First pellet grill Turkey

BradRT700

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Well I cooked a spatchcock 20 pound turkey yesterday on the bull. Went great! Alton Brown’s brine method ( after spathcocked), also added some Meat Church Gospel to the brine. Then covered with compound butter just before going on the RT700. Also put all the goodies Mr Brown said to stuff it with under it on the mess mat I cooked it on.4 1/2 hours at 325. Let set for 45 minutes and it was great. Already plan to do it next year.
24BDCAE2-8330-4C67-91AE-854EC715B6FF.jpeg
2ECC9D37-E421-4880-A1AB-45A40DAD6CC0.jpeg

Well I cooked a spatchcock 20 pound turkey yesterday on the bull. Went great! Alton Brown’s brine method ( after spathcocked), also added some Meat Church Gospel to the brine. Then covered with compound butter just before going on the RT700. Also put all the goodies Mr Brown said to stuff it with under it on the mess mat I cooked it on.4 1/2 hours at 325. Let set for 45 minutes and it was great. Already plan to do it next year.View attachment 18043View attachment 18044
Thanks. I was a bit concerned first time cooking one and for family.

My first time doing that same method, spatchcock.
I ordered my bird from Wildfork Foods. (ABF, Brined Plainsville) 15LB.
Came out FANTASTIC.
Flavor was phenomenal.
I cooked it at 350° Used 1 smoke tube for added smokiness.

12.jpg
13.jpg
14.jpg
15.jpg
16.jpeg

Well I cooked a spatchcock 20 pound turkey yesterday on the bull. Went great! Alton Brown’s brine method ( after spathcocked), also added some Meat Church Gospel to the brine. Then covered with compound butter just before going on the RT700. Also put all the goodies Mr Brown said to stuff it with under it on the mess mat I cooked it on.4 1/2 hours at 325. Let set for 45 minutes and it was great. Already plan to do it next year.View attachment 18043View attachment 18044
That looks phenomenal! Did you baste it during the process? How did the meat fare....was it dry? Do you think brining made a difference? Looking forward to doing a bird on my RT700.

Didn’t baste it other than the butter mixture melting during the cook. It was not dry at all even the leftover weasel moist. We have been using the Alton Brown brine for a few years with occasional and slight changes to the mix. It has always turned out very good. I don’t think we will be cooking a turkey without brining with the results we have had. Probably going to do similar for whole chicken in the future &see how that works out. I would highly recommend trying his brine method. Easy to find it online.

Interesting that you do the Alton Brown brine. I’m a Food Network junkie and have been doing his brine process for years. It does indeed enhance the bird…oven toasted or pellet smoked.

Gotta say though, my first time brining one (many years ago) I really messed up. After taking the turkey out of the brine, I rinsed it off thoroughly. Then set it on the roasting rack/pan to dry it off and let the skin dry out some. Then, I oiled it and seasoned the inside and outside of the bird. Put it in the oven and roasted it.

Oh my! Brain fart on my part. I didn’t put 1 + 1 together. The meat itself, without the skin, was edible. The gravy…wwwaaayyy too salty. I don’t know what I was thinking seasoning it after brining. I had always heard the bring would help the meat be moist when the cooking was over. And I simply did not account for it seasoning the bird. Duh!!! So that was my big, hard-learned experience with my first brine.

Interesting that you do the Alton Brown brine. I’m a Food Network junkie and have been doing his brine process for years. It does indeed enhance the bird…oven toasted or pellet smoked.

Gotta say though, my first time brining one (many years ago) I really messed up. After taking the turkey out of the brine, I rinsed it off thoroughly. Then set it on the roasting rack/pan to dry it off and let the skin dry out some. Then, I oiled it and seasoned the inside and outside of the bird. Put it in the oven and roasted it.

Oh my! Brain fart on my part. I didn’t put 1 + 1 together. The meat itself, without the skin, was edible. The gravy…wwwaaayyy too salty. I don’t know what I was thinking seasoning it after brining. I had always heard the bring would help the meat be moist when the cooking was over. And I simply did not account for it seasoning the bird. Duh!!! So that was my big, hard-learned experience with my first brine.
I have done variations of the Alton Brown brine…adding fresh rosemary, sage, and thyme to the brine. But about 2 years ago, I came across this brine mix at Costco. I’ve used it ever since. I really like it’s flavor.

76BBFE7A-AB5B-443A-AC00-6701F27BCCA7.jpeg

ABF00FAC-B119-4456-AC92-D1C27EB36ABE.jpeg

I know what you mean about the salty gravy. We didn’t add any seasoning to the bird but did season the gravy as we usually had started out and it was already too salty. We used broth to make more gravy to dilute it with, man we had a lot of gravy that was just ok. Didn’t make that mistake again. Now we use giblets and the neck and trimmed off skin as and this year the back bone to make gravy with and some drippings.
I wil definitely be getting the Costco brine seasoning to try, thanks!

I love smoking whole bone in turkey breasts, have done several brined/injected/basted....etc, and honestly I don't feel the extra effort and work is worth it, just properly seasoned and cooking at 275 till done works amazingly well for me. I do baste with seasoned butter once hits around 145 internal, but that literally is the only thing I do other than the initial seasoning rub.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back