First Low and Slow EVER

I've tried smoking brisket from 225F-400F.

I did the 400F per Harry Soo's youtube. Competition trim he calls it, where the point is exposed and all the flat is trimmed back. Huge waste of trimmings, but it is for comps where big money prizes outweigh the cost of meats. It came out really well and cooked very fast. I recommend everyone try a truly hot and fast cook of at least 350 or higher. It's a good "hip pocket" piece of knowledge in case you get cornered to produce brisket, ribs, or pulled pork without enough time for lower temp cooks.

Lately, I've settled into 275F in the pellet grill. I think I'm getting a slightly more moist product than lower temps. Harry Soo also recommended 250-275F to our class. I think it's the sweet spot, but it could be all in my head.

Harry also did this video, comparing the two extremes.

Aaron Franklin smokes his briskets at 275-300 and his turn out half decent. There isn’t anything magical about 225 or 250 but for most of us it gives a bigger window for getting it right. When you go hot and fast (and you don’t cook 100+ briskets a day) low and slow is likely to allow you to be more consistent. On briskets the “rest” is probably the most underrated, underutilized portion of the cook IMHO.
There’s a good chance Aaron uses very-well marbled (high-quality) briskets. That sort of marbling may take the higher heat than what I buy (choice) at Costco. 😊

There’s a good chance Aaron uses very-well marbled (high-quality) briskets. That sort of marbling may take the higher heat than what I buy (choice) at Costco. 😊
Something to be said about the thermal mass of those big smokers too. Even if you're only checking every hour or 2, the temp drops a ton in our smaller smokers, and it takes that little firepot a little longer to pull it back. just one (of many) thoughts about the art/science of smoking...

In my opinion low and slow (very slow) is the only way to go for brisket. My last one was on the smoker for approx: 20 hrs at 225, then rested in a cooler wrapped in towels for 2-3 hours before slicing at a small party I recently attended. It was gone in about 30 minutes while all the other food went pretty much untouched.

To say it was well liked is an understatement. People RAVED about the brisket. One attendee stated that he would pay me $200+ per brisket if I would be willing to supply them for future get togethers.
Brisket is my next adventure. (Cooking my first Boston Butt today.). If you don't mind, would you please share your brisket recipe?

Brisket is my next adventure. (Cooking my first Boston Butt today.). If you don't mind, would you please share your brisket recipe?
Nothing special. Just Kosher salt, course pepper and granulated garlic for the rub. I prefer hickory pellets for this as well as a smoke tube. It'samazing how turns out.

I brined, injected, and smoked low & slow for 14 hours, wrapped it in paper and a blanket and let it rest for 4 hours. It was still very warm when I pulled it apart. It turned out really tasty!

Attachments

• D106E198-7CDC-4774-9B64-B14017672470.jpeg
    D106E198-7CDC-4774-9B64-B14017672470.jpeg
    5.2 MB · Views: 70
  • 0A524F29-B2DF-49C9-877C-92894CD85BB3.jpeg
    0A524F29-B2DF-49C9-877C-92894CD85BB3.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 73
Just finished up another whole rack of ribs. Ran my Weber kettle with the slow n sear for 5 hours. Waiting for the wife to get home so we can start eating. 😀

Attachments

• 487CBA2A-9E9B-45EE-87D6-1534A4070351.jpeg
    487CBA2A-9E9B-45EE-87D6-1534A4070351.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 75
  • 8CA64D3F-CF24-4F2B-A8C0-852C3FADDAAE.jpeg
    8CA64D3F-CF24-4F2B-A8C0-852C3FADDAAE.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 81

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back