First Recteq (Rectec) - New RT-340 or lightly used RT-680?

pflizzle

So, I’ve been eyeing my first RecTeq and I’d pretty much decided on ordering a new RT-340.

Then, someone posted a lightly used RT-680 for sale about 1.5-2 hours away from me.

She sent some pictures and it is in great shape, with maybe just some slight surface rust in a spot or two but the grated and everything else look nearly new. She said it was a gift to her husband several years ago, who used it a few times and then sadly passed.

I could get my hands on the 680 for around $450-500 and of course the 340 is $700 new.

Wifi isn’t a big deal or selling point for me and even I wanted to add it at some point, I can get that module for $200 from RecTeq.

I guess the question is.. is it worth the extra $200-300 to get the newer model (albeit smaller version) or would you grab the 680?

Aren’t the 680 models just powder coated steel versus stainless? Are all 680 models the same?

A little context.. normally I’m cooking for just myself, my wife, and our daughter. But we do have get together sometimes (recently had a get together where I grilled for 11 people). Does the 680 do well for small cooks, since that’s what I’ll be doing 80% of the time?

Thanks in advance!

So, I’ve been eyeing my first RecTeq and I’d pretty much decided on ordering a new RT-340.

Then, someone posted a lightly used RT-680 for sale about 1.5-2 hours away from me.

She sent some pictures and it is in great shape, with maybe just some slight surface rust in a spot or two but the grated and everything else look nearly new. She said it was a gift to her husband several years ago, who used it a few times and then sadly passed.

I could get my hands on the 680 for around $450-500 and of course the 340 is $700 new.

Wifi isn’t a big deal or selling point for me and even I wanted to add it at some point, I can get that module for $200 from RecTeq.

I guess the question is.. is it worth the extra $200-300 to get the newer model (albeit smaller version) or would you grab the 680?

Aren’t the 680 models just powder coated steel versus stainless? Are all 680 models the same?

A little context.. normally I’m cooking for just myself, my wife, and our daughter. But we do have get together sometimes (recently had a get together where I grilled for 11 people). Does the 680 do well for small cooks, since that’s what I’ll be doing 80% of the time?

Thanks in advance!
I found a used 680 after I purchased my 700. I like both grills. If you purchase the 680 plan on a updated controller (as you know) a 2 rpm auger motor and possibly updated igniter/ firepot. IMHO, no more than $400 providing it's in great shape.BTW, I use the 680 for small cooks and baking.

Last edited:
I found a used 680 after I purchased my 700. I like both grills. If you purchase the 680 plan on a updated controller (as you know) a 2 rpm auger motor and possibly updated igniter/ firepot. IMHO, no more than $400 providing it's in great shape.BTW, I use the 680 for small cooks and baking.
Hmmm I’d not heard of upgrading the auger motor. Is that a weak spot on the 680 I guess?

So it seems like I’d be $400 in for the 680, $200 in for the controller, $80 for the better igniter system, and whatever the cost is of an auger motor. So, probably $750 I’m guessing for a fully built up 680 vs $700 + tax for a new 340.

Hmmm I’d not heard of upgrading the auger motor. Is that a weak spot on the 680 I guess?

So it seems like I’d be $400 in for the 680, $200 in for the controller, $80 for the better igniter system, and whatever the cost is of an auger motor. So, probably $750 I’m guessing for a fully built up 680 vs $700 + tax for a new 340.
Correct, plus no warranty on the 680. My 680 was listed for $250 here on the forum. Needless to say I jumped on it.

Gotcha, thanks a lot for the information man!

I may be leaning forwards just ordering a new 340.
Good luck with your search.
Oh, welcome to the forum.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WKMCD
Back