Stampede First try at 3-2-1 Ribs

The don't like rap, they do much better with classic rock, trust me on this one... 🎸🎸🎸
C'mon man, rap and smoke.
chronic-snoop.jpg

Last edited:
Not all BB ribs are the same, sometimes you get a rack that takes longer or just isn't as tender. Also, you have very little pull back off the bone.

I've done 321 and straight through unwrapped, both ways turn out really good.

I did these 321 and the were very tender. Notice the meat pull back off the bone.

View attachment 13806

If you have quality ribs, no need to foil. IMHO, foiling "not so good" ribs, seemed to help.
Kinda hard to hold the apple cider if not wrapped in aluminum.

I’ve run I to the problem too of 225 not being 225. I usually dial up to at least 230 if not 235, with a MEATER thermometer so I can actually get the ambient temp of the grill surface. 225 on the dial is not 225 on the MEATER. If I am not using the MEATER, I usually do an extra hour or so, anywhere in the 321 to get rid of the chewy. Also, I use butcher paper instead of foil, it holds the moisture but breaths better. Some people swear by foil, I prefer butcher paper.
Keep playing with it and try a few different versions, a little higher temp, a little longer than 321, a different wrap, it all will change it a little.
The great thing is with a Bull, way less prep time getting it warmed up. My only complaint is that it doesn’t give the same quality of smoke as a lump charcoal/ chunk of hardwood.

Try Bill Gillespie’s method. You can find it on You tube. 2.5 hours on the grill and 1 hour wrapped at 250°-275° The whole cook. This is main method I use now on my 590 and constantly get feedback that the ribs are best people have had.
They are fall off the bone tender and to the general public this what they want. If you want a crowd pleaser Bill’s recipe and method will do.
If I were cooking ribs for myself, I’d cook them unwrapped on my WSM, though.

Have fun experimenting!

Not all BB ribs are the same, sometimes you get a rack that takes longer or just isn't as tender. Also, you have very little pull back off the bone.

I've done 321 and straight through unwrapped, both ways turn out really good.

I did these 321 and the were very tender. Notice the meat pull back off the bone.

View attachment 13806
Agree, I see no pull-back at all, so they simply weren't quite ready.

View attachment 13801

They were delicious! Only problem is i thought they were a little chewy, like they didn't break down enough. I did a 3-2-1 at 225 the entire time. I'm going to do some testing to see if my grill is actually hitting 225.. otherwise i'm not sure what more to do other then cook longer? wdyt?

-Shay
I think you answered your own question in your last sentence. Cook them until they pass the bend test AND you get some pull-back on the bones.

I’ve done the 3-2-1 method at 225-250 and it’s always been too much as they fall off the bone too much. The 2 hr. wrap will usually make them fall off the bone and can’t ever get the 1 hr. Unwrap. I’ll stick with unwrapped until they pass the bend test. Sauce the last hour or so if you like that.

View attachment 13801

They were delicious! Only problem is i thought they were a little chewy, like they didn't break down enough. I did a 3-2-1 at 225 the entire time. I'm going to do some testing to see if my grill is actually hitting 225.. otherwise i'm not sure what more to do other then cook longer? wdyt?

-Shay
To ask the obvious, which wasn’t to me when I started, did you remove the membrane?

I have been having problems with my new 700 and the 3-2-1 and 2-2-1 at 225F for baby backs. I'm coming from a vertical electric smoker where I had to cut the ribs in half. I use to basically have to do nothing except for time and not test temp or the bend test. The truth is by the first step, the bones were showing and already tender. After the wrap they were falling apart and were hard to put back on for the final hour. By the end, I would have liked them a tiny bit firmer after the hour.

I bought my 700 in the beginning of the year and have tried both St. Louis and Baby Back ribs a few times. They were tasty, but not fall off the bone and tender. I did the methods at 225F. The last time I finally realized that the first step did not pass the bend method. They should have been cooked more. Now for my question.

The whole 3(2), 2, 1 method is based on time. It used to work for me. Now I know my old Masterbuilt smoker temp was probably running hotter than what it said. But with this method, I have seen to use 225 and 250 temp. So for my next try, should I bump up the temp to 250F or should I keep it at 225F and just do the bend test and foil until it passes?

On a side note. I did prime rib on Xmas and it was the best. I went from oven, to weber and this year the 700 was perfection.

Last edited:
I can only tell you what works for me.
1st stage is to 155-165ish
2nd, double wrap with butter, honey, and brown sugar till about 190+. Open and check for mostly probe tender.
3rdish, Rewrap if needed, if not remove foil, continue to cook till it's as done as I care for, probe tender and passes the bend test. Baste with sauce, cook for another 20ish min.

Many don't bother with the foil. When I've done it that way I just continue step 1 till probe tender/bend test says they are done, then baste, wait 20-30, remove. I do spritz occasionally during step 1.

I cook ribs at 225, bumping it up to 250 or even 275 during a cook to speed things up if I need to.

I've switched over from the 3-2-1 method to the Mad Scientist BBQ method (haven't tried the tallow part yet though) and haven't looked back. 4 hours @ 225, I spray every half hour with apple cider vinegar once it starts to dry out. Then 1 hour @275 to render the fat and break down the collagen even more and get good pullback. Starts caramelizing those sugars in your rub too if you're not just doing SPG (these are Meat Church Honey Hog rub). Pull and wrap with butcher paper for another 30 minutes or so, at 275 still, or until they are done, some where in the area of 207-208 or until they pass the bend test. I have done these twice on the 590 since I got it and it produced excellent results. Great smoke flavor, extremely tender, but not mush. Perfect bite (not fall) off the bone ribs. In my opinion, no sauce required, and I am a huge sauce guy! (4-1-0.5 method video for Credit: Mad Scientist BBQ Ribs).

I think this or 225 till its done are both great and produce better BBQ than wrapping for a full 2 hrs with the standard 3-2-1 method. Works for me, YMMV of course.

Attachments

• ribs.JPG
    ribs.JPG
    92.9 KB · Views: 77

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back