First Wings on the Bullseye

ghuns

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
0-400 wings w/Meat Church Honey Hog rub...

GOoKkD3l.jpg

This was my first go around with cooking wings this way and as you can see, they got a little extra "char". I was stuck in my car on the phone with XM radio trying to my service restored and they went about 5 minutes too long.

I set the grill for 400 and grabbed a beverage. I flipped them at the 20 minute mark and pulled them at 40 minutes. Shoulda pulled them at 35. But after a shake with some butter and Franks, they were still great. No baking power, no cornstarch, just a little olive oil and the rub. Skin varied from crispy to extra crispy and the meat wasn't dried out at all.

I can't order steak in a restaurant cause I always feel like I coulda done it better at home. Now I've ruined going out for wings too.:rolleyes:

Still looks good, and my wife really likes that Honey Hog on pork. So is the idea that you pull them when the grill reaches 400* or at the 35 minute mark?

Still looks good, and my wife really likes that Honey Hog on pork. So is the idea that you pull them when the grill reaches 400* or at the 35 minute mark?
Put them on a cold grill first, then start the grill up with temp set at 400. Flip them halfway through. On a Bullseye, they should take less than 40 minutes. On a Bull I've heard it takes about an hour.

I think the theory is they get the initial blast of smoke from start up and you crisp up the skin with the higher temp.

Could you smoke these on low for about 30 minutes then zap em with 450 for about 15?

I'm simply guessing on times, I'm a new owner of the Bullseye

Just read this

wings.
PRINT

Smoked Chicken Wings​

YIELD
12-48 Wings
AUTHOR
Erick Erickson
COOK TIME
1 H & 10 M
TOTAL TIME
1 H & 10 M
Baking powder dries out the skin and the heat change then helps crisp the skin so the wing falls apart with a crunchy skin instead of soggy, chewy skin.

INGREDIENTS​

• 12-48 wings, frozen and pre-brined or fresh wings and use my brine.
  • 1 tbs baking powder per 24 wings
  • 1 tbs rub per 12 wings
  • Optional sauce
Brine
  • 2 cups boiling water
  • 1/2 cup light brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup kosher salt
  • 1 tbs hot sauce
  • Enough ice to cool water
  • 2 Miller Lites (don't use Bud Light for this, seriously) or favorite beer

INSTRUCTIONS​

Brine
  1. To make the brine, add the salt, sugar, and hot sauce to a large enough container to hold all your wings.
  2. Bring the water to boil and then pour into mixture.
  3. Stir until the salt and sugar are dissolved. Add enough ice to bring the liquid to room temperature. Add the beer. Add the wings. Brine for at least four hours or up to eight.
  4. After time in the brine, remove the wings and dry thoroughly.
Smoking the Wings
  1. Heat smoker to 250ºF.
  2. Dry off the chicken wings.
  3. Combine the baking power and rub.
  4. Sprinkle over the chicken wings and rub in to adhere on all sides.
  5. Place on the smoker, thick skin side down for 30 minutes.
  6. Increase temperature to 450ºF and flip chicken skin side up. Cook another 30 minutes. Remove and eat unless using sauce. Internal temp must be above 185º and preferably will be at 205ºF, which makes the connective tissue fall apart so the meat can be sucked off the bones.
  7. If using sauce, remove the wings to a large bowl and toss lightly with sauce. Put back on smoker for 10 minutes.

NOTES:​

Lanes Spellbound and Sweetheat rubs are staples in my house.

The Four41South Game Changer rub really is a fantastic rub to try.

If you want some brilliant heat, I use Derek Wolf's Nashville Hot Chicken Rub to make spicy wings without sauce.

Pro tip: I use Springer Mountain Farms pre-brined frozen chicken wings and rub them while frozen and put them straight onto to the smoker. This method of 250ºF for 30 minutes and 450ºF for 30 minutes works perfectly with them.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back