First Time Smoking a Wagyu Brisket

Picked up an 18 lb wagyu brisket from Snake River Farms to smoke on the 340 next weekend. Looks like it’ll fit 😊.

Never smoked a wagyu brisket before. Any tips?

All I know is next brisket I trim, I’m going to try making tallow with the trimmings. Enjoy the cook

I take the trimmings and put them in a foil pan, then place in 1250 with the Brisket. Once complete I pour the smoked tallow into a container for future use and discard the remaining solids.

All I know is next brisket I trim, I’m going to try making tallow with the trimmings. Enjoy the cook
I’m reading a lot about tallow. I’m going to use your method next brisket cook. As for the original question I don’t have an answer. I am interested in your findings. Keep us posted!!!

I take the trimmings and put them in a foil pan, then place in 1250 with the Brisket. Once complete I pour the smoked tallow into a container for future use and discard the remaining solids.
Edit. New to quoting. Meant to do two quotes. Lol.

I’m reading a lot about tallow. I’m going to use your method next brisket cook. As for the original question I don’t have an answer. I am interested in your findings. Keep us posted!!!
Top bbq place this year in Texas Monthly, Goldees, uses tallow on all of their briskets, like a lot of it.

And let’s be honest, the best bbq as decided by Texas Monthly for their annual Top 50, is going to arguably be the best brisket in the world. So if they are doing it, must be right.

Picked up an 18 lb wagyu brisket from Snake River Farms to smoke on the 340 next weekend. Looks like it’ll fit 😊.

18LB will take plenty of time. Mine usually run in the 14LB range. I start mine in the smoker the night before (225 for entire cook), wrap the next morning when meat temp is in the 160-170 range, then back on smoker until 195-200 ish. this is when I start checking with therma pen for tenderness. When therma pen encounters little to no resistance remove and wrap in blanket or towels and let rest for a least 1 hour.

I've done a SRF black label around 15 pounds prior to trimming. It seemed to finish a bit faster than others I've done. I think I was a bit too aggressive on trimming and would dial that back a bit next time. I cooked starting the night prior at 225 degrees. It was ready to wrap in pink butcher paper when I woke up. Don't rush the final testing for doneness. Better to go a bit longer and be certain. The finished product was wrapped in a cooler for 3-4 hours before serving.

Inject if possible.
Put it on the pit cold, directly from fridge to pit.
Smoke at 180 for an hour and then change temp to 225.
Wait 3 hours before spritzing with water and then spritz every hour and a half.
Wrap with foil at 160.

Harry Soo slowly pours a beef broth reduction (concentrated beef broth) over the exposed side of the flat immediately after removing from the pit. I did this in his class and I could see the broth absorbing into the flat. You only need about a cup of it (hot). You can get Knorr brand concentrate at Smart & Final, Amazon, etc., or just reduce it from common broth.

I did this on my last brisket. The flat was very moist all the way to the tip.

Oh, and place something under the middle of the brisket when you put it on the smoker to cause the middle to crown and let the juices run off, in order to facilitate bark forming. A big chunk of smoking wood works. Wet juices puddling in the middle of the brisket prevent bark forming in the first part of the cook.

sliced brisket2.jpg
sliced brisket5.jpg

Harry Soo slowly pours a beef broth reduction (concentrated beef broth) over the exposed side of the flat immediately after removing from the pit. I did this in his class and I could see the broth absorbing into the flat. You only need about a cup of it (hot). You can get Knorr brand concentrate at Smart & Final, Amazon, etc., or just reduce it from common broth.

I did this on my last brisket. The flat was very moist all the way to the tip.

Oh, and place something under the middle of the brisket when you put it on the smoker to cause the middle to crown and let the juices run off, in order to facilitate bark forming. A big chunk of smoking wood works. Wet juices puddling in the middle of the brisket prevent bark forming in the first part of the cook.

View attachment 17591View attachment 17592
Thanks - do you mean right before letting it rest?

Ok. Put it on the pit at 7:00 last nite for a couple hours at 180 and bumped it up to 225. Woke up at 4:00 or so and it was at 170 and looked great. Wrapped and pulled it at about 8:30 with an internal around 208-209. In the cooler resting until tonite. I had injected before and tried the condensed beef broth when I pulled it.

Will post an update tonite.
7A594A0F-779E-4336-B917-B8F368CEB081.jpeg
Thanks for all the suggestions.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back