First Meatloaf

Graying Mantis

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bullseye
Did my first meatloaf on the Bullseye the other day. Used the Smokehaus meatloaf recipe on the Recteq site, except left out the cheese. Cooked at LO for 30 minutes, 225 for 30 minutes then 375 for 90 minutes. Sauced at 150 and pulled at 165. Turned out OK. Sauce and pull temps were 10degress above the recipe instructions and the loaf was just a tad dry. Big issue is the recipe. Far too much sausage. Will try the next one with 1/4 pound of sausage or no sausage,
Meatloaf.jpg

I found it too dry as well when I made it.

When I cook my meatloaf I used 6 lb of Costco beef 88/12 and 1 LB sausage. I also add a few sleeves of Ritz crackers instead of bread crumbs.

It looks great.. do you think the dryness was the sausage or the cook temps/times?

It looks great.. do you think the dryness was the sausage or the cook temps/times?
I think increasing the amount of binder and liquid probably would have helped in my case. Granted, @Graying Mantis’ meatloaf looks a bit different than mine, so maybe they have other ideas.

I used a meat thermometer and mine turned out great. I just used our family recipe. Items like meatloaf are tricky on the smoker. I don't think they respond to, "low and slow" like a lot of other meats.

I used a meat thermometer and mine turned out great. I just used our family recipe. Items like meatloaf are tricky on the smoker. I don't think they respond to, "low and slow" like a lot of other meats.
Me too. I cook mine at 275 to an IT of 160. Rest for 15 min. Yum. Also, I make individual sized mini loaves so they cook more evenly and freeze leftovers into nice sized portions.

I followed the recipe exactly, including using 2 probe thermometers. In this instance, I really think the issue was the recipe and lack of binding substances.

That’s okay, though. It gives me an excuse to make more meatloaf recipes 😋

These days we use a blend of ground beef, pork, and veal for cooking meatloaf. You can source the meats separately or buy the 3 already mixed.

To keep it moist it helps to include a panade - a mixture of milk, bread, and egg.

Did my first meatloaf on the Bullseye the other day. Used the Smokehaus meatloaf recipe on the Recteq site, except left out the cheese. Cooked at LO for 30 minutes, 225 for 30 minutes then 375 for 90 minutes. Sauced at 150 and pulled at 165. Turned out OK. Sauce and pull temps were 10degress above the recipe instructions and the loaf was just a tad dry. Big issue is the recipe. Far too much sausage. Will try the next one with 1/4 pound of sausage or no sausage,View attachment 11925
Try this one just not so much beef paste

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back