First Smoked Salmon

Steele

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Going to smoke my first salmon on my Bull.

What's everyone's preference for smoking salmon?

I've read some people brining overnight and others simply seasoning and going.
Any advice/preference/guidance would be welcomed.

Thanks in advance!

If you check out the recipe section I have one posted that might help. I've changed it up a bit since I posted. I now do just one glaze at one hour and internal temperature of 135.

If you check out the recipe section I have one posted that might help. I've changed it up a bit since I posted. I now do just one glaze at one hour and internal temperature of 135.

Thank you! Going w/the brine overnight then!

When/how often did you glaze w/maple syrup?

I found that just a single glaze at about 1 to 1.5 hours into the cook was plenty. I used to do it more often but toned it down. The family thought it was too sweet with multiple glazes.

Going to smoke my first salmon on my Bull.

What's everyone's preference for smoking salmon?

I've read some people brining overnight and others simply seasoning and going.
Any advice/preference/guidance would be welcomed.

Thanks in advance!
Check out Hank Shaw’s recipe. Google “Hank Shaw smoked salmon”. Excellent recipe!

I did salmon 2 days ago. I like to start with a little Parkay as a base to keep the seasonings from running away, then I drizzle the salmon very lightly with a little honey and rub it into the salmon so it fuses with the Parkay. I then use use a combination of Old Bay, garlic powder, onion powder, pepper, and Lowry's Seasoning Salt as a rub. Once applied, to both sides, I let the fish sit wrapped to keep the air out for about 45 minutes. At the 45 minute point, I start the grill at 200 degrees and when warm (about 15 minutes) I take the now room temperature salmon and put it on a non-porous grill pad. I let it set at 200 for about 30 minutes for decent but not overwhelming smokiness, then take the grill up to 235 degrees until the salmon's IT equals 130. I pull and wrap in foil increase the grill to 450 and using grill grates, reverse sear the salmon on both sides for approximately 2 minutes or until the IT=145. Pull wrap again for 15 minutes and serve. I've never had a complaint and the juices released when you open the foil will astound you. If you are lazy, just take the salmon to 145, pull wrap and eat. It will be flavorful and as moist as rare salmon but cooked to meed all FDA guidelines.
Edit: I forgot to add I buy my salmon filet with the skin on one side. I have found that it keeps more natural moisture in the fish and when I trim it before seasoning, i can control how much residual fat I want to remain for flavoring. I realize you can purchase it with the skin completely removed but when I do, I can tell some of the natural flavors tend to leach out.

Just one of many techniques, but this site has many, many more.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WKMCD
Back