variet of issues, they offered to pick it and refund me. I should've done that but I didnt.
So now that I've moved and have given that smoker away I'm in the market for a new one. I was interested to see if the newer models were having similar issues and it looks like they are.
Ive decided at this point to try something different, a Masterbuilt Gravity series 800 Charcoal smoker. Its $700 and comes with a griddle and uses standard charcoal or hardwood chunks and appears to have the ease of use as a pellet smoker. I havent received it but I'm curious to see if I have the same paint flakeing/rust issues I had with the rectec.
In my opinion if something rusts the first year, it should be fully replaced and the owner should not have to DIY the fix.

Wow you did a lot of work for a pellet grill that costs 1200 and didnt even last a year.
I purchased an RT-680, I believe back in 2017-2018. I was originally going to go with Traeger but at the time you could supposedly only use their pellets. So I started looking around at other pellet grills and came across Rectec. What drew me to them initially was the design. It looked bad ass with it being red and having the bull horns as handles. The other thing that drew me to it was the 40lb hopper! That was amazing! And then what really hit it home for me was at the time when you ordered it, you got the phone number to the owner for customer support. I was sold, so I ordered one.
I had for a year. During that year I smoked ribs, reverse seared end caps, smoked turkeys, grilled burgers, etc. I then "packed it up", by putting its cover on it and left it on my patio under an umbrella. At the time I lived in Northern California where 95% the time its sunny. But it was out of direct sunlight.
I went back a few months later and noticed paint flakes and rust towards the bottom right side of the barrel. I called up the number and spoke with the owner who was extremely friendly and helpful. I explained the issue to him and he said he'd send me out a can of rustoluem and a link to a video on how to repair it.
I thought that was a little odd. A DIY warranty repair, but I did. A few months later that spot came back. Now I'm not a sheet metal worker or painter so I did it the best I could. They also gave me an upgraded ceramic lid for my troubles. But it came back and other places started to bubble too. So I called them back and told them the same thing and the offered the same solution. Meanwhile I was having temperature issues, so they gave me a ceramic starter. I still had issues with it climbing to 500 degrees. When I first got it it would get up there pretty easily. I was constantly cleaning the grill so that there wasnt any issue of retaining heat or smoke. After several calls on a variet of issues, they offered to pick it and refund me. I should've done that but I didnt.
So now that I've moved and have given that smoker away I'm in the market for a new one. I was interested to see if the newer models were having similar issues and it looks like they are.
Ive decided at this point to try something different, a Masterbuilt Gravity series 800 Charcoal smoker. Its $700 and comes with a griddle and uses standard charcoal or hardwood chunks and appears to have the ease of use as a pellet smoker. I havent received it but I'm curious to see if I have the same paint flakeing/rust issues I had with the rectec.
In my opinion if something rusts the first year, it should be fully replaced and the owner should not have to DIY the fix.

If I were in the market again it would not be a Recteq so understand your reasoning.

I have always been interested in the gravity feed charcoal grills as you are getting but when I looked at them I felt the thickness of the metal was not on par with a Recteq. Please, if you can post your unbiased opinion of the 800 after getting it and using, it would be appreciated.

Of course only time will tell if the 800 suits you but at least you are branching out and giving something else a spin. In the end, it is you that needs to be happy with your decision.

Good luck!!

If I were in the market again it would not be a Recteq so understand your reasoning.

I have always been interested in the gravity feed charcoal grills as you are getting but when I looked at them I felt the thickness of the metal was not on par with a Recteq. Please, if you can post your unbiased opinion of the 800 after getting it and using, it would be appreciated.

Of course only time will tell if the 800 suits you but at least you are branching out and giving something else a spin. In the end, it is you that needs to be happy with your decision.

Good luck!!
Yes the thickness is a bit of a concern however the 800 series it built a bit better than the 560. And again the rust is a concern to. But like you said only time will tell and I will try to update this thread with what I find.

Yes the thickness is a bit of a concern however the 800 series it built a bit better than the 560. And again the rust is a concern to. But like you said only time will tell and I will try to update this thread with what I find.

I see.. Now that you say that, I'm sure it was the 560 series I was looking at. Wish the 800 was local to check out as it seems only the 560 is. Please do share your thoughts! :) ..

I do prefer charcoal grilling over wood but the lazy side of me rests with pellets. Example - I will no longer cook beef on the Bull as I just don't like the wood smoke on beef and really tried many times LOL. I really did like it for reverse searing but now I do the low cook in my oven then sear on the Blackstone.

@dirkthedaring83

Ok, I think my wife is hunting you down right now.. I had to blame someone ;)

The more I looked at this with the features it has.. I had to have it :rolleyes:!!

The griddle on this model plus the 700 degree temps pretty much sold me... plus the option to add wood chunks along with charcoal just sounds too wild to not give this one a go. Found one on FB marketplace at a pretty decent discount over retail so I'm good with it.

I guess we can compare notes now LOL..

IMG_3876.jpeg

@dirkthedaring83

The more I looked at this with the features it has.. I had to have it :rolleyes:!!

The griddle on this model plus the 700 degree temps pretty much sold me... plus the option to add wood chunks along with charcoal just sounds too wild to not give this one a go. Found one on FB marketplace at a pretty decent discount over retail so I'm good with it.

View attachment 18422
Nice find! I’m really interested to hear what you think. I’ve been eyeballing the 800 as an option for more pronounced smoke with similar effort to a pellet grill.

Nice find! I’m really interested to hear what you think. I’ve been eyeballing the 800 as an option for more pronounced smoke with similar effort to a pellet grill.

There are so many features that just drew me into this unit and now looking at some mods already LOL..

Will absolutely come back with my thoughts!

@dirkthedaring83

View attachment 18422
Almost got one couple years ago before the Recteq. Can't wait to read your reviews.

@dirkthedaring83

View attachment 18422
LOL! Nice find! Thats Awsome! Yes lets compare! Mine doesnt come until tomorrow. I was really intrigued by the features. Sounds pretty cool! I watched a few videos from this guy that eventually sold me on it. Oh and did you know you can purchase mods for it? Check out the videos below.

LOL! Nice find! Thats Awsome! Yes lets compare! Mine doesnt come until tomorrow. I was really intrigued by the features. Sounds pretty cool! I watched a few videos from this guy that eventually sold me on it. Oh and did you know you can purchase mods for it? Check out the videos below.

I have been watching a ton of videos but I didn't see those yet so thanks for posting those. Most of the ones I have been watching are from Anderson's Smoke Show.

I have not opened it yet as it was kinda unplanned and by the time we got home yesterday it was already getting late. I'm hoping to get it together today but not sure when I will be able to start cooking. Should be able to get the burn in done at least.

We started with Tovala and get our first delivery tomorrow for 4 days of dinners so maybe I'll hold a night for the weekend on those and use the MB during the week at least once :).

I was looking at the mods from LSS though. A bit pricy and really unsure if needed or what is essential at the moment. I do like the ability to put a pan underneath but I can also use a pan with a rack in it which is what I did with the Recteq.

Anyway.. I am excited to see how reverse searing a Ribeye on this goes as one of my tests since that is what I stopped doing on the Bull due to the flavor profile. I just didn't how it came out but it was not bad more of a preference over time I just stepped away from that.

One thing I learned is the 800 from Costco apparently does not come with a griddle and some other minor changes like the wheels. I learned that you can get the griddle for the 1050 and the 800 if you wanted to. Kinda wish I realized that before I got the 800 as I might have went for the 1050 but with what I paid for the 800 I'm ok with it for now. I don't think I really need the space with all the grills I have LOL. We are down to the 2 of is most times but do ribs so hoping there is enough room on the 800 for that.

We'll see!! Keep us posted on yours!

View attachment 15503
I am curious why your are going to all the trouble and expense when you state that you bought a competition cart?

View attachment 15503
So what ever happened to the comp cart?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back