Flagship 1100: loud bang when heating up

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burri

Grill(s) owned
  1. Flagship 1100
My new Flagship 1100 seems to be working well, all except one thing...

When the temp rises, to around 300-400 degrees, there is a loud bang. Everything else seems to be working just fine, and even after the bang, I've just kept smoking and have cooked on it now close to 10 times with no apparent issues. It happens at around temp 295 in the video:
Video

I've reached out to RT, provided pics/video, and they have said they are looking into what it could be, and will come up with solution.
Seems to me its the drip pan (warp or imperfection in it that pops when it heats up), and I've asked them to send one as a replacement to test. I have checked everything else and cannot find anything warped, loose, or something that would do this.

Any thoughts on what this could be?

This happens to mine as well, its the drip pan "popping" from the heat. For mine, its incredibly slight but makes a pretty significant sound. Doesn't affect mine at all. Also seems to happen less and less the more I use my 590.

Thanks for chiming in. Yea, figured it had to be the drip pan. Going to continue to push for a new one.

This happens to mine as well, its the drip pan "popping" from the heat. For mine, its incredibly slight but makes a pretty significant sound. Doesn't affect mine at all. Also seems to happen less and less the more I use my 590.

Next time I have it cleaned up so no grease really falling into the barrel or on on the deflector, I guess I can run it w/o the drip pan for a real test?

Next time I have it cleaned up so no grease really falling into the barrel or on on the deflector, I guess I can run it w/o the drip pan for a real test?
Sounds like next thing to do. It would definitely confirm your suspicion

Well, so far RT has sent me a drip pan for what I believe is the BB1000 (not really sure) and a steel deflector for the RT700.
Photo of shipped parts
Not sure why they cannot get the part numbers figured out and ship the correct part, but hopefully third time is the charm. sigh

Last edited:
Well, so far RT has sent me a drip pan for what I believe is the BB1000 (not really sure) and a steel deflector for the RT700.
Photo of shipped parts
Not sure why they cannot get the part numbers figured out and ship the correct part, but hopefully third time is the charm. sigh
That’s odd looking to me.

I’ve got a 700 and my deflector has the bottom front notch like the one in your picture but mine is pretty thick & sturdy. That one has the two ripples (?) that supposed to keep it from warping. And That drip pan just doesn’t look right. I’m not seeing the “bottom lip” for the end that goes into the grease trough…assuming the 1100 is built very similar to the 700.

🤷🏼‍♂️

Its just the picture angle. The drip pans have the semi circle on the angled lip that fits in the grease trough.
The 1100 seems very solidly built to me...not counting the drip pan warping under heat.
Just hope they can get their part #s correct and send me the correct replacement.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back