First Pork Shoulder

Smoke'n Hot

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Greetings Fellow Pellet heads,
I have had 700 now for a year and month. I have never cooked a pork shoulder until today . I got a 11.5 bone in shoulder and seasoned it with a blend of Butt Rub , brown sugar , cinnamon and cracked pepper. I put it in a pan per the wisdom discovered here . The cook started at 11 PM last night. It's around 181 per my therma pen. I also added a shallow pie pan with water and spritz with apple juice every hour since 7 AM. I think I got a few more to go until the rest .

Attachments

• IMG_20220123_112902958.jpg
    IMG_20220123_112902958.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 237
That looks amazing! Enjoy.. :love:

I'm in the same boat as you literally time owning the Bull and never made pulled port on it

Well today I picked up my first Butt and will finally take my aim at doing this finally.
I have gout and it's under control with meds . I just avoid pork. I like it but I don't want a flare up and pork seems to be my nemissis. So, I generally don't cook it. It took me 15 hours to smoke it at 225. It's resting right now . When I pull it out of the cooler to pull it I will take photos and update .

Last edited:
Greetings Fellow Pellet heads,
I have had 700 now for a year and month. I have never cooked a pork shoulder until today . I got a 11.5 bone in shoulder and seasoned it with a blend of Butt Rub , brown sugar , cinnamon and cracked pepper. I put it in a pan per the wisdom discovered here . The cook started at 11 PM last night. It's around 181 per my therma pen. I also added a shallow pie pan with water and spritz with apple juice every hour since 7 AM. I think I got a few more to go until the rest .
Congrats and enjoy!

Whats the reasoning behind putting the butt in a pan? I would worry that sitting in all that fat would run the crust and make it soggy...maybe not?

Wow.. that really looks great. Fingers crossed mine will come out 1/2 as good as that one! Bet it was tasty!

Helps me to know timing.. they size I got is exactly like yours just boneless.

I read on here or some place about the magic of a little cinnamon and brown sugar for ribs. I figured what the heck and added 2 teaspoons to 1/2 cup of butt rub and maybe 1/8 cup of brown sugar. I swirled it all together and it was good.

It was real tasty . I used apple pellets to smoke it with too. I think once it's to the stall you can mist it down with apple juice too. If you have time before the stall , do it then too..I wanted to sleep so I started the mist thing when I woke up . 😆. The scapula didn't take up a lot of space not sure if you did a 10 pound without bone if would truly cook much quicker . It will cook a tad quicker but how much I dont know because this is my first one .

The question about using the the pan. I read here a few folks do it to improve the moistness of the meat. Today was 38 as a high and it's dry . Adding the water pan and cooking in the pan I think did help maintain the humidity inside the smoker some. Youre right though, it was a little soggy on the bottom but when I pulled it apart and mixed it all up you could not tell the difference.

I read on here or some place about the magic of a little cinnamon and brown sugar for ribs. I figured what the heck and added 2 teaspoons to 1/2 cup of butt rub and maybe 1/8 cup of brown sugar. I swirled it all together and it was good.

It was real tasty . I used apple pellets to smoke it with too. I think once it's to the stall you can mist it down with apple juice too. If you have time before the stall , do it then too..I wanted to sleep so I started the mist thing when I woke up . 😆. The scapula didn't take up a lot of space not sure if you did a 10 pound without bone if would truly cook much quicker . It will cook a tad quicker but how much I dont know because this is my first one .

The question about using the the pan. I read here a few folks do it to improve the moistness of the meat. Today was 38 as a high and it's dry . Adding the water pan and cooking in the pan I think did help maintain the humidity inside the smoker some. Youre right though, it was a little soggy on the bottom but when I pulled it apart and mixed it all up you could not tell the difference.

Thanks again.. I think the whole point for pulled pork is to have some moisture so I think the pan & water is a good idea along with spritzing it. I'll plan on similar timing for mine.

Is there a specific place in the smoker that you guys put your water pans? Or does it not matter?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MuddyBill
Back