Pork First time 1250 St. Louis

HapaPapa

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
I’m a newbie help me. So everything I read was 3-2-1 etc. I’ve made pretty good ribs on gas grills but first time smoker. So… I heard everything contradicting so decided I’d cook 6 racks different style each. Some with foil wrap after 3, some foil and butcher(to try best of both worlds), butcher only and nothing at all. Cooling both top and bottom rack I noticed top cooked quicker. BUT I got all of them stalling out and I’m at 7 hours? Now I’m at 8 plus what am I doing wrong?

Ribs don’t really have a stall,they’re not thick enough. When they are probe tender to your liking they are done
Ok that’s what I thought. Any reason you could think of why at 225 I’m at almost 9 hours ?

Your ribs were done hours ago, probe between the bones if it feels soft,tender they’re done. why do you think they’re not done?

Have you got a digital thermometer to check pit temps just for piece of mind that it is running at "actual set temp" ?

Your calibration could be off. You should verify it with an external ambient probe. When I got my 1250 I set it for 225 and it would hit and maintain temp but it was actually running around 175-180. After I adjusted the offset it was fine.

Your calibration could be off. You should verify it with an external ambient probe. When I got my 1250 I set it for 225 and it would hit and maintain temp but it was actually running around 175-180. After I adjusted the offset it was fine.
Ok so you were completely right. I went to smoke chicken yesterday and looked at the probes vs what the temp said it was at and was way off. Probes read 170 or so when the actual temp on said 225. Reset it and it went back to matching. Thank you

Ok so you were completely right. I went to smoke chicken yesterday and looked at the probes vs what the temp said it was at and was way off. Probes read 170 or so when the actual temp on said 225. Reset it and it went back to matching. Thank you
I'm happy it was an easy fix and you got it figured out!

back to the same issue now the grill read 225 probes say 170. How do I reset or any recommendations? Last time I just shut off and started up again and every thing matched up but not working this time

Have you checked to make sure your probe ports are tight on the controller?

Yeah I finally just adjusted the temperature down 13% from the app so they match the grill
That sounds about right. Mine had the same issue and I set mine at -11 or -12% I can't remember which one. I was honestly truly amazed that it was that far off out of the box but it is fixed now.

Well I think I am wrong. Just talked to support and they told me that the probes were for meat and would never match the grill temp. The lady said you paid $1500 for a grill, trust the temp. Fair enough I will 🤣. Still gotta admit I’m gonna use a different thermometer to check

Cooked ribs multiple times on 590 excellent every time, except when the power went out for a couple of hours, anyway I have done the 321 for St Louis and 221 for Babyback, but the last hour is never an hour.
Most of them time when I pull them after 2 hours in foil they are close and I may throw them back on for a few to dry or put sauce on. Lately we have not been putting sauce on, just putting on for maybe 20 minutes. You can tell when they are done they break or the bones will pull out.

Honestly the ribs are very easy and so good.

I am working up the guts to go naked the entire time. Honeslty they have been so good I am afraid, but will muster the courage.

I am working up the guts to go naked the entire time. Honeslty they have been so good I am afraid, but will muster the courage.
I never thought of cooking naked....but what the hell! I may give it a go this weekend. :ROFLMAO:
streaking will ferrell GIF

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back