Trailblazer First question for new RecTeq owner

northgagriller

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
For my first question on here after ordering the 590 on the Labor Day sale, I wonder your thoughts on initial seasoning.
A very experienced smoker/griller here, just new to pellet and RecTeq.
I’ve already watched many videos and read some threads here, the consensus seems to be just burn in and then cook some fatty foods.
Is there any negatives of actually spraying or wiping oil on interior surfaces when doing burn in? Then doing fatty cooks?
Just saying cooking fatty foods does splatter but doesn’t really get great coverage.
I like good even seasoning…

For my first question on here after ordering the 590 on the Labor Day sale, I wonder your thoughts on initial seasoning.
I’ve already watched many videos and read some threads here, the consensus seems to be just burn in and then cook some fatty foods.
Is there any negatives of actually spraying or wiping oil on interior surfaces when doing burn in? Then doing fatty cooks?
Just saying cooking fatty foods does splatter but doesn’t really get great coverage.
I did the intial burn off for a few hours then started cooking. If you usually season grills a certain way try it and let us know how it goes. Congrats on your purchase.

Maybe I skipped some steps, but I literally did the burn in, wiped the grill racks down with a little grapeseed oil (just because), and then cooked a pork shoulder overnight. After a 14 hour first cook I deemed the grill seasoned and never looked back. I did not do any further seasoning inside the pit and have not had any negative repercussions.

My takeaway after a year of cooking on these things is that they sure make it easy to create predictably consistent and good food. Enjoy!

My first burn in for the 590 was smoothe and I gave it a good wipe down on the racks and tried some wings first cook. The next morning a shoulder went on and I’ve had great luck with it.

Thanks for the replies. Will see how it goes. Now patiently waiting tue notification it has shipped…

After seeing it done, I sprayed my 1070 with canola oil, on all the walls, grates and other inside surfaces and got a very nice amber seasoning on all. Recently after using a water pan with a rib cook, I noted that the now blackened seasoning on the inside lid, bubbled and much of it peeled off. I suspect it is a steam result, and will keep it in mind next time I plan a thorough interior cleaning. ??

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CRG
Back