First time butt on Rec Teq

The one thing I will add is that, it my experience, the butt is done when it is probe tender... That can be at 195° or 205° or somewhere in the middle, or perhaps something else entirely. I start probing when I get a temp probe notification of 195° IT. Now I understand that what ’probe tender’ means comes with experience also. Better to err on the safe (+temp) side with low and slow cooks while discovering what works best for your cooks.

I know the general rule of thumb is one hour to 1 1/2 hours per pound. But cooking at that temperature, is it around the same time or are you up in a two hour range per pound?
You have to find what works for you. I see it all as 1 big experiment. I'm always experimenting with temps, which leads to different times. Also always trying new rubs and sauces.

So I have cooked plenty of pork butts on my weber smoky mountain. Have always turned out great. Now that I have gotten a recteq, I am still new to it. I have done ribs, chicken thighs, wings and they’ve all turned out good. Want to do the pork butt and have a question.

I still want to get a good smoky flavor. We all know the pellet smokers deliver a lot lighter smoke flavor. Can I use the extreme smoke setting for the first two hours or so, or do I need to go out and buy a propane torch and smoke tube and do it that way?
I use a smoke tube most of the time with the reason being I know I will get a great amount of smoke. If I am using apple pellets I will use 2 tubes. The apple is so subtle I want to make sure it is infused in the meat. I don’t use a tube when I’m doing a papa Murphy’s pizza but I do start off at 200 to give them a little kiss of smoke And then I bounce it up to cooking temp. I use lumberjack pellets and they seem to be the cleanest and burn the best for me. That my own opinion. Good luck!

So I have cooked plenty of pork butts on my weber smoky mountain. Have always turned out great. Now that I have gotten a recteq, I am still new to it. I have done ribs, chicken thighs, wings and they’ve all turned out good. Want to do the pork butt and have a question.

I still want to get a good smoky flavor. We all know the pellet smokers deliver a lot lighter smoke flavor. Can I use the extreme smoke setting for the first two hours or so, or do I need to go out and buy a propane torch and smoke tube and do it that way?
I like to use 1 or 2 smoke tubes from Amazon. They do well on occasions that more smoke is needed.

I use a smoke tube most of the time with the reason being I know I will get a great amount of smoke. If I am using apple pellets I will use 2 tubes. The apple is so subtle I want to make sure it is infused in the meat. I don’t use a tube when I’m doing a papa Murphy’s pizza but I do start off at 200 to give them a little kiss of smoke And then I bounce it up to cooking temp. I use lumberjack pellets and they seem to be the cleanest and burn the best for me. That my own opinion. Good luck!
Same here, can't leave that smoke tube alone!

Don't waste gird money on a smoke tube (unless you want to). I found that putting wood chips on foil directly on the burner plate works good for add'l smoke.
I have an RT-700 and it's no comparison to what my barrel smoker puts out regarding to smoke flavor & became pretty disappointed with pellet grills & all the hype.
I see some people here spend over $200 for an electric smoke tube (think it's called the big Kahuna). Crap, these grills cost plenty, why waste more money. I guess it's the set it & forget it mentality.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WKMCD
Back