First Time Using Bullseye

rlb2444

When starting the Bullseye does it matter if the lid is up or down. My new one had a hard time igniting the fire box until I opened the top. I searched instructions but didn't find anything on the subject. Perhaps I just overlooked it.

Thanks for your input.

Bob

When starting the Bullseye does it matter if the lid is up or down. My new one had a hard time igniting the fire box until I opened the top. I searched instructions but didn't find anything on the subject. Perhaps I just overlooked it.

Thanks for your input.

Bob
Did you prime the fire pot first?

Thank you for the response. If priming includes putting a handful of pellets in the fire pot I did prime it. I closed the lid and although I didn't time it I think it was at least 15 minutes before I heard the burner come on. I had the temp set at 225F. Perhaps impatience was my problem?

Thank you for the response. If priming includes putting a handful of pellets in the fire pot I did prime it. I closed the lid and although I didn't time it I think it was at least 15 minutes before I heard the burner come on. I had the temp set at 225F. Perhaps impatience was my problem?
Try it a few more times. It may be the igniter is not positioned properly. All sounds good and welcome!

Don’t worry so much about your first start up. The auger tube has to fill up as well so it’s not like a normal start.
I agree with @C. Keeper that your igniter rod may or may not be in the correct position. The first thing I did to my 380 when I got it was to adjust the igniter rod. It was about 1/8” recessed and I adjusted it to flush. I had troubles with consistent starts on my 700 until I adjusted the igniter rod. Since then start ups at extremely consistent.
See how it goes on your next start up then adjust if necessary.
Good luck.

I prime my firepot every time before I start up for my bullseye. I do not do that on my bull but everytime on the bullseye. Bullseye starts up a lot faster with a primed firepot. You should be around 500 degrees after 15 minutes.

I prime my firepot every time before I start up for my bullseye. I do not do that on my bull but everytime on the bullseye. Bullseye starts up a lot faster with a primed firepot. You should be around 500 degrees after 15 minutes.
How come? It selfs prime. I have too because I always vacuum my Bullseye before I start her up.

Maybe they fixed it with later models but I got the 3rd wave release of the Bullseye and if I don't prime the pot, it would take 20 to 30 to come up to temp. The time is cut if half if I prime the pot.

I upgraded the heat deflector to one from CT Custom Frabractions with you can take the middle piece out without taking off the whole deflector which makes it fast and easy to scoop out ash and then add more pellets.

Another thing, 95% or more of the time I've just grilling with my Bullseye. I do smoke things on it from time and time but since I have the Bull, I just use the Bull mostly for smoking the bullseye for grilling. I'm usually around around 500 for grilling so unless I bring down to 200 before shutting off, the pot won't be primed much at all. And I have tried that with letting the grill cool off to low but even then, it still would be slower to start up so time wise, I've found it best to just prime the pot before each cook. My dad has the Bullseye also and does the same thing. I don't know if this is a common practice with most users but that's what I do and my dad does.

Thanks for your input.

Bob
I clean my 590 out after every other cook unless it’s incredibly greasy then it’s done the next day. I noticed that if I got too carried away with the shop vac and sucked too many pellets out of the pot and auger tube that it did take a little longer to fire. I assume that‘s because I took away the fuel to get it started. Just my 2 cents.

Thank you....I just vacuumed out my pot and there were no more than a dozen assorted size pellets in the pot. I put them back but I think I should add a handful of fresh pellets to the pot before next use. Does that make sense?

Thank you....I just vacuumed out my pot and there were no more than a dozen assorted size pellets in the pot. I put them back but I think I should add a handful of fresh pellets to the pot before next use. Does that make sense?
Yes, it does make sense. You need a cup or so of pellets in the fire pot for the grill to fire up properly.

Thanks for your input.

Bob
I had this problem with mine too. I found that starting it up with the lid open always works. I usually run it for about 5min with the lid open, and then close it and let it get up to temp. I don’t think there is enough ventilation for the startup to effectively get the fire going.

Thanks for your input.

Bob
Mine starts fine with no prime. I only prime after cleaning, which only every 4-5 cooks.

Thanks to everyone for their help. I did my second roast last night and it worked perfectly. I added a handful of pellets in the pot and smoke started coming out in about a minute. Temp started rising in 2-3 more. My wife wanted a ribeye and I wanted salmon. I knew it would be a challenge but I took it on. I had the temp set on 300f. I put the thermometer in the steak and by using a Thermapen I concluded the salmon was 17 degrees ahead of the steak. I removed the salmon when the steak hit 120 and luckily the salmon temp was perfect. I then put it on RIOT after removing the steak. Took a good ten minutes for the temp to rise to 650F. I then put the steak back on and flipped it every minute until it his 140F. I would judge the smoke level to be medium which is fine. Both were delicious. I hope I get some use out of my year old all stainless Weber Genesis??

I’ve been having the 380 for two years now. The best way I find to start it is open the lid and set the temp to 400°. when you start seeing a little smoke close the lid and set it to the degrees you want it for your cook. Oh, by the way I vacuum out the fire pot after every four or five cooks and add only a small handful back in to prime it.

I’ve been having the 380 for two years now. The best way I find to start it is open the lid and set the temp to 400°. when you start seeing a little smoke close the lid and set it to the degrees you want it for your cook. Oh, by the way I vacuum out the fire pot after every four or five cooks and add only a small handful back in to prime it.
That's a good tip. I'm going to try it...Thank you.

That's a good tip. I'm going to try it...Thank you.
I do the same thing. I set the temperature at 400 until I see smoke. Mu bullseye increases in temperature fast so I usually go to 200 until I am ready to put the meat on. My bullseye goes from 200 to 400 in a few minutes. The only other comment is that when new, the temperature swings are large. After a few cooks they steadied out. On the negative, set at 200 I get between 225/250.

The biggest problem I see with startup issues is that the igniter rod is not out enough to reliably make contact with pellets. Unfortunately, it seems factory QC is not the best and these are often being shipped with the rod recessed in the fire pot. The rod has to be able to touch pellets to light.

I would recommend looking straight down in your fire pot, if you don’t see the tip of the igniter sticking out in the pot, it probably needs to be pulled out. I have mine out about 1/16”. Lights perfect everytime at any temp within 2-3 mins. Mine had the same issue you speak of when it arrived. Quick fix and haven’t had a problem since.

Look up igniter rod replacement and there is a video that shows you the steps to access the rod. Easy, 10 min task.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Back